The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME ADI-2 Pro
Old 8th April 2016
Gear Maniac

RME ADI-2 Pro

Brand new Converter from RME:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpi1ZmXtfKY

It seems they tried to build the absolute best AD/DA device they could, with a great feature set at a very reasonable price point.

Curious...
Old 11th April 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
totally up for demoing this.
Old 11th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Does anybody know about the ETA?
Old 11th April 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I dont expect anything great from a RME converter.
Owned the RME ADI-2 some years ago and it was quite far from "mastering grade" (whatever that means) for me: " flat and with the typical RME-harshness.
Would be interesting if they finally learned their stuff?
Old 12th April 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
DM me your details. I'll contact you when we get a bemo unit :-)
Old 12th April 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
DM me your details. I'll contact you when we get a demo unit :-)
Old 12th April 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
Owned the RME ADI-2 some years ago and it was quite far from "mastering grade" (whatever that means) for me: " flat and with the typical RME-harshness.
They do on the other hand make some of the best made/serviceable/customer service friendly digital audio gear in the pro audio market.. so if they could nail the RND from the sound quality end of things it could be a really good product!

The only thing they've ever done wrong is that terribly sexist Ladyface.. which was almost satirical it was so bad..
Old 12th April 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
DM me your details. I'll contact you when we get a demo unit :-)
will do!

Synthax = always great and always helped me out fully, even with second hand gear.
Old 12th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:

i tend to agree about their analog side, but their boxes give loads of digital connectivity for a decent price point, for those of us with laptops and no PCI slots their boxes are often the only option for interfacing a pile of converter/clocking gear. that new UFX for example has madi connectivity, and thunderbolt, the only other product i can think of that gives both madi and TB is antelope orion 32+. i have an original orion with USB only so the UFX+ greatly interests me.

but yeah when i think of RME "sound" i think harsh, metallic, and i generally compare in my mind to apogee and metric halo, both of which i prefer, and both of which are still not quite "mastering grade" to most folks. but all of those boxes offer digital connectivity features that are generally welcome in a mastering studio.
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
this is also the first what i think about rme-converters, but today i had a chat with a great mastering engineer and he was very suprised by the adi2-pro.
he compared the adi-2 pro with the new crane song solaris (both designs based on the same AKM 32bit-converter chip) and he told me "the rme was far better than the solaris".

maybe it's time to forget the prejudices and test this converter
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

I saw and heard it recently at Parson's Expo down in Dedham. Very interesting piece of equipment. It's more than just a converter, since it includes digital EQ and SRC functionality as well. From what I understand this a new design, not the original ADI-2. Supposedly the result of 5 years of development.
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
The only thing they've ever done wrong is that terribly sexist Ladyface.. which was almost satirical it was so bad..
this is not joke :lol OMG...
that display is too small to follow a 30 band analyzer.
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
this is also the first what i think about rme-converters, but today i had a chat with a great mastering engineer and he was very suprised by the adi2-pro.
he compared the adi-2 pro with the new crane song solaris (both designs based on the same AKM 32bit-converter chip) and he told me "the rme was far better than the solaris".

maybe it's time to forget the prejudices and test this converter
Will you?
Make sure to give the violectric 850 a try also (it may use a akm 32 bit too).
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Will you?
Make sure to give the violectric 850 a try also (it may use a akm 32 bit too).
sure, if they have a distribution in switzerland (i can't fiund one on their webside).
i like in a way this "simple dac-concept" better than all this 10'000 features of the rme.

it's interesting that many new designs use this chip now. they can even sound quiet different, die circuit around the chip seams to be much more important.
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'm buying one of this along with the new Mytek Brooklyn DAC. I can try and compare both later.

Though to be honest, I'm buying this because of its features as an interface and not because of the AD/DA. But if the AD/DA ends up being as good as they claim then it will be the bargain of the century.

Last edited by sdbmastering; 29th November 2016 at 10:35 PM..
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Would be interested to see if this compares to my Mytek 8x96 DAC and Lucid AD 9624

RME have the best support
Old 30th November 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbmastering View Post
I'm buying one of this along with the new Mytek Brooklyn DAC. I can try and compare both later.

Though to be honest, I'm buying this because of its features as an interface and not because of the AD/DA. But if the AD/DA ends up being as good as they claim then it will be the bargain of the century.
I'd be really interested in this comparison! It would be great if you could share some audio material...

Concerning overall performance (+ TotalMix), I'm a big fan of RME. I still use the FF800 in my studio as my major interface (with Mytek 8x192 as AD/DA and Dangerous DAC for monitoring). My Babyface works also like a charm on my macbook for audio or for any kind of acoustical measurements. So if RME could finally find a place in the mastering world, I'd be more than interested
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeA View Post
I'd be really interested in this comparison! It would be great if you could share some audio material...

