The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering in Reaper - Yes/No Digital Converters
Old 18th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Hey Justin,

I just wanted to say a quick thank you for your contributions with Reaper for mastering. Every time I search the forums thinking 'I wonder if...' I seem to come across your username. Your efforts have saved me some hassle in a few areas, so thank you
+1. Maybe we'll finally get pre-item FX sends one day, Justin!
Old 18th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
Look very handy, although I think the lack of an interpolation option would still lead me to use RX most of the time for declicking (the most common reason I need to spectrally edit). That said, I'm excited to give it a try in the studio today.
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Ooh, whats the feature?
Nothing major, but just an improvement to the new spectral editing feature so that the frequency fade can be done separately on the high and low side of the edit.

I found that when trying to de-thump a few sections selecting from say 0Hz to 72Hz that as soon as you used the frequency fade setting, it brought the low low end back in very quickly and then the thump is back.

I have to test this today but it's crazy how fast they can add requests. it's not the first time either.
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post
Look very handy, although I think the lack of an interpolation option would still lead me to use RX most of the time for declicking (the most common reason I need to spectrally edit). That said, I'm excited to give it a try in the studio today.
Yeah, REAPER spectral editing is not great for De-Clicking at the moment and the new Mouth De-Click in RX6 is so good I don't know what could beat it.

I don't think the spectral editing in REAPER is going to (or was meant to) replace RX entirely, at least not for me. But I think they can work great together.

I have a custom action to very quickly select an area of an item that has a problem, split the selection into a new item, open item copy in RX which focuses RX. All that takes less than a second and is done in one command.

Now I'm in RX which can use the same audio output as REAPER, with good visual feedback, I make the edit using any of the RX standalone tools, save the file, CMD+TAB back to REAPER and move on. Plus, now you have the option to choose between the original or the RX version for any fixed sections using the takes.

It looks like a lot but I can fix a mouth click or normal click like this in just a few seconds. It's like the pit crew of a race care driver changing a tire. No f'ing around.

To me, what the REAPER spectral edit is great for is de-thumping or spot de-essing little sections on the source files before I hit the analog chain. Because I use item FX on items before going analog, it's annoying to split an item/song before the analog chain because then you have to manage all the plugin settings on all the items separately rather than just one main item FX chain.

Because of this, I do all my RX after the analog capture, plus doing it there makes it easy to get back any noises that the client for some reason wants which is rare, but a good safety net. For most mouth clicks and things, it's fine to do them after the analog capture. In fact, they tend to be more noticeable at this point.

Because the new REAPER spectral edits run live on the item, it's great for addressing certain things like a loud thump that could get way worse after going through the analog chain. The bonus is that the item/song doesn't get split into multiple items which makes the item FX management easier.
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That would be a dream. When I ask for this, people tell me to use track FX and FX automation instead of item FX. That is more of a hassle than scripting a way to make a duplicate source file track without item FX inserted and route it to a new output.

Item FX are a big part of why I like using REAPER for many reasons.

For most projects it's not a huge deal to script that duplicate track for A/B comparisons on your monitor controller, but sometimes it would be nice to just have the one source file track and have a pre-item FX send so that when the source files change because of a new mix from a client, it's one less thing to manage.
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Hey Justin,

I just wanted to say a quick thank you for your contributions with Reaper for mastering. Every time I search the forums thinking 'I wonder if...' I seem to come across your username. Your efforts have saved me some hassle in a few areas, so thank you
No problem. It sounds like we're on the same page with workflow. I think people using REAPER for mastering are in the minority so sometimes suggestions I/we make can sound bizarre to those that aren't familiar with the process or use REAPER only for recording/mixing.

I have plenty of other ideas but until we can convince the REAPER developers to add a mastering concept mode like the WaveLab montage, it's not worth brining them up.

I know a few people use REAPER for 100% of the job but I just don't trust it or find it user friendly enough so I move to the WaveLab montage to finish things up.

Too much of it depends on custom scripts and things and for such a detailed part of the job, I prefer to use an app that handles it natively, with all the small features that add up to a nice experience.

I recently paid somebody to make a script that can display the timecode of an item or region (CD track), something that REAPER can't do natively. There are so many mastering focused things like this that REAPER doesn't do that I don't have the time to learn how to do or even explain/hire somebody to do, so I use WaveLab.

Plus, I don't want to get locked in a good REAPER workflow only to have one of the scripts break and then find a way to fix it.

That's not for me.

I'd be glad to work with Cockos on native solutions but not interested in cobbling together a bunch of things to make REAPER like the WaveLab montage.

It actually doesn't bother me though. I kind of like having one app to do the heavy lifting (REAPER), and then use another app (WaveLab) to zip through the finalizing process with very minimal plugins and baggage involved.
Old 18th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
Nothing major, but just an improvement to the new spectral editing feature so that the frequency fade can be done separately on the high and low side of the edit.
Nice. That was definitely a drawback I was noticing while I played around with it
Old 18th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
There are JS plugins called Sender and Sender_Multi that can be used to create pre-fx send(s). Put it first in the item fx chain, and it can send to 3/4 or 5/6, etc, which then can be assigned to separate outputs.
Old 24th September 2017
Here for the gear

Hey guys sorry to bump this topic up but I couldnt find anything said about VST plugins. Will reaper work with any VST plugin? Thanks in advance!
Old 24th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjon View Post
Hey guys sorry to bump this topic up but I couldnt find anything said about VST plugins. Will reaper work with any VST plugin? Thanks in advance!
I can't speak for Windows but on Mac I use a mix of AU, VST2, and VST3 plugins in REAPER with no issues. I would guess on Windows you can use VST2 and VST3.

You may be able to find an obscure plugin that has a bug or doesnt play nicely with REAPER but generally speaking...yes, REAPER uses the VST plugin format for FX inserts.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search