The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone using TC Clarity M plugin/hardware meter?
Old 1st November 2017
  #31
Lives for gear
 
Switchcraft's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
Three questions -

of all the metering options / displays on the clarity M - what of them would be best for helping me match the volume of two different pieces of music?

And

How much better than RMS would that info / display be?

And

Can it support 5.1 metering over the USB “plugin”?

I don’t have a spare 5.1 digital out of my DAW to dedicate to the Clarity M metering input.

Thx.
1) If I rely on numbers, I use LUFS to match levels between racks when mastering. Its different than RMS because it is time gated, but is much more accurate and useful numeric in my opinion. LUFS "Sliding 10 second" maybe good if you want to watch a number jump around in faster intervals than slowly calibrating LUFS program loudness numeric. I stopped using RMS years ago and completely adopted LUFS. It is what streaming services use to measure program material and is much more useful than RMS imo. You could demo the waves WLM to get an idea of how LUFS work.

Yes, there is 5.1 support in plug in mode. Everyone complains that they unit does not do 96kHz with analog inputs, but I never use the analog inputs. I use the plugin in because it is far superior. I can drag the plug to any channel and get loudness info or RTA on that channel. I work exclusively at 96kHz. The thing is amazing. Never had one doubt about purchasing it.
Old 4th January 2018
  #32
Lives for gear
 
gregor z's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Finally

NEW in v2.0 - Clarity M | TC Electronic
Old 4th January 2018
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Giuseppe Zaccaria's Avatar
 

flipping good news I will get one
Old 4th January 2018
  #34
Gear Maniac
 
Qtwister's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor z View Post
Nice i thought they will never update it

Happy customer
Old 4th January 2018
  #35
Gear Addict
 
hernanperez2000's Avatar
Great news!!!!
Old 5th January 2018
  #36
Here for the gear
 

96K input at last! New display options v welcome too.
Old 5th January 2018
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Verified Member
I could see getting one now that it can handle 96k input. I wonder if they will make any changes to the unit or if this will be a software update.

I know it infers that old units will be able to be updated but I wonder if any future units will be any different.
Old 8th January 2018
  #38
Gear Maniac
 
Qtwister's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
I could see getting one now that it can handle 96k input. I wonder if they will make any changes to the unit or if this will be a software update.

I know it infers that old units will be able to be updated but I wonder if any future units will be any different.
The only option would be REW but the clarity M is way better in my opinion layout meters and resolution is pretty nice... Dont think twice just get one u won't be disappointed... Got 2 on the sides of my desk for 1 1/2 years still going strong never turned em off.
Old 8th January 2018
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtwister View Post
The only option would be REW but the clarity M is way better in my opinion layout meters and resolution is pretty nice... Dont think twice just get one u won't be disappointed... Got 2 on the sides of my desk for 1 1/2 years still going strong never turned em off.
Yeah, I am just waiting to see if they plan to update the hardware in any way or if it's strictly a software update.

I also need to know if I can feed it an AES signal w/o word clock.

I wish they had direct links to the mounts in the pictures so I know just which one to get.
Old 12th January 2018
  #40
Gear Guru
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
Yeah, I am just waiting to see if they plan to update the hardware in any way or if it's strictly a software update.

I also need to know if I can feed it an AES signal w/o word clock.

I wish they had direct links to the mounts in the pictures so I know just which one to get.
Here is the link to the mounts. RAM Mounts - Mobile Mounting Solutions
Old 12th January 2018
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Here is the link to the mounts. RAM Mounts - Mobile Mounting Solutions
Thanks. I did find their website but I am wondering more specifically which ones work well with the Clarity M.

Particularly the one in this picture. I see the section for Tough Claw but I can't find the 2nd part that attaches to the Clarity M itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone using TC Clarity M plugin/hardware meter?-screen-shot-2018-01-12-9.58.36-am.png  
Old 12th January 2018
  #42
Gear Guru
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
Thanks. I did find their website but I am wondering more specifically which ones work well with the Clarity M.

Particularly the one in this picture. I see the section for Tough Claw but I can't find the 2nd part that attaches to the Clarity M itself.
Pretty sure it is RAM Diamond Plate 2.43" x 1.31" with B Size 1" Ball Unpackaged - RAM-B-238U | RAM Mounts
Old 12th January 2018
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Thanks. I will be able to look more closely next week.
Old 15th January 2018
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Thanks, that does look like the one.
Old 23rd January 2018
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Verified Member
TC added some more details on their page about which RAM Mounts work well with the Clarity M:
Tech Specs - Clarity M | TC Electronic

Does anybody know how long the USB cable is that comes with the Clarity M?

I'm about to order one of these but I would like to know if I need to track done a longer USB cable that works with it as I need it to run about 8 to 10 feet.
Old 23rd January 2018
  #46
Gear Guru
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
TC added some more details on their page about which RAM Mounts work well with the Clarity M:
Tech Specs - Clarity M | TC Electronic

Does anybody know how long the USB cable is that comes with the Clarity M?

I'm about to order one of these but I would like to know if I need to track done a longer USB cable that works with it as I need it to run about 8 to 10 feet.
The one that came with mine was 1 meter long. FWIW
Old 23rd January 2018
  #47
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
The one that came with mine was 1 meter long. FWIW
Thanks. Not very long, I'll look into a USB extension or a longer cable if I can find one with the right connections.
Old 24th January 2018
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Switchcraft's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
Thanks. I did find their website but I am wondering more specifically which ones work well with the Clarity M.