Concerning overall performance (+ TotalMix), I'm a big fan of RME. I still use the FF800 in my studio as my major interface (with Mytek 8x192 as AD/DA and Dangerous DAC for monitoring). My Babyface works also like a charm on my macbook for audio or for any kind of acoustical measurements. So if RME could finally find a place in the mastering world, I'd be more than interested
Sure.

I have no idea when I'll be able to do it, I've just placed the order and I don't even know when the gear will arrive. But as soon as I can spend some time with both units I'll share my thoughts and share some files.
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

i get mid december a rme adi2-pro and a crane song solaris, so i can compare them with my mytek 8x192
i wrote lake people, maybe i can get a converter of them also for the shotout

Last edited by teebaum; 30th November 2016 at 06:10 PM..
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
i get mid december a rme adi2-pro and a crane song solaris, so i can compare them with my mytek 8x192
i wrote lake people, maybe i can get a converter of them also for the shotout
i will get the lake people-converter as well!
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Is this stuf with the new Babyface Pro aswell, or just the Adi 2 Pro?
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
i will get the lake people-converter as well!
Very glad to hear this and thank you in advance! It is quite difficult for us in the U.S.A. to hear Lake People products since they are not widely known or distributed here. I have been very impressed with samples I have heard on these forums and elsewhere and especially would like to hear this exact comparison with the ADI-2 Pro.

Looking forward,
Luke
Old 2nd December 2016
I have to say, that RME has incredible routing options. I never saw something similar in other interfaces. I own a Multiface and a Fireface but the quality of the converter don't satisfy me. That's why I switched to UA Apollo with Forsell Converters and Antelope clock. The tightness and the response is much tighter now.
But I still have big respect for RME. I rememberer, in the year 2000 we had to sync two computers for an audio production. One of the computers had a Multiface, the other a DIGI 96. We couldn't sync the two cards. So I phoned to RME, told them our problem and they wrote a new driver for the DIGI 96 in 2 hours. So we could work on after lunch. Great customer service.
And now I'm curious about the ADI-2 pro.
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondsteinRecords View Post
I have to say, that RME has incredible routing options. I never saw something similar in other interfaces. I own a Multiface and a Fireface but the quality of the converter don't satisfy me. That's why I switched to UA Apollo with Forsell Converters and Antelope clock. The tightness and the response is much tighter now.
But I still have big respect for RME. I rememberer, in the year 2000 we had to sync two computers for an audio production. One of the computers had a Multiface, the other a DIGI 96. We couldn't sync the two cards. So I phoned to RME, told them our problem and they wrote a new driver for the DIGI 96 in 2 hours. So we could work on after lunch. Great customer service.
And now I'm curious about the ADI-2 pro.
I have used RME interfaces for many years, and their driver support is great! But I wouldn't call the ADI-2 Pro routing options incredible. Yes, it's better than the Antelope Pure2, which is a case study in how to severely limit interface functionality. But the ADI-2 Pro does not have the complete flexibility of something like the Lynx Hilo.

As an example, with the ADI-2 Pro you can't have 2 balanced outputs, one for an analog chain on the mix buss and one for monitoring. I can't think of another 2 x 4 interface which has this limitation.
Old 2nd December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesC View Post
As an example, with the ADI-2 Pro you can't have 2 balanced outputs, one for an analog chain on the mix buss and one for monitoring. I can't think of another 2 x 4 interface which has this limitation.
I don't know how the routing in RME's ADI-2 Pro looks like, but the Marix Editor of the Fireface and the Multiface is really handy and limitless. You can route every input to every output. Even parallel and multi-outs.
Old 3rd December 2016
Lives for gear

If you want to know what the routing options are, just download the instruction manual from their website. All of the routing options are clearly shown in block diagrams. No need to speculate what they are.
Old 3rd December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondsteinRecords View Post
I don't know how the routing in RME's ADI-2 Pro looks like, but the Marix Editor of the Fireface and the Multiface is really handy and limitless. You can route every input to every output. Even parallel and multi-outs.
Yes, you're right, their interfaces with TotalMix (like my UFX) have complete routing capability. Unfortunately, the ADI-2 Pro doesn't run TotalMix so the routing is relatively limited.
Old 3rd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesC View Post
Yes, you're right, their interfaces with TotalMix (like my UFX) have complete routing capability. Unfortunately, the ADI-2 Pro doesn't run TotalMix so the routing is relatively limited.
the adi-2 pro is mainly a" a/d and d/a-converter", not a "audio interface".

if the converter sonicly plays in der solaris-range, the adi2-pro is a bargain, even without any routing-possibilities.
Old 3rd December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
the adi-2 pro is mainly a" a/d and d/a-converter", not a "audio interface".

if the converter sonicly plays in der solaris-range, the adi2-pro is a bargain, even without any routing-possibilities.
Yeah, Antelope says similar things about the Pure2, it's mainly an ad-da converter. In both cases, they offer interface capabilities with limited routing. Very frustrating for a small home studio where they could have easily been a complete interface offering with some simple additional functionality
📝 Reply