The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
RME ADI-2 Pro
Old 19th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesC View Post
If you want to use all three of those outputs at the same time, then this won't work. Headphone output PH 1/2 is the same as the outputs on the rear.

However, this can work if you want to use the compressor while mixing, but now while tracking. So you can track while you're monitoring through either PH 1/2 or PH 3/4. And you can mix by using the rear outputs into the compressor and monitoring through PH 3/4.
Thank you!
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush411 View Post
Thank you!
Oops, I meant "but not while tracking". I fixed my post above.
Old 20th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesC View Post
If you want to use all three of those outputs at the same time, then this won't work. Headphone output PH 1/2 is the same as the outputs on the rear.

However, this can work if you want to use the compressor while mixing, but not while tracking. So you can track while you're monitoring through either PH 1/2 or PH 3/4. And you can mix by using the rear outputs into the compressor and monitoring through PH 3/4.
Ok so let me make sure I got this right. Let's assume my set up includes Burl B2 ADC and for interface and DAC we got the RME.
When I track vocals, I go mic>pre>comp>BURL>RME>computer DAW.

While tracking, headphones will be connected to RME PH ½.

Then after vocals recorded, to mix them I’ll connect outboard hardware like compressor to the Burl, correct? And I can hear what I am mixing through monitors connected to RME rear outputs, correct?

Do I got this right or am I off on something? Thanks again for all of your help.

Last edited by Krush411; 21st January 2018 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush411 View Post
Ok so let me make sure I got this right. Let's assume my set up includes Burl B2 ADC and for interface and DAC we got the RME.
When I track vocals, I go mic>pre>comp>BURL>RME>computer DAW.

While tracking, headphones will be connected to RME PH ½.

Then after vocals recorded, to mix them I’ll connect outboard hardware like compressor to the Burl, correct? And I can hear what I am mixing through monitors connected to RME rear outputs, correct?

Do I got this right or am I off on something? Thanks again for all of your help.
I think you have it mostly right. But it depends on how you feed the outboard hardware to the Burl while mixing.

For example, let's you go RME rear analog outputs to outboard analog hardware to the Burl analog input for mixing. For monitoring, if you monitor off the other rear analog output or HP 1/2, you will be hearing the mix before processing, that is, the signal that you're sending to the outboard hardware. If you want to monitor what the signal sounds like with processing, you would monitor using HP 3/4. To do this you would have to use your DAW for the routing, since the ADI-2 Pro doesn't have TotalMix routing software.
Old 8th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGrease View Post
Ultimately, can you make great music with the ADI-2 Pro? Of course. It is better than many other converters out there. I was going to say that the Solaris is the one to beat, but (at least in the USB world) the Solaris driven by the ADI-2 Pro is now the one to beat.
the Crane Song Solaris systematically oversample in 32 bit, 211KHz
it could be the reason why it seems to sound superior.

Would it be possible to get even better sound from the ADI-2 PRO by using oversampling to 32bit, 768Khz?

With the FireFace 800 i noticed a significant improvement in the quality of the tones and timbre by oversampling to 192Khz, just by setting the overall sample rate to 192Khz in the FF800 settings panel.

And I oversample to 32 bit float with the playback software, even thow the FF800 can only output at 24bit,
the software 32 bit oversampling gives a much more natural sound, more open and realistic.

It seems that you could also oversample by choosing a sample rate of 768Khz in the ADI-2 PRO USB driver..?

And i guess the 32 bit oversampling can be done by using the playback software?
Old 8th February 2018
Here for the gear

I did some test on my RME fireface 800 and..
i have astonishingly much better results oversampling everything to 32 bit float, and 192Khz.

I want to buy a RME ADI-2 PRO hoping i could get even better sound in oversampling everything systematically to 768Khz...

Did anyone made any listening test with simply changing the ADI-2 PRO sample rate setting to 786KHz?

To monitor the sound i have good high +100db sensitivity dynamics speakers Altec VOT
with JBL woofers and JBL compression drivers inside with passive filters,
all driven by a SE 300b audionote tube amplifier.
But the oversampling differences in quality are very apparent even at low volume.

I am not sure why the sound is so so much better, but it works:
with this oversampling the tones and timbre from 44Khz to 96hz and to 192khz get less and less artificially colored with every higher sample rate.
The sound is less electronicly colored and becomes more natural and detailed.

The most impressive improvement is the 32 bit float oversampling in software, althow i can only output 24 bit now in analogue with my ff800.
The dynamic is much better and so much hidden live informations just appeared from using 32bit float over using 24 bit int,
and the sound is just much realistic and more life like.

