The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bored with the norm ... any questions? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
What's a fear-based move?
That's a great question. What would you say comes to mind as possible answers?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
That's a great question. What would you say comes to mind as possible answers?
Answering a question with a question?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Should be obvious that is what just happened. Why are you asking a question of the obvious?

Your question was obviously not obvious, else you would not have asked and I would not have asked you for input.

I'm interested in your view. It's not an easy thing to give you 40 years of experience in a one liner knowing nothing of you.

Or maybe you're being a smart ass, I have no idea. Thus my question.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Personally I think for some users a forum is just there to easily help them soaking up knowledge and experiences of others, not for real discussion or interaction. Especially not in a Q&A with a superstar engineer. They just want easy answers helping them to construct their own work philosophy around...

But I'll take it...:
Fear based moves might be the obvious question about "Am I loud enough"?
Or:
will the Drummer loves the snare sound?
Or:
what is this ugly looking freq on my analyser?
Or:
did I really add enough procesing to this track to justify my needs?
Or:
will Brian L. may like my work?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Anything I have done that is available MQA was not authenticated, or processed by me. MQA is a corporate scam run by ex video people (Meridian) looking to make money, and it ruins masters. It's not the same and not better, it's worse. And it's still 16 bits. Make a NEW mp3 and you would have everyone's attention, thanks and money.

Basically adds some harmonic distortion, and MS energy shift. Thinner and brighter and distorted in a pleasing way to some people, not to me, I put that sound in the WAV.
Thanks for being so clear on the fact that MQAed albums never went back to you for quality check or authentication.

Still, the MQA version lists you as the Mastering Engineer on Tidal (which is my source).

I guess this raises the question what is legally OK and/or good business practice regarding using and altering other people’s work. Is MQA’s business practice ethical when they alter «the art», pretending (using the ME’s name on the credits) it’s been authenticated by the mastering engineer

Just reading the «credits» of the album, ignorant audiophiles could be led to believe that Brian Lucey is supporting MQA. We know, that’s absurd and as far away from truth you could come.

Do you see my point?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by svarthvitt View Post
Just reading the «credits» of the album, ignorant audiophiles could be led to believe that Brian Lucey is supporting MQA. We know, that’s absurd and as far away from truth you could come.

Do you see my point?
Oh yea

I'm agreeing with you

It's unethical, they lie, it's a bad deal for everyone with any integrity.

If MQA was so great we would all hear it, and there would be no controversy.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
But I'll take it...:
Fear based moves might be the obvious question about "Am I loud enough"?
Or:
will the Drummer loves the snare sound?
Or:
what is this ugly looking freq on my analyser?
Or:
did I really add enough procesing to this track to justify my needs?
"Am I loud enough" ... is a practical concern. The choice to go MEGA loud is up to the client. In me experience even when people say "don't make it too loud" what they really mean is "I want it loud just not flat and ****ty sounding".

The rest are A+ ideas.
Old 6 days ago
Geariophile

Quote:

Love the heckle. But I reckon a fear based move is one you need to find a reason for by going cerebral. As in, you have to dig out something that could pass for a problem with your mind. As opposed to one that comes to you on feel, so you sort it without thinking much and done.

The way I understand Brian is that he tries to be very aware of that tipping point where the flow of moves that come from feels/being antenna/whatever you want to call it, but non cerebral flowing slows down and at some point it becomes that you actively 'look for problems'. Based on the fear that your feels might have missed something. When in fact, if it actually feels great, it probably is. If your feels are developed/experienced enough, that is.

Makes utter sense to me as it goes. I wish I would see more people think like this about studio behaviour in general. It would mean more exciting records.

EDIT: But then it's no surprise, as the societies we live in program people to live entirely fear based lives, so....
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I work a song until it's done, that means when I'm moving from enhancing to fear based moves.
Thanks Brian for the time, that all made a ton of sense. I especially relate to your process about "first-listen" revealing alot of what you need to do.

Definitely think you and Rick could make something special.

I would assume a "fear-based move" would be making an adjustment more based on metering/specs, than what your ear is telling you?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Well fear-based move could be also, no move
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search