The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonnox Envolution Dynamics Plugins
Old 17th April 2016
Lives for gear

Sonnox Envolution

https://www.sonnox.com/plugin/oxford-envolution

Thinking of demoing this for mastering purposes. Anyone have experience to share? Does it work well on full mixes or better just for individual tracks?
Old 17th April 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
How would you apply this to a mix?
Old 17th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
How would you apply this to a mix?
It offers transient control by frequency. 'Could be useful for restoring punch to crushed mixes when no remix is possible. 'Could be useful for taming an overbearing snare drum. That is IF it works well on mixes. Just thought maybe someone here had tried it. It's on sale this month...
Old 17th April 2016
Lives for gear

I though about the same recently during its current trial.. I think, it's really great plugin and I definitely plan to purchase it.
I've found some issue with all its VST versions, but I hope Sonnox guys get that sorted.
While it will get most use during mixing, I believe, it's really one of most transparent transient shaper available and with its unique frequency dependent dry/wet curve
it can be also used for buses and whole mixes IMO (although it would be probably rather sparse).
For envelope processor, it is really versatile.. Transient part with sensitivity, attack and release can tailor its response for much more natural results than with other similar effects.. not just for energy reinforcements, but also for slight transient softening (higher sensitivity, tilt eq aimed to high frequencies).
Sustain part can be set as pretty nice sounding level independent compressor. Also its built-in parallel knob is nice for just touch of its processing.

Michal
Old 17th April 2016
Lives for gear

^^^ Nice review - thanks!

I'll have to demo it soon before the price goes back to normal.
Old 17th April 2016
Envolution is a very good single-band frequency-specific transient shaper - it works particularly well in a mastering context for bringing out more detail in a kick / snare. It is also very useful for transparently removing energy from an overbearing snare / cymbal.

I use transient shapers in mastering for transient preservation, enhancement and re-construction, especially pre/post compressor/limiter.

I tested 23 different transient shapers in a mastering context - here are my results: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11217520-post40.html
Old 17th April 2016
Lives for gear

Holy cow Simon - that is one amazing post you linked to! Thanks for doing all that work and sharing it. Was there one plug-in that you'd call your overall top pick of the bunch?
Old 18th April 2016
Lives for gear

Simon, that's staggering review..
It is useful even as a summary of all existing shapers

One isn't listed though, because you're using Mac.
And frankly before Envolution, one of my favorite was freeware shaper by Sleepy Time DSP.
Sleepy-Time DSP VST Plugin Archive! (Free Download)
Its developer is very handy and his plugins are top-notch IMHO. Unfortunately he stops development of that and never released OS X versions.. there are only 32 and 64bit VST versions for Windows.

Michal
Old 18th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Was there one plug-in that you'd call your overall top pick of the bunch?
My preference is Envolution.
Old 18th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morrison View Post
My preference is Envolution.
Excellent - thanks again!

This thread turned out better than I'd hoped!

Old 18th April 2016
If you wait a week or so, the new Bitter Sweet Pro from Flux would be available.
Same idea, a frequency dependent transcient shaper.
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear
This is an extremely useful tool for making individual instruments sit correctly in the mix. It's the best such plug-in I've used and that includes the new spiff from Oeksound.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search