The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Give me some examples of well mastered rock albums?
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 807Recordings View Post
Not sure if its all rock but a few favs of mine are (vinyl)
-snip-
David Bowie, I forget the name but its the one with Lets Dance, Modern Love, etc.
Even Blondie's Greatest hit LP I bought for 99cents is great to hear against the CD.
-snip-
The Bowie record is "Let's Dance" and was available as an MFSL pressing, also. CD was poor.
Blondie GH on CD is flat and lame, like a dirty-head cassette copy. No comparison to MFSL "Parallel Lines".

1990 Virgin issue of Iggy Pop "The Idiot" and "Lust for Life" on CD are honest transfers from analog tape that sound a lot like my German 1980 vinyl LP's. Some of the same tracks that appear on Iggy Pop "A Million in Prizes" 2005 compilation have had the dynamics crushed out of them.

You don't need expensive gear to hear the difference. Stereophool Class-D is fine.

kk.
Old 16th February 2007
Gear Maniac

My Fav...Kiss Destroyer
Lacking..VH 0u812
Old 17th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push845 View Post
My Fav...Kiss Destroyer
Lacking..VH 0u812

Speaking of Van Halen, I always liked the way Balance was mastered. It's got a crushing sound, but in a good way
Old 18th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Well, there are those that get rather bored by the repetitive nature of AC/DC.
I'm probably one of the few who don't understand AC/DC at all. I think their songs suck ass.. so there. I remember having huge fights with a schoolmate who was a huge AC/DC fan and adored Angus guitar playing. I always thought it's rather trivial, nothing fancy. My guitar hero at that time was Gary Moore (though I thought most of his songs sucked as well but at least he could play that guitar.

.. mmm, I'll get me coat..

- bManic
Old 18th February 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I would say the powerful raw energy of AC/DC is deceptively simple & absolutely perfect.

Lasted the test of time like only a handful of bands from the '60s & '70s have done.

I'm good for about 3 cuts of AC/DC then I'm ready to listen to something else, but that goes for just about anything... variety is the spice as they say.

JT
Old 18th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Well, there are those that get rather bored by the repetitive nature of AC/DC.

Sure, and I'll bet those listen to albums by Hillary Duff, Avril Lavigne, Lindsey Lohan. They also probably watch the Disney Channel...

No offense, my wife does all the above To each his own.
Old 18th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
Sure, and I'll bet those listen to albums by Hillary Duff, Avril Lavigne, Lindsey Lohan. They also probably watch the Disney Channel...

I'd honestly rather listen to them than AC/DC. I'm sure that makes me an unintelligent, horrible person.
Old 18th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Niedt View Post
I'd honestly rather listen to them than AC/DC. I'm sure that makes me an unintelligent, horrible person.

Whatever works for you, I don't judge people by what they listen to.

Nice avatar pic btw.
Old 19th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaky View Post
I don't really like the title of this thread - it seems to come up quite often though.
So what exactly is a well-mastered album? A well mastered album is a well mixed album is a well recorded album is a well written album...and so on. You can only really judge the mastering completely objectively if you've heard the songs before they were mastered. Other than that it's just guesswork to an extent.
I dunno.
Id say a well mastered album is an album that sounds like it is tonally balanced with no problem frequnecies atall. A master that can make listeners keep listening at decent volumes without getting ear fatigue much.
Also a good master is a mix thats volume has been boosted to a decent level, without sounding distorted/sounding very clean.

Eck
Old 20th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Best rock record ever...
I have to go with Highway to Hell.
Bon Scott R.I.P.
Old 20th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reag1502 View Post
You know I hate to admit it, but I am probably the only human on this planet that has NEVER bought "Back in Black" I think its time I step up to the plate and finally get it.
I just bought BIB this past Saturday. I use to have the record "back in the day". Haven't heard it besides occasionally on the radio in years and I think it is excellent. I must say I've used the opening cut on Ball Breaker as one of my many references (Rick Rubin ala Dixie Bitches), but the rawness of BIB is better IMO. I prefer the guitars on BIB. The image of the drum kit is also well captured.

BTW, has anyone tracked the migratory pattern of top producers...AC/DC-> top selling female country act???

Satriani's Crystal Planet is a good "loud" one.
Old 20th February 2007
Gear Addict

...Pink Floyd, The Wall......on vinyl, on MoFi CD...good god. Monstrously huge when it needs to be, whispering details when that fits. An absolute standard setter in tracking and mastering. Required listening for anyone who doesn't understand why analog tape can be a necessity.
That, along with Telarc's '1812 Overture' recording are the only two discs that ever triggered the overloads on my big old JBLs. And it sure wasn't the volume itself that did it, it was old-fashoned dynamic range.

Best,
CC.
Old 21st February 2007
Gear Head

Well...as someone said before, you can't judge a mastering work if you haven't listened to it before (mixed tracks).
However my favorite sounding rock albums are:

Toto - Tambu
Metallica - Black Album
Rush - Counterparts
Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory

Cheers!
Old 21st February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin-gear View Post
I just bought BIB this past Saturday. I use to have the record "back in the day". Haven't heard it besides occasionally on the radio in years and I think it is excellent. I must say I've used the opening cut on Ball Breaker as one of my many references (Rick Rubin ala Dixie Bitches), but the rawness of BIB is better IMO. I prefer the guitars on BIB. The image of the drum kit is also well captured.

