The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bored with the norm ... any questions? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 29th October 2018
Here for the gear

Hey Brian,

first of all i want to give many thanks for all this wisdom. it is rare enough for a guy like you to share so much stuff about their craft.

i think it's funny that this is a thread for questions and there are people arguing about a tested/proved method. your work speaks for itself.

now to my question, which 5 albums/ or singles would you give your apprentice ( if you have/had one) to study and what would you prompt him/her to pay attention at?

thanks for your time

peace
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Addict

Hi Brian,

I noticed you have an SPL meter on your console. What SPL do you usually work at? Does it always stay the same, or do you have different volumes for different types of work? Thanks!

Jason
Old 12th November 2018
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by busty_audio View Post
Hey Brian,

first of all i want to give many thanks for all this wisdom. it is rare enough for a guy like you to share so much stuff about their craft.

i think it's funny that this is a thread for questions and there are people arguing about a tested/proved method. your work speaks for itself.

now to my question, which 5 albums/ or singles would you give your apprentice ( if you have/had one) to study and what would you prompt him/her to pay attention at?

thanks for your time

peace
Thanks for the kind words. My goal is to get past the banal to the musical.

Not sure I can answer your question ... it's more about knowing what I call "the fence" in your room. By fence I mean the edges of the Recorded History of Music, as it exists in your mind, as an XYZ sphere in front of your face.

X= frequency balance
Y= transient to compression balance
Z= harmonic distortion balance (types and amounts)

Once we know the fence, in our room, we can play inside the fence.

Maybe something needs to be moved very little, or maybe it is way off and needs to be moved a lot. The trick in mastering is knowing when to do not much and when and how to do a whole lot, usually on the same record. And knowing how to focus music.

By focus, I mean that things need to hit people with clarity on 3 fronts ...

Emotionally
Intellectually
Physically

... in a balance that is right for this artist and right for this moment in time. The artists moment and the moment for the audience.

I just did a Katy Perry single, a Christmas song for Greg Wells, and it was interesting as it needed to sound like her, but also have a warm and inviting timeless holiday vibe, which is a little different than her other records.

I'm remastering now a new mix of an old record for an artist I'm known for working with, and it's about respecting the original release, while also enhancing the new mixes and the new moment of the new release.

Respect and no respect. It's a tricky balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlivermore View Post
Hi Brian,

I noticed you have an SPL meter on your console. What SPL do you usually work at? Does it always stay the same, or do you have different volumes for different types of work? Thanks!

Jason
At first I like to work at around 85-90 dbA, yet I work as fast as possible cursor skipping around. This keeps the ears and the mind fresh. We are the first audient, the test market, and we always need to be listening like it's the first time we have heard the music, and also like it's 20 years from now.

Once I am ready to print, I work at a lower level as a full song or record is printing, to feel the flow of the vocal, low end, high end, etc. We don't want homogeneous, that's based in perfectionism and is boring ... but it needs to flow.
Old 12th November 2018
Here for the gear

thanks Brian , your insight is much appreciated,

i really dig your musical approach and sincerety. i believe you are past the technical and cruising through the philosophical. music/sound is space and time.
so are we

have a nice week
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search