The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sintefex I want more reviews !!!
Old 9th March 2007
Gear Guru

Sintefex I want more reviews !!!

I like the stuff a lot, any more reviews please ? anyone hate it ?
Old 9th March 2007

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaza View Post
I like the stuff a lot, any more reviews please ? anyone hate it ?
Cool gear, very versatile, lots of power, great features. However, there is no such thing as a free lunch; everything has its limitations. They do indeed sample the gain reduction characteristics of the compressors, and not simply impulses of the signal path. However, some of the sampled curves are better tham others, and some don't work as well at extremes. Then again, in a mastering context, one is usually not looking for extremes of gain reduction in a compressor, so that lessens the impact of this particular limitation.

Often overlooked is the EQ. It has a linear phase mode, and has 4 bands of sample EQ plus 4 bands of straight digital EQ. That's 8 bands if you want 'em. If you use the sampled compressor, you still get the 4 bands of digital EQ. This can be put pre- or post- compression, or in the sidechain. You also can process M/S.

All in all, Sintefex makes pretty cool kit. It doesn't replace the analog toys in the room, but it certainly plays nice with them. It also offers you many extra color options in the digital domain. You can expect more from a Sintefex than a Liquid Mix. It takes a lot of DSP for something this ambitious.
Old 9th March 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post
Cool gear, very versatile, lots of power, great features. However, there is no such thing as a free lunch; everything has its limitations. They do indeed sample the gain reduction characteristics of the compressors, and not simply impulses of the signal path. However, some of the sampled curves are better tham others, and some don't work as well at extremes. Then again, in a mastering context, one is usually not looking for extremes of gain reduction in a compressor, so that lessens the impact of this particular limitation.

Often overlooked is the EQ. It has a linear phase mode, and has 4 bands of sample EQ plus 4 bands of straight digital EQ. That's 8 bands if you want 'em. If you use the sampled compressor, you still get the 4 bands of digital EQ. This can be put pre- or post- compression, or in the sidechain. You also can process M/S.

All in all, Sintefex makes pretty cool kit. It doesn't replace the analog toys in the room, but it certainly plays nice with them. It also offers you many extra color options in the digital domain. You can expect more from a Sintefex than a Liquid Mix. It takes a lot of DSP for something this ambitious.

thamks a bunch, i like fairchild, tube tech, vari mu, ssl 9000, and the VR Neve , the La3 and 2 can be fun as well, depends on what you are after, the only beef i have with it, the smart c2 must be off on it because i think it sucks, if smart sounds like that i do not care to ever own the analog one, can you commit to that, smart that is ? also i got mine for 1600, thats a deal to have those compressors even if they are some off a ltttle, most compressors cost more than that for just one. i think Sintefex is really great and has tons of headroom and will handle the volume well, make a really LOUD master.
Old 9th March 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
As usual Jay has put it very succinctly - I particularly like "It doesn't replace the analog toys in the room, but it certainly plays nice with them" as a quote - I may use that!

Personal favourites here are the Fairchild (can give a nice 'zing') and the Decca EQ (check out the 32k shelf). The LA2A has quite a hefty bass lift for me and can work wonders with anaemic material. Compressor-wise, I don't use any gain reduction these days as I get better results elsewhere, but as a colour box my FX 2000 is great - now I have the Alorithmix Blue EQ on review I'm having lots of fun laying the various colours on it - another thing the Sintefex is good at IMO is the digital EQ, and there are a few tricks you can do with it that the Blue doesn't replace.
Old 9th March 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowland View Post
As usual Jay has put it very succinctly - I particularly like "It doesn't replace the analog toys in the room, but it certainly plays nice with them" as a quote - I may use that!

