The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering in Reaper - Yes/No Utility Software
Old 16th April 2016
Mastering in Reaper - Yes/No

Hi, i want to know if some of you guys, are doing Mastering in Reaper?

Reaper has (I think) a strong audio motor sound (which I mean, Reaper colour the sound itself).
I heard some Mastering engineer doing their jobs in Reaper and I asked myself if it was a good idea.

Thank you,
Michaël
Old 16th April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelStAmour View Post
Hi, i want to know if some of you guys, are doing Mastering in Reaper?

Reaper has (I think) a strong audio motor sound (which I mean, Reaper colour the sound itself).
I heard some Mastering engineer doing their jobs in Reaper and I asked myself if it was a good idea.

Thank you,
Michaël
Of course it's a good idea, it's a very powerfull DAW.

Who's Using Reaper? Workflow?

There is no such thing as "colour" in audio engine...
That's a myth.
"Colour" will come from the plugin you'll use, or sometimes while processing SRC, but even for this, Reaper is very clean!
Old 16th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Of course it's a good idea, it's a very powerfull DAW.

Who's Using Reaper? Workflow?

There is no such thing as "colour" in audio engine...
That's a myth.
"Colour" will come from the plugin you'll use, or sometimes while processing SRC, but even for this, Reaper is very clean!
Hi Spartacus, nice to have your ideas.

Actually, if I do a mix in reaper, the SAME mix in pro tools and Nuendo, same level, same plugins, same panning. It doesn't sound the same.

I know there is the Pan Law difference in each others that create a difference. But there is still an footprint that all my mixes in reaper have.

Actually, for what I heard, I think Nuendo sounds better than the other DAW (it's personal)

But, as a mix engineer, I discover the Mastering to be a very nice part of the audio chain for an album and, slowly i'm switching to Mastering.
I'm looking to get an audio editor like Steinberg Wavelab, but didn't know if we could properly do mastering in a daw.

This is why I asked this question, it's not about tracking or mixing, only Mastering.

Thank you
Old 16th April 2016
I'm of the opinion that when configured properly Reaper is the best mastering daw that exists. I've tried (and by try i mean spend at least 40 hours with) Pro tools, Sequioa, and wave lab. Reaper took many many hours to tweak and adapt to my workflow - but now it's set and i'm not looking back!
Old 16th April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3030club View Post
I'm of the opinion that when configured properly Reaper is the best mastering daw that exists. I've tried (and by try i mean spend at least 40 hours with) Pro tools, Sequioa, and wave lab. Reaper took many many hours to tweak and adapt to my workflow - but now it's set and i'm not looking back!
Same here,
Quit everything, ProTools, Cubase, for Reaper.
Producing & mastering mostly.
Old 16th April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:

I know there is the Pan Law difference in each others that create a difference. But there is still an footprint that all my mixes in reaper have.
Something must be wrong in your bounce.
Trust me, I know a bit in digital audio processing, and it just can't be.
It would be the same saying 1+1 on a digital calculator would not lead to the same result for 2 computer...
Old 16th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Something must be wrong in your bounce.
Trust me, I know a bit in digital audio processing, and it just can't be.
It would be the same saying 1+1 on a digital calculator would not lead to the same result for 2 computer...
No I dont think so (something wrong with my bounce) it's not just after bounce, but thank you for your report.
Old 16th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3030club View Post
Good thank you!
Old 17th April 2016
Lives for gear

mastering in reaper since 2009 (i used samplitude before) and heavily adjusted it to my workflow (a big strength of reaper).

Quote:
its fully transparent and the summing export nulls with that from other DAWs. i've checked many years ago.
Old 17th April 2016
Everybody seems to think that Reaper is very good for Mastering. I'm curious to know guys which changes did you make In Reaper to have a better workflow for you ? Thank you
Old 17th April 2016
Lives for gear

mostly, I had to add 3rd party monitoring utilities. Prior to this I used WaveLAB, which had a good metering.

I still miss a few WaveLAB features, and still prefer it for any CD burning. Now using DDP export, but I do that wilth HOFA [looking into the Sonoris package].

Additionally, I added the Ian Sheppard 'Perception' utility to do level-matching comparison in answer to WaveLAB's built in function.

Honestly ... the transition to Reaper was not bad. I added the SWS supplement and the 'New Menus' changes. Reaper has been very solid [staying at v4.78 for now]
on a Win7-64bit system. Money well spent I feel.
Old 17th April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Actually, if I do a mix in reaper, the SAME mix in pro tools and Nuendo, same level, same plugins, same panning. It doesn't sound the same.
I'm pretty sure you're using different plugins in the different DAWs...
If you bounced out the WAV stems from each track in reaper and took them into Pro Tools and Nuendo, I'd bet it would sound exactly the same.