BTW, has anyone tracked the migratory pattern of top producers...AC/DC-> top selling female country act???

Satriani's Crystal Planet is a good "loud" one.

I like Satriani's Crystal Planet as well, but have you heard "Is there love in Space"? Thats a good example of an album thats WAAAAAAAAY to loud. I feel like I am damaging my hearing everytime I put that on.
Old 21st February 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecktronic View Post
I dont beleive yous are all forgetting Queens of The Limit2Hell age and System of a squash!
Hilarious! Hahaha, sorry but I'll steal those lines.
Old 21st February 2007
Lives for gear

Foo Fighter "The Colour and the Shape".
AWESOME mixes too, and production and performances etc.
Old 21st February 2007

Quote:
I like Satriani's Crystal Planet as well
I love that album, one of my favorites. Love the overall quality and some of my favorite songs are in that album (Love thing, Time).
Old 21st February 2007
Lives for gear

Abbey Road and The Dark Side of the Moon.
Old 21st February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
Foo Fighter "The Colour and the Shape".
AWESOME mixes too, and production and performances etc.
The drums sound great. The OHs are close to perfect in my opinion.
I wouldnt say the guitars or bass are anything to wrote home about, pretty average stuff really. But the drums from the OHs sound real nice. Especially on "My Hero".
The performaces are great yeah. There are some noticealbe flaws in the mixes which i just cant remember. But there are obvious master out volume automation that is clearly audible. It shouldnt be. Should be unnoticeable.

Eck
Old 21st February 2007
Here for the gear

It's hard to argue against classic Pink Floyd a la The Wall or Dark Side.
Old 21st February 2007
Gear Maniac

Well mastered? The Mars Volta-De-loused in the Comatorium (Still has a ton of dynamics). I like the way the new Tool albums sounds but it is to the ceiling. I'm still a big fan of dynamics and not a big fan of what the radio wants our records to sound like. Well mastered vs LOUD... System of a Down is just crushed. Sounds horrible in my opinion. I do like the Queens of the Stone Age ( SOng for the deaf and Lullabies) but I have a friend that watched them get mastered and all I have to say is that they're loud. Maybe some things don't get the attention that other records anymore.
I'm with a lot of you guys, how can you beat Dark Side of the Moon?
Old 22nd February 2007

Verified Member
Quote:

I was sent a single remix to master for one of the above mentioned teen-queens, and damn, it was a really well-crafted song. I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not running off to buy all of those albums, but still, there's some really good work contained on some of them.
Old 22nd February 2007
MrT
Gear Addict

Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak
Old 22nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post
I was sent a single remix to master for one of the above mentioned teen-queens, and damn, it was a really well-crafted song. I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not running off to buy all of those albums, but still, there's some really good work contained on some of them.
Yep, it can be surprising.

Regarding rock mastering...I heard the current My Chemical Romance single "The Black Parade" yesterday, and it's quite possibly the most unlistenable, fatiguing thing I've EVER heard. Practically white noise...
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

pardon me. but...

how can i really judge master when i havent had a chance to hear finnished mix of a record ???

what about flat (or almost flat) transfers ?
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

TOOL

Believe me.... TOOL is the s*it when it come to good sounding rock records....

Aenima , Lateralus, 10000 Days. Check this 3 albums.

If you dont like it, get new ears...
Old 24th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Closet View Post
...Pink Floyd, The Wall......on vinyl, on MoFi CD...good god. Monstrously huge when it needs to be, whispering details when that fits. An absolute standard setter in tracking and mastering. Required listening for anyone who doesn't understand why analog tape can be a necessity.
Yep, I have the MoFi Gold Disk of The Wall and the vinyl of DSOTM. A lot of people now would say these weren't "mastered" at all, since the MoFi people used minimal EQ and NO LIMITING!!!. If you crank up Comfortably Numb at the beginning where the volume is low and don't catch it before the solo in the ride out, you could do some damage! Sort of not where mainstream stuff is at this time.
Old 24th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I like Satriani's Crystal Planet as well, but have you heard "Is there love in Space"? Thats a good example of an album thats WAAAAAAAAY to loud. I feel like I am damaging my hearing everytime I put that on.
you should listen to satriani's super colossal album (last studio album) because that is not loud compared to the ones b4 it it sounds very clean to me (george marino masterd it). Crystal planet i always thought was slightly bass heavy, i love bass and i think a lot of records nowadays are lacking in bass due to cracking the loudness.

I've always been impressed with Steve Vai records even going from the first Flexable album i think Vai is a very underated engineer (obv not in the mastering sense)

Regarding Ac/dc's ballbreaker and to some extent Stiff upper lip, those albums are very dry sounding its like they are playing in your living room
Old 25th February 2007
Gear Addict

The latest Back In Black is indeed very nicely done.

If you're looking at recent rock albums:

Vertical Horizon - Go.
Trapt - Someone in control.
Zakk Wylde - Book of shadows.
Eve6 - Horrorscope
Alter Bridge - One day remains - over squashed but sounds great in small doses!

GM
Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

+5 on the Trapt... TLA + Ted Jensen, mastered to about -10 RMS, sounds BEAUTIFUL.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search