The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Interconnect cables - what do you use ?
Old 7th November 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Interconnect cables - what do you use ?

Curious to hear what kind of cables my colleagues are using for connecting line level signals between the processors.

I use Mogami & few Belden interconnects , cut to minimum length, that I soldered myself with gold platted Neutrik connectors.

Thank you for your answers

Best,

Gregor

Homepage | EARRESISTIBLE MASTERING
Old 7th November 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
May I chime in with some additional questions? When talking custom cables the individual configuration is at least as interesting for me than talking brands (those kind of topics will escalate far to quick too).
Do you use shielded or unshielded cables? If so, why? Two or three separated contacs (hot, cold, ground)? If shielded do you connect the shield on both sides on pin1 or on the XLR housing or both? Same for a separate ground connection. A lot of different combinations possible, all with individual advantages or disadvantages. What was the reason to choose one before another?

I do use Neutrik XLR as well (I prefer the old design oiver the new one for reasons), but not gold plated cause most of the xlr connections in my gear arent gold plated too. This combination can occur problems afaik.
Old 7th November 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
not gold plated cause most of the xlr connections in my gear arent gold plated too. This combination can occur problems afaik.
I 've always thought that gold plating is only beneficial to preventing rust form setting in or some other form of corrosion and does not make a difference in sound (except the fact that the connection will be "better" for a _longer_ time)
Old 8th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
May I chime in with some additional questions? When talking custom cables the individual configuration is at least as interesting for me than talking brands (those kind of topics will escalate far to quick too).
Do you use shielded or unshielded cables? If so, why? Two or three separated contacs (hot, cold, ground)? If shielded do you connect the shield on both sides on pin1 or on the XLR housing or both? Same for a separate ground connection. A lot of different combinations possible, all with individual advantages or disadvantages. What was the reason to choose one before another?

I do use Neutrik XLR as well (I prefer the old design oiver the new one for reasons), but not gold plated cause most of the xlr connections in my gear arent gold plated too. This combination can occur problems afaik.
If the line is balanced (it contains 2 phases), then a shielded 2-wire cable will fit perfectly, and yes, I connect pin 1 to both ends, as the shield will not form an antenna for high frequencies when you connect just 1 end.
If you have ground loops problems, I would check the real cause first.

I have used both Neutrik, Cardas and Furutech XLR's, with a preference for the latter.
Old 8th November 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeon-Mastering View Post
I 've always thought that gold plating is only beneficial to preventing rust form setting in or some other form of corrosion and does not make a difference in sound (except the fact that the connection will be "better" for a _longer_ time)
Thats what I have learned too. + a chemical reaction between gold and nickel (?) plated xlrs can happen when combining diff both diff types.
Gold isnt a very good conductor at all, so corision must be the only reason to use it. I rather clean my interconnects after some years of usuage.
But I havent compared them soundwise, yet.

For me the biggest possible advantages in different cables lays in the shielding concept and the implematation for connecting ground. But this also depends on the internal construction of the gear you want to connect (and the whole power supplying concept too).
Then finetuning for the individual requirements with chosing the best compromise in the configuration.
All this theories about copper vs silver, solid vs stranded etc is just about sound design.
I would also be very sceptical if an unshielded cable is a good idea in a world full of EMI.
But on the other side shielding does not comes without side effects, of course...

Grounding and Shielding Audio Devices
Sound System Interconnection
Less ist More - Audio cable without shielding, Dr. Jahne - Stage Tec - professional audio mixing consoles and digital audio routing - made in Berlin
Old 8th November 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:

All valid questions, and I believe every element can make a difference in sound.

I have everything connected with shielded cables, all 3 pins soldered on both sides and most of my gear has gold platted xlrs - either as standard - either they were replaced by my tech.

I never felt the need to experiment with different configurations as my chain is super quiet and sounds good to me and I guess also to my my clients

As I will be rewiring again due to some new gear, I decided that I will try to hear the difference between various cables, even tough I think the change will be minimal, if I will be able to hear it at all.

Psychoacoustics can do more to persuade the listener that there is a change , then actual change of cables.

I am happy with the cables I have now, but wanted to hear what other people use, as I am probably not aware of certain brands.

Best,

Gregor
Old 8th November 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor z View Post
All valid questions, and I believe every element can make a difference in sound.

I have everything connected with shielded cables, all 3 pins soldered on both sides and most of my gear has gold platted xlrs - either as standard - either they were replaced by my tech.