The software settings i am using to oversample playback in 32 bit float in windows 7:

I use MPC HC 1.7.9 for sound playback.
Option: playback>output>audio rendrer: Surodev ASIO Renderer
Filters: LAV audio Decoders: OUtput format: 32 bit floating point
REclock 1.8.8.4: settings:
PCM: WAve Out
Bitstream: Wave out
Wave out: Speakers RME fireface 800
PCM output: sampling rate: 192Khz
Format: 32 bit IEEE Float
Bitstream: accept bitstream format
FF800 settings panel: clock mode Sample rate 192khz
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Can someone reveal the step size of the EQ in this box? Does it have single digit adjustment or is it the usual, unusable fraction of an octave arrangement? I would be happy if one could adjust the EQ to any desired frequency and with a 0,05 dB +/- resolution (at least at the lowest EQ gain settings).

Bonus question: do you percieve any negative impact at all (coloration, depth reduction, aliasing, focus loss) from this digital EQ? It will be used for monitor FR compensation, so fidelity is of utmost importance. I will be making 1 dB adjustments, tops, so if it has any detrimental quality what so ever, the tradeoff will not be worth it.

Thanks!
Old 25th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskari J. View Post
Can someone reveal the step size of the EQ in this box? Does it have single digit adjustment or is it the usual, unusable fraction of an octave arrangement? I would be happy if one could adjust the EQ to any desired frequency and with a 0,05 dB +/- resolution (at least at the lowest EQ gain settings).
Just got the RME ADI 2 Pro, tried fast, havent read the manual but seems like it has 0.5db steps. Maybe theres more fine adjustment, I just upgraded to latest firmware so Ill check some more later

http://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2profs_e.pdf

There is the latest manual if you want to take a look for yourself.

- Lars
Old 25th April 2018
Gear Nut
It's currently 0.5 dB steps. It would probably be possible to have it in 0.1dB steps ("Fine EQ" as an option etc) in a firmware update, but for me I dont think I could distinguish an EQ change of less than 0.5dB blind folded. I use 1dB steps for the clip gain in Pro Tools for most projects, mostly to save me some undo steps though

I think its a very capable EQ. I like the linear phase Slow FIR filter and I think you'll be happy with the sound. 5 bands with 0.5-5.0 Q Bell curve +-12dB. Band 1 and 5 selectable Bell, Shelf and HP/LP

Old 5th March 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Got mine this morning. Blown away by the quality of the unit, very small and neat (all cabling etc round the back also), the screen is way higher quality than expected. Although the default modes don't really chime with a pro audio set up IMHO I got there within a few hours. Now I'm testing the AD/DA filters and it really is eye opening how well and predictable it works in that respect.

They've really disrupted the ADDA market with this as such a price point I think
Old 5th March 2019
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Menu navigation is a bit of a pain
Support and updates to the product line very good (see dedicated forum with firmware updates)
Old 5th March 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
Menu navigation is a bit of a pain
Support and updates to the product line very good (see dedicated forum with firmware updates)
Yeah I got used to it I think... just seems odd to have double functioning buttons when you could have another little tiny button. Ho hum!

Haven't quite worked out the depths of clocking in case I plug anything else into it, but using the AD DA as an analogue loop directly from the onboard analogue sockets sounds fantastic
Old 5th March 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
Yeah I got used to it I think... just seems odd to have double functioning buttons when you could have another little tiny button. Ho hum!

Haven't quite worked out the depths of clocking in case I plug anything else into it, but using the AD DA as an analogue loop directly from the onboard analogue sockets sounds fantastic
Edit, meant to add this, from the Facebook forum..

"Hey friends and colleagues. I posted a while back about thinking about purchasing an RME ADI-2 Pro FS. I now have it and am testing it this morning and thought I would share some thoughts and comments on things which came up as some other folks showed an interest

The design and size is lovely, it's really small and neat and the cables tidy away nicely around the back. The screen is very high quality also.

The default mode it comes in caught me out as it tries to be clever and route all the signals to the different outputs (both analogue and digital), you have to unplug it and connect to "CC mode" to gain access to all the IO. This took me an hour to work out how to do properly and calibrate them all. Bit more difficult than a normal RME internal card.

The initial AD/DA gains were a bit odd to begin with also but after fiddling with the IO window I managed it (after pressing the wrong buttons many times..anyone new to the menu will understand!)

The manual is about as deep as I've ever seen for a DA/AD, the info on the filter modes is incredibly good and honest.

On that note I am currently having a listen to the different AD modes and they do exactly what you'd expect. Although I'm not sure why they didn't just use the words "minimum phase" and "linear phase" so anyone who's used a modern digital EQ can get their heads round it instantly!

They sound as they should and I am already thinking of some scenarios where one is more useful than the other, although the default modes are the most impulse and frequency linear. I know some folks don't like the idea of not having it tuned, but I think as DSP moves on and can be stored inside such a unit successfully it's cool to have a choice. It's also very much in line with how RMEs designs usually work. Deep and require a manual

Not tried the DA modes yet, but am interested to see how I can make it sound against my Prism AD1 (which has a "slow" roll off also)."
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Maniac
Hi,

If I'd like to record stereo guitar track on Cubase with ADI-2 Pro FS would I hear my guitar signal and the other recorded tracks via my monitors or headphones?

