The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
are you using pre-amps on you're krell/levinson/passlabs
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
are you using pre-amps on you're krell/levinson/passlabs

I'm just wondering ... are you guy's using a pre-amp ( no mike-pre-amp ) or is you're mastering-console/your DA monitoring converter directly connected to the end-amplifier ...

or when using a pre-amp do you connect it to the aux-input from the pre-amp.

I'm making my mind up on the new final monitoring/amping ..... and for sure want to connect a turntable/cd-player ...

But those can be connected to the dig/analog inputs mastering-console .... ( croockwood )

where am I going wrong .....

regards wim

www.inlinemastering.com
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
bumpy ..
Old 6th February 2007
Craneslut

Verified Member
My (passive) mastering console feeds my Pass Labs X250 directly.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'd say most mastering studios are using a dedicated monitor controller, either a custom console or something off the shelf - and most usually with just a stepped passive attenuator - that feeds directly to the power amps.

I personally use a Coleman Audio M3PHmkII this way - http://www.colemanaudio.com/cntrl.htm#m3lnk

Other commonly used monitor controllers are the Cranesong Avocet, the Dangerous Monitor, Crookwood igloo, SPL DMC, Grace Design 904.

In terms of hooking up a CD player - it's best to get one with either a spdif or AES output so you can rout this to the same DAC you use for the rest of your monitoring. I have a number of digital transports (2 DAWs, 2 CD players w/spdif outs, 2 DATs, 1 MD, 1 DVD-V) along with my converters (3 DAC's, 1 ADC) all hooked up to 2 Z-Sys Digital Detangler digital patchbay so that any digital source can be routed and multed to any digital destination. Little Labs also makes digital patch bays too.,
1 of my DAC's goes to my analog process chain (which directly feeds the ADC) - the other 2 DAC's go to seperate inputs of my Coleman so I can do one button push comparisons of the source and the processed signals.

In terms of hooking up a turntable - you just need a standalone dedicated phono preamp for this to send this to another input of your monitor controller. I recently got the Simaudio Moon LP5.3 for this as it features balanced outputs and is incredibly clean and accurate.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I have an Avocet that's hooked straight to the Pass.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Brad, Cellotron ( Steve ) , Massive ( John ) .... thanks for you're answers ...

Ok that's what I was hoping for ...... no need for an expensive pre-amp ...
some more for a decent AMP and speakers ....

if I understand correctly ( in my case ) The crookwood will have it's main (A) monitor output connected directly to the L+R inputs on the MAIN AMP.

cd-player with AES and a phono-preamp with an analoge out ...

I'll have a check before ordering the croockwood iMon mastering-console

Thanks again for you're answers !!!

wim
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Addict

I have my Avocet Surround Ed. going into 2 Pass Labs XA-160's and a Pass Labs X-3. Priceless!!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
you're all slutz with those amps !!!!

cheers !!!

wim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search