The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mastering EQ comparison: Maselec MEA-2, Summit Audio EQP 200A, Amek CIB
Old 22nd April 2016
Mastering EQ comparison: Maselec MEA-2, Summit Audio EQP 200A, Amek CIB

Hi guys!

Here are our best eqs. Which one do you prefer in mastering application?

Chain: Logic Pro 9, Eq, Limiter Waves L2 Ultramaximizer.
Old 22nd April 2016
I have the summit on my 2 buss, its great for something like too much bass or not enough kinda deals. It sounds very nice too.
Old 23rd April 2016
Lives for gear

Maselec 27khz boost of this magnitude sound quite hard to my ears. I like how it cleaned the mids, quite effective.

Summit has nice tone, no hard edges. But it just couldn't address what the track needed. I expect it's nice for general sweetening.

Amek seems to be too fiddly for mastering.
Old 23rd April 2016
Gear Head

The Maselec was just nice. When you cleaned the mud frequency is was like magic.
Old 23rd April 2016
I have the Summit EQP-200A loaded with New Old Stock Telefunken Tubes. It sounds awesome.
Old 24th April 2016
GCL
Lives for gear

Great test! I had a Summit 200A for years and sold it a while ago (to go in the box) but am now back out, and found a new 200B. It's so great, I absolutely love what it does. But no matter, I still lately have been thinking about the Maselec. In this test here, both EQs have great tonality. Both have a certain sweetness to their sound. Notice in the Maselec video when he boosts the hi mids all the way up -- it still sounds musical. Tough choice. I'm going to have to get a Maselec over here to A/B myself.
Old 24th April 2016
Lives for gear

With the CIB, while it sounds quite transparent, seems very hard to recall and to manipulate, and ergonomics in mastering are really important.
The Summit has a nice sound for broad strokes, but could not be a unique/primary mastering eq, not enough possibilities.
The Maselec tick all the marks (even if I think they should have added dedicated LP & HP filters), but hey, it IS a mastering eq so...
Old 25th April 2016
Gear Addict

Verified Member
I'm always impressed by how well the Maselec keeps the percussion popping. Tons of headroom, low noise.
Old 25th April 2016
Gear Nut
Maselec is simply the only EQ meant to work in his field.
It's designed for program material and mastering, not busses or mixing, like the other two, which have their pros and cons, when it comes to "2-buss" eq-ing.
The dinamics and transients are retained properly on the MEA2 exclusively. The other two may fool the ear with their appealing tone, or sweetness, but they are not the right tools for this kind of intervention, when it comes to preservation of transient integrity, noisefloor, transparency and distortion.
They are compromises.
Old 25th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisi View Post
It's designed for program material and mastering, not busses or mixing, like the other two, which have their pros and cons, when it comes to "2-buss" eq-ing.
The dinamics and transients are retained properly on the MEA2 exclusively. The other two may fool the ear with their appealing tone, or sweetness, but they are not the right tools for this kind of intervention, when it comes to preservation of transient integrity, noisefloor, transparency and distortion.
They are compromises.
I don't think the EQP200 smears or does any damage to the material, being it a single vocal, drum buss or a dense as buggery metal mix. It has a very nice clearing and deepening colour to it, even adds punch if you perceive it that way. The only down point is a doozey though, it's a pultec style so it's massively limited by what you can do adjustment wise. But a bad choice tonally it is not.
Old 25th April 2016
GCL
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisi View Post
They are compromises.
Well, thank you for snapping me out of my drive to get a Maselec. My application IS the 2-buss, and the Maselec is clearly not meant for that, but rather as a mastering EQ. Since I have the luxury of changing (EQing) the source material via individual tracks, there is no real need for the Maselec, and so for the 2-buss, the Pultec-style Summit is a much better choice. The Summit is a beautiful sounding warm tube EQ meant for nice broad strokes on the 2-buss, and I'm coming up on 10 years using one. Now I can get something else with the money I just saved.
Old 28th April 2016
Thank you all guys for your replies!
Old 28th April 2016
Here for the gear

On this mix I think the maselec is a little too clinical. I liked the tone and colour of the Summit, but the vocals were a bit shut in.
The Amek created better definition in the bass and for the vocals.

Given the genre, I think the Summit was the most convincing one!
Old 30th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argali View Post
I have the Summit EQP-200A loaded with New Old Stock Telefunken Tubes. It sounds awesome.
Can you post/send me a link to the tubes you use and like best for the Summit?
Old 8th June 2019
Tubes

I bought the tubes from “Bowie” here on gearslutz. To me, he is an (the) expert on vintage tubes. I put New Old Stock ECC81 and ECC83
Telefunken tubes from the 50’s in my Eq. The tubes that were in it before, were good quality and the unit sounded ok. I put the Telefunken tubes in, and it took on a clearer and warmer, bigger soundstage. I’ve also bought hard to find 6386 NOS tubes from Bowie as well and they arrived like the Telefunkens in perfect shape and sounded amazing in my Manley Vari Mu. If you have a Summit EQP-200, and want it to give you something special, NOS high quality tubes will definitely step it up. I think the unit sounds a bit, blah without them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search