It doesn't matter what DAW you use for anything really. Take one and run. At Blueberry Mastering we took Logic Pro X, but it's personal taste really.
Old 17th April 2016
Gear Head

Hi,

I just migrate from Wavelab to Reaper 1 month ago and I never go back.
Reaper is just really powerful ( monitoring possibilities is exactly what I need) and ........ stable.
Everybody who was using wavelab know what I mean....
Not really beautiful, but useful. Configurable at will with extensions.
I encourage strongly to test it, but trying is adopting.
It does more, It costs less, QED.

No colouring effect here.

Bye !
Old 17th April 2016
Quote:
Everybody seems to think that Reaper is very good for Mastering. I'm curious to know guys which changes did you make In Reaper to have a better workflow for you ? Thank you
For me it was a matter of changing key commands, building macros and assigning them to hot keys. Making a custom toolbars across the top of the application that performed either actions or custom strings of actions that I frequently used.

I also went in and cleared out dozens on menu items that I knew I would never use.
Old 17th April 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Custom theme and custom shortcuts/actions.

I also have messed up a little with the audio options, optimize it for better CPU handling and not really caring for latency.
Old 17th April 2016
Lives for gear
I have been using and liking Reaper, but only for a few months, and not studying it deeply.

Things I wish it had-- These are not deal-breakers but it would be nice-- Maybe these are possible in Reaper but I did not yet find out how to do it--

1. Better waveform interpolation when zoomed in to the sample level. Think I tried the options available in the stock program, though maybe there are addons to improve the display. The waveform interpolation is workable, but for instance CoolPro/Audition has much better zoomed-in display.

2. When zoomed-in, with a big wave display window, perhaps either horizontal gridlines marked in dB, or maybe a dB level displayed in a window data panel or a context-popup if you hover the mouse over a time region or a sample.

3. A destructive sample editing mode. For instance, if a track has a click glitch which is just a couple of misplaced samples, it would be very convenient to directly destructive edit the few samples with the mouse in reaper, rather than having to export the sample to a stereo editor program.

If I was trying to do mastering would probably use those features if available. But lately been prototyping effects plugins with the fabulous Reaper js language feature. I have to process/render test files and then open the processed files in CoolPro to get "precise" measurement capabilities for levels, time constants and glitches. It works fine using Reaper and Coolpro together. But would be "even more gooder" if I could do everything in Reaper.

Are some of the above possible in Reaper, but I just haven't found out how to do it yet?
Old 18th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Got Reaper for 2 years now!

I was having a play machine with Reaper and a record machine with SB.

Now I have a loop machine with Reaper only. So flexible, sounds top,

Highly customizable (I do not need the input with offset on my mastering console to compare Original / master, anymore. Just to hit a key on keyboard and all is automatic) monitoring functions.

It eats all and never crashed. I rarely shutdown my computer rig, and when I come back after the Week-end, just hit play and it starts like last time.

Simple.

Last edited by Chris Chapelle; 18th April 2016 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: ortographe
Old 18th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Reaper??? YESSSS ! ! ! !
Old 18th April 2016
Gear Nut

LOL....NO...never master in the box...unless...BUY THESE ASAP "eight-track Sonoma DSD recorder" or call these guy
Old 18th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by br33z View Post
LOL....NO...never master in the box...unless...BUY THESE ASAP "eight-track Sonoma DSD recorder" or call these guy
You can use a DAW and still have an analog chain for your mastering, guys like Lurssen still edit in the box, but have an analog chain.

Best of both world.

And with today new technology of plugins, I think yes you can have an amazing mastering with a hybrid system.
Personally, I prefer EQ in the box, when it's time to cut or doing surgical adjustment. But you still can have something like a bax EQ otb.
Old 18th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You can use a DAW
I thaught he was kinda joking, wasn't he? hehe
Old 18th April 2016
Lives for gear

Interesting thread, but what are some some tools in Reaper that stand out from other daws? Or is it just the workflow?
Old 18th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
Interesting thread, but what are some some tools in Reaper that stand out from other daws? Or is it just the workflow?
It is always combination of multiple factors, you can be balancing and which are driving your decision..

