The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Interconnect cables - what do you use ?
Old 13th February 2017
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Old 16th February 2017
have anyone tried wireworld?
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Apogee Wyde Eye dual shield 110 Ohm for all gear connections and
Marshall Sound Runner for Speaker. Not enough time in the day to obsess about cables.
Old 16th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-p View Post
have anyone tried wireworld?
One of my ME customers raves about Wireworld interconnects!

I respect his opinions.

Best
Roger
Old 16th February 2017
Here for the gear

Anyone using vovox from dac to monitors?
Old 16th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerFoote View Post
One of my ME customers raves about Wireworld interconnects!

I respect his opinions.

Best
Roger
i think cable have to do a lot with the gear it interconnect, its impedance and the way its shielded, lot of people swear it doesn't change anything I welcome them to come here and listen to a few pass of canare starquad versus Wireworld Silver eclipse... some Other ME here at Sterling also use Wireworld but some don't, question of taste
Old 16th February 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
some Other ME here at Sterling also use Wireworld but some don't, question of taste
I think I remember seeing that Greg Calbi uses Wireworld and switches out different pairs of different types/manu's depending.., and that's great. He's one of the best in my book, but find that for just about every A-list ME, you'll see as many difference kinds of cable. Maybe more about how it integrates into the whole shebang, but I tend to put it further down on the totem pole, and stress more about eq moves.
Old 16th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
I think I remember seeing that Greg Calbi uses Wireworld and switches out different pairs of different types/manu's depending.., and that's great. He's one of the best in my book, but find that for just about every A-list ME, you'll see as many difference kinds of cable. Maybe more about how it integrates into the whole shebang, but I tend to put it further down on the totem pole, and stress more about eq moves.
indeed, cables definitely comes when we start pursuing very fine details and try to get the console to be as transparent as it can be, meaning almost no Eq in the way just a ''vibe''...
Old 17th February 2017
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
i think cable have to do a lot with the gear it interconnect, its impedance and the way its shielded, lot of people swear it doesn't change anything I welcome them to come here and listen to a few pass of canare starquad versus Wireworld Silver eclipse... some Other ME here at Sterling also use Wireworld but some don't, question of taste
Canare star quad is especially bad with audio. Only useful where there is a noise cancelling need. So maybe a microphone to a mic pre in a bad location.

Wireworld website is tacky IMO, and has some serious marketing going on, for example, over 100% conductivity.

Innovative Technology
Old 17th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
Canare star quad is especially bad with audio. Only useful where there is a noise cancelling need. So maybe a microphone to a mic pre in a bad location.

Wireworld website is tacky IMO, and has some serious marketing going on, for example, over 100% conductivity.

Innovative Technology
its indeed a bad one, but some people swear by it...
I usually don't look too much into marketing, i rather plug the stuff in the studio and see if i like it hehehe.
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
For me its all about lost and win, the all aware compromise thing. Theres always a range over all freq where a certain type of cable isnt transparent. While one cable might sound very brilliant in the highs and seems to sound very detailed this way it simultaneously lacks airy low mids and therefore sound a bit narrow.
The worse one out there might sound narrow or dark or harsh or wooly or slow or honky or all of it.
Good cables do not need to cost big money and its not so much about fancy materials. Its about the construction and configuration first, at least in my humble experiences. Pin 1 and shielding is a keypoint.
Old 17th February 2017
Craneslut

Verified Member
Still 100% Belden 1800F here, analog and digital.
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I roll my own. Teflon coated SPC, soldered with Cardas quadeutectic. I'm a soldering snob and make sure the soldered connections are flawless with a magnifying glass afterwards (been soldering since I was 13 so to me it's an artform).

No comment on whether they're better than chicken wire or hangers, but if my place burns down, I'll be able to pick them up and use them at my next place.
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood View Post
Still 100% Belden 1800F here, analog and digital.
Quoted for truth!

Best, JT

p.s. I have a friend that swears by his cryogenic cables, I say pffft!
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
Quoted for truth!

Best, JT

p.s. I have a friend that swears by his cryogenic cables, I say pffft!
Is your comment influenced by intense comparrisons or just by your attitude formed in many years in professional mastering?
Of course its like a even small dip on a EQ has more influences than a different cables, but I would distinguish between the active part of a chain (decisions regarding settings on a EQ, comp etc) and the passive (the gear itself, choosing converters to feed the chain, cabling, sequence of the gear, power supplying etc). Both are important, but the latter will not protect from bad decisions regarding processing. But being picky about the used gear means not much when not consider all details.
I mean some people are raving about the sound of some DAWs and even use the bugiest once for such reasons, but are ignoring diffs in cables...?
A lot of decisions in audio (or even most of them) are simply made out of subjectivity and this subjectivity is driven by prejudices. But this is cool as this preserves the human factor in our technology driven business.

Its at least a progress that the voices that call all diffs in cables are simply inexistend changed more into " it do not worse the hassle"...
Old 18th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLeon View Post
Anyone using vovox from dac to monitors?
I do. Using a pair of Vovox sonorus direct S to feed the ATCs from the DAC.

I've never compared it to another pair in this scenario, I've done testings some years ago and since then I've just stuck to Vovox unshielded.
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
Is your comment influenced by intense comparrisons or just by your attitude formed in many years in professional mastering?
Of course its like a even small dip on a EQ has more influences than a different cables, but I would distinguish between the active part of a chain (decisions regarding settings on a EQ, comp etc) and the passive (the gear itself, choosing converters to feed the chain, cabling, sequence of the gear, power supplying etc). Both are important, but the latter will not protect from bad decisions regarding processing. But being picky about the used gear means not much when not consider all details.
I mean some people are raving about the sound of some DAWs and even use the bugiest once for such reasons, but are ignoring diffs in cables...?
A lot of decisions in audio (or even most of them) are simply made out of subjectivity and this subjectivity is driven by prejudices. But this is cool as this preserves the human factor in our technology driven business.

Its at least a progress that the voices that call all diffs in cables are simply inexistend changed more into " it do not worse the hassle"...
I have another friend who insists that the cables must run in the right direction, the signal flow, that is. That the direction that the wire is extruded actually influences the sound.

More importantly, that a stereo pair of wires must run in the same direction, which you can tell by how the jacket label is printed.
So yeah, I've done lots of comparisons over many decades, but not obsessively.

My final decision is the same as Brads' to just go with Belden 1800F for everything balanced in analog, and also for AES digital cable. Sounds great in that transparent way. And stereo pairs running in the same direction.
Unbalanced cable with single ended RCA connectors, I'm still experimenting, but not obsessively. For the last few years I've used solid core pure copper Monster. But I'm considering a switch to a cable from Blue Jeans.
Speaker cable, I'm just using 10 AWG pure copper zip cord.
So I'm practical, but not a Luddite!
Best, JT
Old 18th February 2017
What are you using for D-Sub 25 --> XLR's?
Old 18th February 2017
maybe it's worth considering the fact that at the end of the day what makes you happy maybe influence the way you work and the way you approach a project...
meaning if you are so happy with how that cable sounds may reinforce your choice during mastering....
i do believe i hear a difference and maybe this is only my subconscious telling me so, but that day I do a better job and so I chose things that please my ears (or my subconscious...)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search