Guitar (stereo) > 1x external analog preamp (L) + 1x external analog preamp (R) > RME ADI-2 Pro's analog inputs > Monitors / Headphones
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4R10 View Post
Hi,

If I'd like to record stereo guitar track on Cubase with ADI-2 Pro FS would I hear my guitar signal and the other recorded tracks via my monitors or headphones?

Guitar (stereo) > 1x external analog preamp (L) + 1x external analog preamp (R) > RME ADI-2 Pro's analog inputs > Monitors / Headphones
Yes this should be possible with any audio interface.
Just make sure you have monitoring enabled in Cubase (usually the little orange speaker icon)
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

With one starting back with the SEK'D 24/96 [URL="

the older ADi-2 original == is more quality, than my ears can hear -- sticking with that for our clock /monitoring...for now

Last edited by cjogo; 22nd April 2019 at 11:30 PM..
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Yes this should be possible with any audio interface.
Just make sure you have monitoring enabled in Cubase (usually the little orange speaker icon)
Ok, thanks!

I had to ask because I've been reading RME Forum and someone said that it is possible only if you connect RME audio interface w/ TotalMix to ADI-2 Pro. And if that's so then ADI-2 Pro FS is not a right converter/interface for me since I already have good preamps (Avalon) and don't wanna buy a converter that needs to be connected to another audio interface to be able to mix/monitor inputs (DAW + tracking a guitar).
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4R10 View Post
I had to ask because I've been reading RME Forum and someone said that it is possible only if you connect RME audio interface w/ TotalMix to ADI-2 Pro. And if that's so then ADI-2 Pro FS is not a right converter/interface for me since I already have good preamps (Avalon) and don't wanna buy a converter that needs to be connected to another audio interface to be able to mix/monitor inputs (DAW + tracking a guitar).
It's true, that ADI-2 Pro doesn't have any "own" low latency monitoring facility.

What was described previously is called software or DAW monitoring.. that means, signal goes through interface, driver to DAW, where it's processed, then back to driver, interface and you'll hear that.
It's is the most straightforward and flexible, because you can add effects in DAW (amp sim, dynamics, whatever)..
But it works well only, if you can operate your DAW projects at very short buffers (which might be demanding on CPU), otherwise you'd get very perceptible latency.
You can realistically expect roundtrip delay around 5 ms with ADI-2 Pro and 64 sample buffers at 44.1k, unless you have CPU demanding project.
Usually that's fine for instrument recording, but still even such rather small latency might not feel right for vocalists with headphones.
But it's all quite subjective thing and for example people, who are used to live wireless IEM mixes doesn't necessarily have problems with that.

To overcome that, most of recording oriented audio interfaces has also option to use hardware monitoring, where you can basically hear input signals before they reach the computer and mix them with playback from computer (backing tracks, click). So it's pretty much independent on working buffer size.

ADI-2 Pro, which is still primarily a converter with built-in audio interface, doesn't have any such hardware mixing facility. You can select whether you're listening to input signal (with very small fixed latency at hardware) or playback from computer, but there is no option to mix those together. So previously mentioned software monitoring is the only option there.

That's likely why someone at other forum suggested to use it with another interface. But ultimately you have to test it, maybe it won't be really any practical problem for you.

Michal
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Usually that's fine for instrument recording, but still even such rather small latency might not feel right for vocalists with headphones.
But it's all quite subjective thing and for example people, who are used to live wireless IEM mixes doesn't necessarily have problems with that.

To overcome that, most of recording oriented audio interfaces has also option to use hardware monitoring, where you can basically hear input signals before they reach the computer and mix them with playback from computer (backing tracks, click). So it's pretty much independent on working buffer size.

ADI-2 Pro, which is still primarily a converter with built-in audio interface, doesn't have any such hardware mixing facility. You can select whether you're listening to input signal (with very small fixed latency at hardware) or playback from computer, but there is no option to mix those together. So previously mentioned software monitoring is the only option there.
That's good to know, thanks!

I usually track (guitars, bass, vocals) with 128 buffer size and also bypass most of the plugins to eliminate the latency, so I guess I'll be ok. But like you said I have to test it and that's what I'm gonna do.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
am interested to see how I can make it sound against my Prism AD1 (which has a "slow" roll off also)."
so how did it compare to your AD1?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
so how did it compare to your AD1?
Prism AD1 has an enhanced low end but loses a little bit of stereo.

RME ADI-2 Pros deviations which you can adjust are less extreme when comparing to the source.

AD1 has a great mojo!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search