my points about Reaper.. just from top of my head
+ stability (It can be used as great live recording tool, where this is paramount.. with many under the hood features which avoids project and audio data corruption)
+ efficiency
+ their approach for fixing of important bugs (I'm not talking about workflow things, which someone might feel like bugs, but rather some corruptions, crashes, performance regressions etc.).
+ super flexible and quick approach to routing of audio and MIDI
+ item based effects (From DAWs I know, Only with Samplitude/Sequoia can offers this slightly better than Reaper)
+ small program size, easy installation and integrated backup of program settings
+ incredibly powerful action system and scripting (LUA, Python, eel), so if you would like to do some repeated tasks which consist of multiple steps, it can be very easily merged into one action (think Slate's batch command system on steroids).
+ logical structure of program and clear concept of its control. This can sounds quite weird, because lot of users complains about that.. but it is really logical and unified in most cases and for example program share same approach to audio events, MIDI events, common routing and busing of both.. same take system.. common approach to FXs and VIs. If you want to look for something, there are common places for finding it, if you know the right keywords.
+ Lot of existing and useful scripts
+ integrated JSFX effect engine, which allow you to write custom processing tools or use it for prototyping.. (I know, it is bit geeky point, but that's how I came to Reaper)
- necessary initial customization, if you want to use advanced features.. without option to use quickly switchable profiles for multitude of customization options (eg. profiles with stored sensible shortcuts, toolbars, window layouts.. for mastering, tracking, MIDI editing, mixing will be very welcome IMO).
- no built-in AAF/OMF project interchange, which might be very welcome for post use.. But Reaper project format is text based, well documented and you can get 200USD converter, which can handle that and more (PT formats, Nuendo/Cubase projects etc.).
+/- open ended workflows or rather flexible workflows (there are usually more ways how to do the same task, which confuse quite lot of people and you have to spent some time to figure out, what you rather don't want to do )
+/- because there aren't fixed workflows and Reaper is being presented more like an environment.. Things aren't polished like in case of dedicated applications.. Eg. it isn't so powerful MIDI sequencer for composers like Cubase is, there aren't as easy mastering workflows like in Wavelab, you can't do EDM sequencing as easy as in Ableton, it isn't out-of-box optimized for live performance like Mainstage is.. But if you figure it out for yourself.. you can do most of mentioned tasks in Reaper. Albeit you might find the need for some 3rd party extensions, scripts or external tools (like Hofa CD Burn&DDP or bunch of encoding and tagging tools).
+/- someone might expect more bundled stuff like plugins, instrumets, soundbanks etc.
I personally welcome their slim fit approach.. as I usually like to use tools, which I pick by myself anyway.

Michal
Old 29th April 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
You rarely have to spend ages trying to work out why something isn't working with Reaper. It just works. It also comes with a decent selection of plug-ins (although I use alternatives for limiting and reverb) and accepts just about every file I throw at it. I use the built-in DDP support although it would be good if that was a little friendlier.
Old 29th April 2016
Lives for gear

As I'm constantly moving more and more towards 100% ITB what I find Reapers most endearing feature is the reliability and robustness.

Got a project where a plugin went crazy and corrupted the project? No problem. Just open the project file in a text editor (the project save is a TEXT file!!) and remove the offending plugin and re-save.

Same thing happens in Pro Tools? Cubase? Logic? Samplitude? Well too bad.. you're SOL and have to resort to backup saves.

Another fantastic reason to switch to Reaper is the amazing freedom of routing and setting up your own template and keystrokes/macros any way you see fit. The power of this system may be a bit overwhelming at first but once you've set it up it'll be hard to look at other systems.
Old 3rd May 2016
Reaper, why i have switched to it for mastering?
1 ) take fx

2) rendering per items all at the same time

3) workflow and customizable ui and routing

Old 5th September 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post

Got a project where a plugin went crazy and corrupted the project? No problem. Just open the project file in a text editor (the project save is a TEXT file!!) and remove the offending plugin and re-save.
Thanks, bmanic!!!
I didn't know this, it is the best feature of course... I am a reaper user since a lot of years and I have had that kind of issues in the past and I simply lost the projects... I think it is a way of thinking I got from my cubase years, I just thought it was impossible to solve for the daws. This is amazing, thanks for explaining it.
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

I've now got Reaper working with both a pitch instance (running through the Dangerous Convert) and a catch instance (through the Forssell ADC/Lynx AES 16) on the same machine. Running different sample rates. Its working absolutely great. The RMS scripts are a total game changer for getting everything within spitting distance for pitching. I swear records take me 3 hours less now that I've switched from Soundblade.
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I swear records take me 3 hours less now that I've switched from Soundblade.
Yeah. I can say that on busy days, I save at least an hour or two since moving from Pro Tools to REAPER.

I still don't think REAPER is there yet for finalizing projects so after the main processing is done, I still use the WaveLab montage for things that WaveLab excels at.

If you spend a little time with it, REAPER is definitely awesome for the initial processing though.
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
Yeah. I can say that on busy days, I save at least an hour or two since moving from Pro Tools to REAPER.

I still don't think REAPER is there yet for finalizing projects so after the main processing is done, I still use the WaveLab montage for things that WaveLab excels at.

If you spend a little time with it, REAPER is definitely awesome for the initial processing though.
I have delivered probably 15 projects completely from Reaper at this point. So far no problems, and using Karumba's script for DDP assembly as well as some other tips I learned from Miguel I am exporting/delivering DDP and hi res/itunes versions faster than ever. It would be great if Justin incorporated Karumba's process to make it a bit more robust. But for me its liberating to catch and deliver in the same program (I used to catch in Logic and export to Soundblade for final export).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search