The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone using TC Clarity M plugin/hardware meter? Monitor Controllers
Old 19th November 2016
Lives for gear

Anyone using TC Clarity M plugin/hardware meter?

As the title says, are any mastering engineers on here using the Clarity M? I am interested in freeing up some computer screen real-estate and I particularly like the radar loudness meter for its ability to meter over time and it's target level adjustments.

However, I am always skeptical of plugin/hardware connected devices. Stability, support, responsiveness are just a few concerns.

Is anyone using it? What are your thoughts?
thx

Clarity M | TC Electronic
Old 20th November 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Could be helpful to many, possibly more for surround (where screen real estate is obviously more of an issue with metering plugs) than stereo work. Also perhaps a firmware update to include VU mode (with accurate ballistics and cal levels) and 88.2k support (currently not supported in I/O or plug in mode)?
Old 21st November 2016
Gear Addict
Old 22nd November 2016
Here for the gear

Ive been initially interested in the hardware too. It does feel a bit limiting though and I dont like using USB connections to alleviate some shortcomings. In the end, I ended up simply using my old IPad with Duet Display to get extra estate for my metering plugin (since the display on the hardware is pretty much covered by their software as well).
Old 22nd November 2016
Here for the gear

We’re aware that Clarity M at the moment can be difficult to find online in Europe.

It is not in any way discontinued, on the contrary, the reception of Clarity M has been amazing.

If you send our Facebook team a message with your location, they’ll be able to direct you to your nearest retailer.

https://www.facebook.com/tcelectronic/
Old 22nd November 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas@TC View Post
We’re aware that Clarity M at the moment can be difficult to find online in Europe.

It is not in any way discontinued, on the contrary, the reception of Clarity M has been amazing.

If you send our Facebook team a message with your location, they’ll be able to direct you to your nearest retailer.

2 questions

Can we use the meter with rca spdif connection without purchasing any additional part?

Will new features be added in next firmwares?
Old 22nd November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit monga View Post
2 questions

Can we use the meter with rca spdif connection without purchasing any additional part?

Will new features be added in next firmwares?
Yes, the included cable has BNC connectors, but we also incude an (one) RCA>BNC adaptor.

Yes.
We are preparing an update with performance and stability improvements based on inputs from users. We will also release new features, as well as improve the ones already there, stay tuned!
Old 22nd November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas@TC View Post

Thanks for your presence here. I'm also considering the Clarity M.

One thing I like about the TC LM2n plugin has a setting that tells the loudness stats to reset when my DAW transport stops and restarts.

Is there a mode that allows the Clarity M to do this? Is there a way it can know when to reset it's loudness readings instead of having previously played audio influence the readings?
Old 22nd November 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Thomas;

Goniometer (Lissajous) and 96k support is a must for me.

Will it be available in future upgrades?

will buy it immediately if so.

Best,

Gregor
Old 22nd November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
One thing I like about the TC LM2n plugin has a setting that tells the loudness stats to reset when my DAW transport stops and restarts.
Yes.
The Clarity M plug-in has the same transport functions as the LM2n plug-in, so if you use Clarity M in plug-in mode, you'll get the exact feature you're asking for.

Quote:
Is there a mode that allows the Clarity M to do this? Is there a way it can know when to reset it's loudness readings instead of having previously played audio influence the readings?
Yes.
You can use your DAWs automation feature to automate RESET and PLAY/STOP, so you can automate 100% when the measuring starts and stops.

B.t.w., with the included connector cable, you can hook up an external switch that can be configured to RESET and START/STOP.
This is great if you use the meter in live applications.
Old 22nd November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor z View Post
Thomas;

Goniometer (Lissajous) and 96k support is a must for me.

Will it be available in future upgrades?

will buy it immediately if so.

+ 1 to this.
Old 22nd November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaPointe View Post
+ 1 to this.
Also +1 from me
Old 22nd November 2016
Gear Addict
Waves paz style frequency analyser
Old 22nd November 2016
Lives for gear

96k would also be a requirement for me to purchase. I'm honestly a bit surprised it's not supported now.
Old 22nd November 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
96k would also be a requirement for me to purchase. I'm honestly a bit surprised it's not supported now.
Is this possible with a firmware upgrade or they have to do some hardware changes?
Old 22nd November 2016
Old 11th December 2016
Lives for gear

I just got the Clarity M a few days ago and it has been very solid. The screen is beautiful, the layout and integration is very clean and I am using at 96kHz in plugin mode. There is no lag at all. It would be nice to be able to customize the screen a bit more, but it is already very customizable. The transport integration in plugin mode is a game changer for me (as far as metering goes). I bought a RAM mount as well and the mounting system is really nice.
Very impressed so far.
Old 12th December 2016
Gear Addict

Verified Member
I've got one here too. The loudness meter is very good, and I'm getting more used to it. The peak meters show inter-sample peaks which is nice too.

My gripes are, no option to view Lissajous X/Y pattern. In mastering that gives a lot of excellent information and is really essential for aligning analog tape machines to tones, etc. This meter would be a slam dunk if it had that as an option.

It would be nice to be able to scale the meters to look at noise floor, instead of the top 36dB.

The other wish list item would be an over counter. I have a Mytek meter that has this so I'm covered, but would be nice to have on the TC.

Overall, nice meter. Was hoping for a little more though.
Old 14th December 2016
Lives for gear

No double sample rates at all on the AES inputs and no 88.2 kHz with the plugin really are show stoppers. Hope they fix this soon as I like the meter itself very much.
Old 15th December 2016
Gear Addict

Verified Member
One more thing that would be welcome is a bit meter. Digital, never turn your back as they say.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Any word on a firmware update to support higher sample rates? This looks interesting.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

It proofed to be a great tool for daily work...come on TC give us new firmware!
Old 23rd February 2017
Gear Nut

Love it gets used on a daily basis hooked up to a grace m905
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Any news on sample rate support and goniometer implementation?

Any feedback from users that have it for some time ?

Thank you in advance;

Best,

Gregor
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear

This is extremely hard to get a hold of in Europe still.

In the UK no major retailer has it in stock or on their websites.

Any info about why this is happening and when it's going to be widely available?
Old 4th August 2017
Here for the gear

Both Canford and HHB have them in stock at the moment.

Hope this helps!
Ewan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorydom View Post
This is extremely hard to get a hold of in Europe still.

In the UK no major retailer has it in stock or on their websites.

Any info about why this is happening and when it's going to be widely available?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Three questions -

of all the metering options / displays on the clarity M - what of them would be best for helping me match the volume of two different pieces of music?

And

How much better than RMS would that info / display be?

And

Can it support 5.1 metering over the USB “plugin”?

I don’t have a spare 5.1 digital out of my DAW to dedicate to the Clarity M metering input.

Thx.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

+1 on the need for higher sample rates and a bit-depth meter.

It would also be great if in standalone mode (no plugin required) it could detect new/fresh playbacks via AES and automatically reset the time based measurements such as short term and integrated LUFS.

With those things in place it’s a definite purchase for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Have it for some time now. Radar and Peak to loudness is great.

Biggest issue for me is non-support for offline bounce. Feel silly when I have to open another plugin to be able to measure loudness of a longer piece.

And would like to have option to change the resolution of the upper scale of the meter.

Bit Depth meter would be great addition.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
Three questions -

of all the metering options / displays on the clarity M - what of them would be best for helping me match the volume of two different pieces of music?

And

How much better than RMS would that info / display be?

And

Can it support 5.1 metering over the USB “plugin”?

Thx.
No one ?

thanks.
Mentioned Products
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search