The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bored with the norm ... any questions? Equalizer Plugins
Old 14th August 2018
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Agreed. Do you hear that happening with pieces of analog gear that do parallel processing with a wet/dry control?
"Any parallel compression ... in the analog or digital domain ...
Old 14th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post

Yea, moved to the Pro-Q2, linear phase/High, sometimes in MS
always linear phase?

do you ever find, on certain material, that the tradeoffs of the "natural phase" mode are the more acceptable compromise?
Old 14th August 2018
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan jetter View Post
always linear phase?

do you ever find, on certain material, that the tradeoffs of the "natural phase" mode are the more acceptable compromise?
I can imagine it, yet not in my chain. Always LP
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Nut

Hey Brian, do you ever use reverb or any kind of ambience generators?

I watched a mastering session video with a guy called Friedemann Tischmeyer who says that there are some benefits: 1) It makes the band sound more "unified" and in one room, 2) creates front-back depth, and 3) and make it more pleasant for the listener. He uses it when a song is unnaturally dry. He also said it’s a way to create more density and therefore loudness without affecting the dynamic of the music (unlike compression).

Do you agree? Disagree?

What plugin do you use for it?
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barncore View Post
Hey Brian, do you ever use reverb or any kind of ambience generators?

I watched a mastering session video with a guy called Friedemann Tischmeyer who says that there are some benefits: 1) It makes the band sound more "unified" and in one room, 2) creates front-back depth, and 3) and make it more pleasant for the listener. He uses it when a song is unnaturally dry. He also said it’s a way to create more density and therefore loudness without affecting the dynamic of the music (unlike compression).

Do you agree? Disagree?

What plugin do you use for it?
Anyone adding reverb on the regular should really think about mixing as a career. How was he not fired?

I have added verb to live board mixes, once. Once in 20 years. Once in 50,000 songs?

I used the Bricasti M7, it's the best.

Stems, telling mixers what to do, reverb, all symptoms of the times

Compression and limiting brings up the ambience and with the right eq can do what he is saying, the glue, but better.
Old 17th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
...Compression and limiting brings up the ambience ...
Compression can do that if the 'ambience' is close enough to the surface to be brought up by the inherent lift of the low level signals caused by the compression settings - even without any make-up gain. However, limiting without make up gain, would not bring up the low levels the way that a compressor automagically does. Limiters, of course, only stop the peaks (when a ceiling is invoked). However, unlike verb, compression and limiting will definitely affect 'the dynamic[s] of the music'.
Old 17th August 2018
Quote:
Is this decision related to your outboard options, or the position in the chain a plugin/daw occupies, or is it about the way LP sounds in Pro-Q 2?

dd
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Anyone adding reverb on the regular should really think about mixing as a career. How was he not fired?

I have added verb to live board mixes, once. Once in 20 years. Once in 50,000 songs?
I've been a visitor/fly on the wall in quite a few mastering rooms, and have seen a fair number of reverb units in them. Always wondered why, never asked.
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Am I reading this correctly? You switched to Linear Phase with your digi EQ (earlier in this thread, probably years ago you said MP only)?

If so, would you please explain? Also, your personal "do's and don't's" for LP

Last edited by DrAudioBot; 20th August 2018 at 11:16 AM..
Old 18th August 2018
Motown legend

Verified Member
Back in the days when a studio having an EMT plate cost $100.00+ an hour, I often asked the mastering engineer to add a touch of EMT.
Old 18th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Back in the days when a studio having an EMT plate cost $100.00+ an hour, I often asked the mastering engineer to add a touch of EMT.
A tiny touch, I'm guessing. EMT's don't react well to kick drums.
Old 19th August 2018
Motown legend

Verified Member
I never noticed any problems with a real EMT.
Old 19th August 2018
Gear Maniac

hey Brian,

you seem also to be a tube expert. do you buy your tubes always NOS or you buy also used old stock and do your own tests?
Old 19th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I never noticed any problems with a real EMT.
I would never claim that I've had as much experience as you in any audio category. But I have worked with, rough guess, a few dozen different real EMT plates. So this is based on that, and maybe I'm overgeneralizing.

Could be that you were putting mixes through them that didn't have a kick that was prominent enough to matter. Or maybe there simply wasn't a problem. Or maybe the plates did that thing that I don't like, and you didn't mind it.
Old 20th August 2018
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I would never claim that I've had as much experience as you in any audio category. But I have worked with, rough guess, a few dozen different real EMT plates. So this is based on that, and maybe I'm overgeneralizing.

Could be that you were putting mixes through them that didn't have a kick that was prominent enough to matter. Or maybe there simply wasn't a problem. Or maybe the plates did that thing that I don't like, and you didn't mind it.
or the input was simply high passed.
Old 20th August 2018
Lives for gear

Emt 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
or the input was simply high passed.
if a 140 is moved or re-tensioned without removing and re-centering the drive magnet, the drive coil is likely rubbing.
thus loss of low end.
Old 24th August 2018
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by valeot View Post
hey Brian,

you seem also to be a tube expert. do you buy your tubes always NOS or you buy also used old stock and do your own tests?
Both. Some NOS are great, some overpriced. Buying 10 cheap ones to get 4 is often better.

Have the Amplitrex AT1000 and can test things there. The ultimate test is in circuit, always.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Davis View Post
Is this decision related to your outboard options, or the position in the chain a plugin/daw occupies, or is it about the way LP sounds in Pro-Q 2?

dd

We just have to listen and see what artifacts work for the palate of the chain overall. For me, the digi eq clean works best with the subtle color enhancements of the chain.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
Am I reading this correctly? You switched to Linear Phase with your digi EQ (earlier in this thread, probably years ago you said MP only)?