Personal favourites here are the Fairchild (can give a nice 'zing') and the Decca EQ (check out the 32k shelf). The LA2A has quite a hefty bass lift for me and can work wonders with anaemic material. Compressor-wise, I don't use any gain reduction these days as I get better results elsewhere, but as a colour box my FX 2000 is great - now I have the Alorithmix Blue EQ on review I'm having lots of fun laying the various colours on it - another thing the Sintefex is good at IMO is the digital EQ, and there are a few tricks you can do with it that the Blue doesn't replace.
I agree with the color alone in Sintefex is enough reason to have it in the chain, I use all of them but i catch myself using the VR Neve and Fairchild the most, Tube tech is great for the lighter side, sometimes it can depend what I or the artist wants to stand out the most, maybe guitars, vocals....i like having the choice in a single rack space with the cx2000, i use the 44.1 sample rate, it just sounds better.
Old 9th March 2007

Verified Member
Quote:
I agree with the color alone in Sintefex is enough reason to have it in the chain, I use all of them but i catch myself using the VR Neve and Fairchild the most, Tube tech is great for the lighter side, sometimes it can depend what I or the artist wants to stand out the most, maybe guitars, vocals....i like having the choice in a single rack space with the cx2000, i use the 44.1 sample rate, it just sounds better.
I like the Fairchild too. It actually can clear up a muddy bass nicely. It has a nice presence to it that can take the blanket off the mid-bass.

The CX2000 is cool, but you only get 3 band digital EQ instead of 4 (still available pre-, post-, or sidechain), and no sampled EQ, M/S, or linear phase. It really is designed as a compressor, and as such, has knobs for all the functions, and fits in a nice compact package. The DSP and samples are the same, so you don't lose anything. The other difference is that the USB interface and remote control software for the CX is only PC. The FX units have Mac OSX software available. The CX also has less onboard memory (no hard drive like the FX units), so you need the remote software to gain access to all the additional samples, which you can store on your computer.

As for the 44.1/48k rate, that's not surprising in some ways. While 96k can theoretically put some non-linear process artifacts outside the audible band, the way the signal path sampling works will actually put some other artifacts into the audible band. You take separate samples for the higher rate, and the sample period is shorter at the higher sample rate. This causes a little ripple in the sampled response to occur in the lows to low mids if I remember correctly. While it's not usually a major drawback, if you happen to be sensitive to that side-effect more than the non-lin stuff, or if your method of use happens to highlight one more than the other, then it's certainly understandable that the 1X rate may be preferred to the 2X rate by you. I actually use it at 1X rates more often than 2X rates as well.
Old 9th March 2007
Gear Guru

I rarely use the EQ, but the EQ is nice to have, like you said its really a compressor, thats what i use it as..... i cannot say enough about the cx2000 unit for 1600.00 and having the variety pack of the different ones. I remember having a TC Electronic express that made loud mixes as well but a super super cold ass sounding thin unit, could not handle that, sold it. Just looking for some warm glue and some harmonics, the Sintefex does both very well indeed. ps: i do use the other files as well.

JAY....what did you think about the C2 ? I hated it...
Old 10th March 2007

Verified Member
Quote:
JAY....what did you think about the C2 ? I hated it...
I don't use the C2 patch, but then, I don't really love the real thing either. It's OK, but nothing special to my ears. I'd rather have an actual SSL comp if I'm looking for that style. However, so many projects come in that already have been through the onboard SSL comp, or sometimes an outboard smart, that there's little point to adding more of that on top of what's already there.
Old 10th March 2007
Lives for gear

I am very pleased with my ff-LM (only Sintefex related stuff I got), it does what I expect of it.

Sound is clear, and characteristics is there if the input is pushed up.

Nothing I would use in mastering, but makes me feel relaxed during mixing.
Got a major source to turn to when I want cpu usage relief.

A lot of tracks (in-the-box generated stuff) dont always need prime signal processing and ff-LM makes the job very well, for subtile/major enhancement or eg taming unwanted dynamics.

Mostly worked with the dynamic, not that impressed with the EQs yet.

Will definitly check out the FX2000 & CX2000.

Old 10th March 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Yordan View Post
I am very pleased with my ff-LM (only Sintefex related stuff I got), it does what I expect of it.

Sound is clear, and characteristics is there if the input is pushed up.

Nothing I would use in mastering, but makes me feel relaxed during mixing.
Got a major source to turn to when I want cpu usage relief.

A lot of tracks (in-the-box generated stuff) dont always need prime signal processing and ff-LM makes the job very well, for subtile/major enhancement or eg taming unwanted dynamics.