Particularly the one in this picture. I see the section for Tough Claw but I can't find the 2nd part that attaches to the Clarity M itself.
I believe the usb cable is about 1M-- I needed an extension. I also use that RAM mount and it works perfectly fine for me. It is sturdy and doesn't move when you adjust settings on the meter.

I am very excited about the update.

My only request for the unit would be for it to keep 1 level of undo for volume readings. After you play through a song the TC shows the program's loudness, but if you push play after the song is over by accident, it clears the previous loudness levels and starts the measurement over. I wish there was a back button that would take you back to the previous captures program's volume levels. Anyone else run into that frustration?
Old 24th January 2018
  #49
Gear Maniac
 
Qtwister's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchcraft View Post
I believe the usb cable is about 1M-- I needed an extension. I also use that RAM mount and it works perfectly fine for me. It is sturdy and doesn't move when you adjust settings on the meter.

I am very excited about the update.

My only request for the unit would be for it to keep 1 level of undo for volume readings. After you play through a song the TC shows the program's loudness, but if you push play after the song is over by accident, it clears the previous loudness levels and starts the measurement over. I wish there was a back button that would take you back to the previous captures program's volume levels. Anyone else run into that frustration?
+1
Old 23rd February 2018
  #50
Lives for gear
 
gregor z's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Updated Clarity M.

Offline bounce still doesn't work - or better said act erratically with longer files (logic Pro X)

Amazed how could they release it that way. Same behaviour on the one friend has on Windows/Nuendo.

Gonimeter is average, the one I have on DK is much better .

Other functions are nice
Old 22nd May 2019
  #51
Lives for gear
 

Hi,

I'm looking at the clarity M Stereo and wondering how people are getting on following the v2 update.

How are you primarily connecting it. I was initially thinking of connecting it to an AES out from my Metric Halo ULN8 (running at 96k - this is important) that way it would be monitoring anything that was coming out of the system - IE even playing audio from the web or spotify. Am I correct in thinking it could work this way?

I have a lot of metering plugins but would rather go dedicated and not have to worry about loading a plugin/usb connection etc unless truly necessary. I used to have the LM2 radar plugin years ago and like the clear readout, unfortunately this has been discontinued as far as I can see.

Any feedback on the unit would be great, and its operation would be great.

Cheers

Iwan
Old 22nd May 2019
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Franco's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by recall View Post
that way it would be monitoring anything that was coming out of the system - IE even playing audio from the web or spotify. Am I correct in thinking it could work this way?
Yep. If the converter you have the Clarity M hooked up to is set as the DAC for your entire system, then it will monitor everything. I connect mine via SPDIF. It’s very useful, especially once you start setting up your own presets (and it’s cool they allow you to even put a logo on the main screen).

I wish it also had a peak dBFS function aside from True Peak (in other words, be able to set the peak alarms to peak dBFS not just True Peak, like “tell me when I’m at -0.3 dBFS”). Maybe I’ve missed that, but I didn’t find that in the settings. Also, the RTA could have a little more resolution but I can’t complain considering the cost of the unit.

Budget an additional ~$80 for the RAM mounts (which are awesome, I’ve got mine set up at arm’s length at eye level on my desk).

I find the Vector Scope completely useless and feel they could have offered better correlation and mid/side meters instead.

EDIT: Also, I had read that some users were confused as to what kind of screws you need for the RAM back plate. They mention the size in “mm” and I wish they would have simply said: “Use two rack screws” as that’s the appropriate size, lol.
Old 23rd May 2019
  #53
Lives for gear
 

Thanks for your reply Franco. I'm not 100% sure how i'll hook it up but Thomann had a bargain deal so i have ordered one to see whether it works as i need it to.

Thanks,

Iwan
Old 23rd May 2019
  #54
Gear Maniac
 

The Clarity M is great for stereo work, but lacking for surround. Only 48k in for surround via AES. And, in surround mode, the VScope and correlation meters are still just stereo instruments - not much use for surround mastering, where a 5.1 sound field display is needed (like the one on the DK Audio meter which I was hoping to retire, but can't.) We have a foot switch hooked up to the GPI inputs, but would like the ability, via GPI, to switch between Radar, RTA, and Vscope screens. Other areas for improvement: an application for configuring the meter, in addition to the meter plugin, and multiple stereo plugin instances to meter 3 stereo tracks when in surround (6-channel) mode. For the price, though, the Clarity M is a good value.
Old 11th June 2019
  #55
Lives for gear
 

Is anyone else using this at 96k via AES?

It was working fine until I moved it half a metre across my desk and now it only locks at 44.1
Old 11th June 2019
  #56
Gear Guru
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by recall View Post
Is anyone else using this at 96k via AES?

It was working fine until I moved it half a metre across my desk and now it only locks at 44.1
If you are using BNC connectors, check to make sure they are completely engaged. Best of luck!
Old 13th June 2019
  #57
Gear Addict
 
Mr. Bars's Avatar
Use it as AU plug-in in MOTU Digital Performer 10 and via optical in with Burl Bomber B2 ADC. All in stereo at 96 kHz. Stable and no any issues at all.
Old 9th July 2019
  #58
Lives for gear
 
djwaxxy's Avatar
Still can't find this in stock in the UK.. Gear4music have told me I'm looking at end of November too get one and they want £300.

Thomann have erratic stock but doesn't have UK plug and same price.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump