The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EQ Magazine - mastering special
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

EQ Magazine - mastering special

Just picked up the February ish.. reading it now..

Congrats to my pal Chris Athens for a well done interview. I thought the part about mentoring was really cool.
So, you don't believe in keeping secrets? Check your email in 5 minutes for my BIG list of questions...

What is with the Neumann on the cover? I noticed you dropped the "V" bomb when talking about a good depression lifter. What kind of turntable do you use?

What a confusing contrast to Craig Andertons DIY plugin mastering article?
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by phild View Post
Just picked up the February ish.. reading it now..

Congrats to my pal Chris Athens for a well done interview. I thought the part about mentoring was really cool.
So, you don't believe in keeping secrets? Check your email in 5 minutes for my BIG list of questions...

What is with the Neumann on the cover? I noticed you dropped the "V" bomb when talking about a good depression lifter. What kind of turntable do you use?

What a confusing contrast to Craig Andertons DIY plugin mastering article?
Hey, thanks Phil.
You can be sure that I'll answer all of your questions truthfully [right! Remember the "soft limit" affair?].

I listen on a halfway decent Numark DJ turntable [nothin exotic] that sees a little use for taking samples and scratching and stuff [I use a different cartrige for that].

I'm a big Craig Anderton fan. He's a very clever guy. I picked up a lot of cool tips from his articles over the years. Mastering seems to be his favorite subject at the moment [seems like he writes a mastering article every month]. Of course I have mixed feelings about that. There is more to mastering than the latest software bundle and some basic techniques [then again, maybe there isn't]. I think mastering means different things to different people these days. Some people are looking for an objective ear, an excellent monitoring environment and vast experience. Those people hire mastering engineers. Some folks are looking for a way to do it themselves and articles that review software or give techniques are good for that. To each his own - ya know?
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterer View Post
Some folks are looking for a way to do it themselves and articles that review software or give techniques are good for that. To each his own - ya know?

In next month's JAMA journal I have an article on DIY Anesthesia... IT'S A GAS!!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 5th February 2007
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crna59 View Post
In next month's JAMA journal I have an article on DIY Anesthesia... IT'S A GAS!!

Regards,
Bruce

As much as I understand your frustration, that is a piss poor analogy; really , Anesthesia is life or death! If joe blow wants to mangle his own audio , nobody dies.

Besides, you can always fix it in the shrinkwrap. stike stike
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfinger View Post
As much as I understand your frustration, that is a piss poor analogy; really , Anesthesia is life or death! If joe blow wants to mangle his own audio , nobody dies.

Geez.... I guess no one is into any Medical humor on a Monday...

Regards,
Bruce
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

I thought it was funny.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Me too, especially after the creaming the recent DIY mastering articles have had by most mastering engineers that know what they are talking about.

Regards

Roland
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterer View Post
You can be sure that I'll answer all of your questions truthfully [right! Remember the "soft limit" affair?].
Remember? What a scene that was!

My Irish/Macedonian heritage allows me to forgive - but not forget. hahaa

One day man...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search