Mostly worked with the dynamic, not that impressed with the EQs yet.

Will definitly check out the FX2000 & CX2000.

I don't use eq, i ve always been a little gun shy of using a eq when doing my mastering unless its another job that comes in from another studio and it really needs it, my stuff that i record i just do not need it, but again the cx2000 can really smooth out things in the dynamic range and give you many different flavors of compression, and at the same time give you a VERY LOUD warm master. I was so tried of compressors changing the sound when squashing them to ever what level you need, no problem with the Sintefex. I cannot see myself ever wanting anything else unless its another Sintefex update unit with more samples. Its good to know about all the outboard compressors out there and with Sintefex you get a enitre college degree in that.
Old 10th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't use eq, i ve always been a little gun shy of using a eq when doing my mastering unless its another job that comes in from another studio and it really needs it, my stuff that i record i just do not need it, but again the cx2000 can really smooth out things in the dynamic range and give you many different flavors of compression, and at the same time give you a VERY LOUD warm master. I was so tried of compressors changing the sound when squashing them to ever what level you need, no problem with the Sintefex. I cannot see myself ever wanting anything else unless its another Sintefex update unit with more samples. Its good to know about all the outboard compressors out there and with Sintefex you get a enitre college degree in that.
Hiya

Me 2, I dont feel the need to threat my own mixes with EQ on every track. I mostly use EQ to remove stuff like low end on synths, guitars etc so that I get a cleared low end. And then I enhance the bass & kick so that it provides a nice foundation to build on. Then everything mostly fall into place. Comps are for me either used for coloring (to get a specific sound) or to do transparent duties. As 'normalising' a track so that it does not fluctuate to much within a song arrangement.

Working with soft comps in a master change that is sequencial, demands very much of the ME & quality of the comp. I seldom use VST comp for this. Think most of them cant compete with outboards.

Impulse tech is probably in it's childhood still, but some products are better than other.

Sintefex has made a nice job so far, IMHO.

My fav emulation on LM so far has been Danish Tube, I think it's called?
Probably a Tube Tech based preset. That I tweaked a bit to get a descent punch in both kick and snare.

Old 10th March 2007
Gear Guru

Great to see the good reviews coming in, i was just seeing if they a were any haters/dislikers becuase i just cannot see how you could not like Sintefex for what it does !!!
Old 11th March 2007
Gear Addict

i love my fx8000, and doing a lot of own impulses....

i sampled a K&H UE100 tube eq, and its sounds so great.
even i asked my vinyl cutter to press the test signal, so i have a great 12" impulse.

Old 11th March 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAcid View Post
i love my fx8000, and doing a lot of own impulses....

even i asked my vinyl cutter to press the test signal, so i have a great 12" impulse.

Thanks Rob, i bet that was cool sounding. yet another positive Sintefex user.
Old 16th March 2007
Gear Addict

i really liked mine but ultimately i didn't see the need for a digital analog box when i had so much good analog equipment.

if you don't have a bunch of analog gear at your disposal I can't recommend it enough.
Old 17th March 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmasters View Post
i really liked mine but ultimately i didn't see the need for a digital analog box when i had so much good analog equipment.

if you don't have a bunch of analog gear at your disposal I can't recommend it enough.
I understand that one, analog is KING..... i just cannot afford to keep up the stuff, to much maintance that can be expensive.
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAcid View Post
I recently added a pair to my chain. I worked on them for a long time to knock them into shape. They sound amazing.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Hi
Do you still use this item
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I believe Joe Caithness who posts on here (the king of vintage digital) had one for a while.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
i'd only have one again (if I needed it) and if fan was removed and HD replaced with SSD.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post
I believe Joe Caithness who posts on here (the king of vintage digital) had one for a while.
Yep, looks cool, entirely a waste of time in 2020 though.

I'm waiting for them to be 100 bucks so I can play with them again.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Still using mine.. like all digital units from that era, it has it's own character and charm. Not planning on giving it up or stop using it.

EDIT: .. to be clear, I'm using it for mixing (6 channels) not for mastering.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search