I never felt the need to experiment with different configurations as my chain is super quiet and sounds good to me and I guess also to my my clients

As I will be rewiring again due to some new gear, I decided that I will try to hear the difference between various cables, even tough I think the change will be minimal, if I will be able to hear it at all.

Psychoacoustics can do more to persuade the listener that there is a change , then actual change of cables.

I am happy with the cables I have now, but wanted to hear what other people use, as I am probably not aware of certain brands.

Best,

Gregor
My questions were not aimed towards you than more towards all of us here. We all know those kind of threads mostly end when the audio police becomes aware of the term "cable"...

Beside the typical brands for "studio" interconnects like Mogami, Belden, Grimm, MTI, Gotham, Sommer... there are quite some solid, healthy priced options around in the HIFI market; Supra, inakustik, Kimber, van den hul, viablue... comes to my mind.
Old 8th November 2016
Building my own interconnects here and for others, upon request. Using Canare L-2T2S (2-conductor, shielded) and Neutrik hardware, which I've been very happy with, though will use whatever the client prefers. Typically not using gold-plated pins/sockets for the same reasons already stated, as well as potential flaking issues. Like gregor z, I connect braided shield to Pin 1 to both ends, but NOT to the shell.

Last edited by Harold LaRue; 8th November 2016 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 9th November 2016
Lives for gear

What I always think is funny is that, as soon as better/more expensive cables are involved all of a sudden, they are called interconnects. Last weekend I went to a hi-end HiFi event and there was a seminar about cabling and what you could win when using expensive cables. It was so funny to hear what BS that guy was talking about and the audience had no clue. The arguments of using expensive (2000 euro) power cables where even annoying.. That one meter of cables made the difference because that cable could clean up the signal..
I always think that good quality cables are better then cheap ones, but once you cross 'that line' there is not any difference any more between good ones and over the top ones. Or at least so small, you will never hear it.

On topic: I was in the same situation a couple of years ago, doing some updates and I also wanted new cables. I had different brands, different types etc all running next to each other, decent cables though. Sometimes I even had different brands on left and right and so I wanted a fresh new start.
I went for Grimm TPR cables with neutrik xlr's and been happy with them.
I think (...) I heard a difference, but at least now I have solid, new, same brand cables without paying too much. I think I payed something like 5 euro per meter and bought something like 50 meters, which was way too much. I still have about 10 meters of TPR in the closet.
Old 10th November 2016
Gear Guru

Verified Member
I use copper
Acoustic Zen Matric Ref II, XLRs, gear to gear, hard bypasses.

They have a new copper that's more money of course, and I like much less for gear, but more for monitoring
Absolute Copper

The differences are not small in my room. Absolute is flatter, more dead. And yet I don't care for it at all in my chain. In playback it works better.

I don't trust anyone who can't hear balanced cables in a good room. Something like Canare Quad has such a strong signature, and it's cheap, anyone can do that AB. Unbalanced instrument cables are easy to hear also.
Old 10th November 2016
Lives for gear

Okay, here's input from the Bargain Basement.

Since most of my equipment is solid-state and I don't live near anything noisy, I use the wires out of Belden 1242A telephone wire to make unshielded-pair cables. I do have a preamp with a tube output and am right this minute stuffing the wire through some braided tubing, to be grounded on one end only, for that output.

But as for the Belden wire: It is pure copper, which is hi-fi-approved. It is solid not stranded, which is hi-fi approved. Its insulation is polyethylene, which is hi-fi approved. Does it sound much worse than wire that is 100x or 1000x the price? I don't know. But I do know that it is technically sound and it does not sound bad.
Old 10th November 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold LaRue View Post
Building my own interconnects here and for others, upon request. Using Canare L-2T2S (2-conductor, shielded) and Neutrik hardware, which I've been very happy with, though will use whatever the client prefers. Typically not using gold-plated pins/sockets for the same reasons already stated, as well as potential flaking issues. Like gregor z, I connect braided shield to Pin 1 to both ends, but NOT to the shell.
So many different philosophies in building cables. What I have learned from some studio techs: shield to pin 1, but only connected to one side.
Old 10th November 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
Okay, here's input from the Bargain Basement.

Since most of my equipment is solid-state and I don't live near anything noisy, I use the wires out of Belden 1242A telephone wire to make unshielded-pair cables. I do have a preamp with a tube output and am right this minute stuffing the wire through some braided tubing, to be grounded on one end only, for that output.

But as for the Belden wire: It is pure copper, which is hi-fi-approved. It is solid not stranded, which is hi-fi approved. Its insulation is polyethylene, which is hi-fi approved. Does it sound much worse than wire that is 100x or 1000x the price? I don't know. But I do know that it is technically sound and it does not sound bad.
Winters in germany are quite long and dark and cold and I spend the last with building some cables constructions out of solid core alpha copper wire with teflon isulation, unshielded. My first though when listening was; "wow, sounds more open than my standard shielded and stranded sommer cabling", til I done the diff-test in my DAW.

Differences between cables become bigger when I started to try some different commercial brands and done these tests within my chain not with a converter loop only, but I cant really explain why. Would have love to use my handmade cables of course as it was quite a lot of work all in all...
Old 10th November 2016
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Differences between cables become bigger when I started to try some different commercial brands and done these tests within my chain not with a converter loop only, but I cant really explain why.
Key point here

Combined artifacts

Real world use

Last edited by lucey; 10th November 2016 at 11:15 AM..
Old 14th November 2016
I rewire the whole studio in Vovox Sonorus Direct S and i'm ultra happy! before the studio was wired by Supra cables.. which are nice too but IMO a bit of lack in details in the high frequencies.. need to sell them now hahaa
Old 14th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor z View Post

I use Mogami & few Belden interconnects , cut to minimum length, that I soldered myself with gold platted Neutrik connectors.

Me too except mostly Belden 9451.
Old 14th November 2016
Lives for gear

Belden 1800F cabling with Neutrik gold connectors, as short as possible.
Old 14th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Mogami Neglex 2534 and Oyaide PA-08.

Actually who is giving the Ground on Pin 1 is only the Mastering Tranfer Console.
Only Ground on Sends not on returns, A Kind of ground star.
Old 14th November 2016
Gear Maniac

I use Phonon liquid to clean my XLR.

It worthes the try.
Old 15th November 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Of course this topic has been discussed before ;~)>

But I'm still using a mixture of Belden, Mogami, Canare with both Neutrik and Switchcraft XLR connectors.

Is it a big deal(?) ...depends on who you ask :~)>

If I had to start over today I'd use all Belden 1800F w Neutrik XLR.

Affordable and "sounds" great!

Belden 1800F Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

Best, jt
Old 20th November 2016
Deleted 691ca21
Mogami 2552 and gold plated Neutriks for everything balanced, Mogami 2524 and gold plated Neutriks for everything unbalanced
Old 20th November 2016
i'll give a try soon to Grimm TPR, after years using Supra Jensing with gold neutrik.
i'll report soon
Old 20th November 2016
Lives for gear
100% Straight Wire here
Old 20th November 2016
Gear Head

Anyone using Mogami 2552 cable for either mics, guitar, bass or synth? Someone on another thread said the 2552's mid-range sounded really good with vocals.
Old 20th November 2016
Deleted 691ca21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyote View Post
Anyone using Mogami 2552 cable for either mics, guitar, bass or synth? Someone on another thread said the 2552's mid-range sounded really good with vocals.
See three posts above! I use it for all my balanced connections, including mic to preamp, although for unbalanced (guitar, bass, keys, modular synth) I am always using 2524.
Old 21st November 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 691ca21 View Post
See three posts above! I use it for all my balanced connections, including mic to preamp, although for unbalanced (guitar, bass, keys, modular synth) I am always using 2524.
Thanks! Is the bass any good with the Mogami 2552 and is it harsh or bright sounding? I'm looking for something with a focused, transparent mid-range.
Old 21st November 2016
Deleted 691ca21
Just sounds transparent to me, never had any complaints myself or from my clients! Having said that I haven't A/Bed it with anything else in about ten years.
Old 21st November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
i'll give a try soon to Grimm TPR, after years using Supra Jensing with gold neutrik.
i'll report soon
Look that they are top too
Old 21st November 2016
Grimm TPR for me all around, I did a tes a couple of years ago against Canre cable and Viper cable just to check what was going on and the TPR was really nice compare to the other. (Talking about tiny detail here)
I even sent the files to friends for ABC listening test and they all liked the Grimm better without knowing.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
i'll report soon
I just received a couple meters of TPRs, but havent test them yet. I also own some Supra cable (but do not use them within the chain). Any results so far?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search