If so, would you please explain? Also, your personal "do's and don't's" for LP
I went to the more powerful and more modern ProQ2 in the last year, I use it LP-High and MS sometimes. Do and Dont? Do make things musical, do not make things even for the sake of perfectionism or from fear. The eq can do some cool things.

Boost M or S and cut M or S at the same place is one good trick.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Hi, my friend recently got his 2.nd revision from a ME for a single and I mostly really liked it. He seems to use a technique I'm not familiar with and wanted to ask.

The mix and the master have identical average response on the analyzer (set stereo) as far as I noticed. The kick was boomy on the mix and decreased on the master, some of the kick can be heard when listening the side channel (wasn't there on the mix).

I think he does something to the phase with a multiband tool, swapping info from M to S vice versa to give a sense of freq balance like but without using an eq. I still couldn't figure out how.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Maybe its just an "artefact" from the analog chain which nearly never is 100% accurate in level/phase between L/R or M/S.
But I think this kind of technical over-analysing leads you to nowhere, really.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
Maybe its just an "artefact" from the analog chain which nearly never is 100% accurate in level/phase between L/R or M/S.
But I think this kind of technical over-analysing leads you to nowhere, really.
After listening to the mix vs master (of-course level matched) it was the stereo average response being identical to the mix that got me curious. The change is quite obvious by the way, not so minimal tweaks. This to my knowledge can't be done with eq or MB comp. .

Thats why I suspect a MB imager of somesort is used but I couldn't replicate it yet. Fun to experiment though, I even tried the nugen stereoplacer in ms for example and was quite interesting

I wish I could share soundclips but its an ongoing production, after released I'll ask permission to share here but that will probably take a while.

Edit; by the way a 3rd revision will be made as the master I speak here sounds radically different on headphones compared to speakers.

Last edited by cooker; 2 weeks ago at 02:56 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
I suspect a MB imager of somesort is used but I couldn't replicate it
Sounds like it

If the kick was mono and ended up in the sides on the processed version ...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
After listening to the mix vs master (of-course level matched) it was the stereo average response being identical to the mix that got me curious. The change is quite obvious by the way, not so minimal tweaks. This to my knowledge can't be done with eq or MB comp. .

Thats why I suspect a MB imager of somesort is used but I couldn't replicate it yet. Fun to experiment though, I even tried the nugen stereoplacer in ms for example and was quite interesting

I wish I could share soundclips but its an ongoing production, after released I'll ask permission to share here but that will probably take a while.

Edit; by the way a 3rd revision will be made as the master I speak here sounds radically different on headphones compared to speakers.
If the diff is really that obviousI also would suspect some odd moves. Using strong M/S or even MB imaging processing is mostly a sign of a very problematic mix that needs some sort of "repair" for most MEs I would say. Or its just used as a kind of cheap blender-move here, making the master sound more spectacular/diff than the mix on first listen...?*
But why not just ask the ME himself, we are all humans and happy to answer those specific kind of questions...?

*the big diff between HP and speaker playback can be a sign for it. A proper mix never needs such kind of processing at all, imho.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
If the diff is really that obviousI also would suspect some odd moves. Using strong M/S or even MB imaging processing is mostly a sign of a very problematic mix that needs some sort of "repair" for most MEs I would say. Or its just used as a kind of cheap blender-move here, making the master sound more spectacular/diff than the mix on first listen...?*
But why not just ask the ME himself, we are all humans and happy to answer those specific kind of questions...?

*the big diff between HP and speaker playback can be a sign for it. A proper mix never needs such kind of processing at all, imho.
The mono sounds great but to add clarity, all the brightness from the S signal is somehow sucked into the M. Would like to have such approach on my tools set but yeah not as an entire solution.

I couldn't find any plug-in that do that yet (aside sub solutions for vinyl, like nugen monofilter), I mean when stereo image is narrowed the S usually drops but nothing yet that does "forcemono" variable and MB + no idea how opposite of forcemono is made.

The production is in another city but I did request to get some info if possible on the process. I'll let you guys know if any update happens thanks for replys
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Nice one page ad in the current Tape Op magazine for Mr. Lucey. Congrats.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Hi Brian,

Thanks for this epic thread. Tons of cool stuff! I recently acquired one of Neil Young's Pacific Microsonics PM1's. I had a question for you about the AD gain, the one that allows you to add an addition 3.15 of gain. Do you ever use this feature for more gain? I seem to like it, but wondered about your uses. Thanks again for all the great info!

Jason Livermore
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlivermore View Post
Hi Brian,

Thanks for this epic thread. Tons of cool stuff! I recently acquired one of Neil Young's Pacific Microsonics PM1's. I had a question for you about the AD gain, the one that allows you to add an addition 3.15 of gain. Do you ever use this feature for more gain? I seem to like it, but wondered about your uses. Thanks again for all the great info!

Jason Livermore
That's cool I didn't know he used them

I use it only to tweak things for my system, I'm boosting around 1.5db, slightly different LR to even out the chain
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Thanks,

I do the same with mine, but use the DA to even out the sides. There were three PM1's that Neil had. Two went to studios in Portland, and I got one. He had a mod done on them all that made the AD 1 db hotter than the jumpers were set to. My buddy got his set back to stock, but I've left mine that way for the time being.

Jason
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
The kick was boomy on the mix and decreased on the master, some of the kick can be heard when listening the side channel (wasn't there on the mix).

I think he does something to the phase with a multiband tool, swapping info from M to S vice versa to give a sense of freq balance like but without using an eq. I still couldn't figure out how.
Try the DRMS. It can put the MID info on Sides and vice-versa...a great tool
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search