The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
STC8 or Manley Vari Mu for Mastering
Old 2nd February 2007
  #31
Gear Guru
 
lucey's Avatar
"Try it for yourself" is one of those things that could be said about every post on this forum and every forum, and it has been said ... over and over and over.

It just seems like posturing to me. As in, 'if you were as smart as me you'd not ask such trivia and try it for yourself.'
Old 2nd February 2007
  #32
Craneslut
 
Brad Blackwood's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
"Try it for yourself" is one of those things that could be said about every post on this forum and every forum, and it has been said ... over and over and over.

It just seems like posturing to me. As in, 'if you were as smart as me you'd not ask such trivia and try it for yourself.'
Yah, God forbid we actually tell the guy what he needs to do instead of perpetuating the reliance on others' ears that is so prevalent today.

Great idea!
Old 2nd February 2007
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Bob Yordan's Avatar
Hmm, perhaps we should like on the Cubase/Nuendo forum add the serial number (dongles)
of our Manleys, Cranesongs, Weiss, Neves, SSLs etc etc in our profiles so we have the correct authorisation to post? heh

If someone cant ask for guidance for eg a future purchase, then this forum is
kind of obsolete, IMHO.


Old 2nd February 2007
  #34
Gear Nut
 
pinwale's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
"Try it for yourself" is one of those things that could be said about every post on this forum and every forum, and it has been said ... over and over and over.

It just seems like posturing to me. As in, 'if you were as smart as me you'd not ask such trivia and try it for yourself.'
Wow.

You're either an utter cretin, or you just don't like Mr. Blackwood for some reason. Otherwise, why would you start a ruckus over something where you're so clearly in error? For that matter, you might want to follow your own dogma as outlined in this pearl of a thread. But please, at least take a moment to think about the first line of lyrics to the theme song from "Different Strokes." (Yes, we get some American TV shows here)

And in closing, I wonder if you think that using the rotating CND-sign at the end of a post like this is some kind of shield against people thinking you're behaving like a plonker.

Old 2nd February 2007
  #35
Moderator
 
toolskid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
"Try it for yourself" is one of those things that could be said about every post on this forum and every forum, and it has been said ... over and over and over.

It just seems like posturing to me. As in, 'if you were as smart as me you'd not ask such trivia and try it for yourself.'
well.. what can you say to this...

I think it is a very valid point BB made...

Maybe if the original poster had tried both units and had some SPECIFIC enquiries about the differences THEY HAVE discovered through their own experimentation, they may then be in a better position to ask a relevant question...
Old 2nd February 2007
  #36
Gear Guru
 
lucey's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid View Post
Maybe if the original poster had tried both units and had some SPECIFIC enquiries about the differences THEY HAVE discovered through their own experimentation, they may then be in a better position to ask a relevant question...
I found his question limited and a little naive, but still "relevant". As a moderator why dont you post a nice clear Sticky that says "try everything for yourself" etc. etc. etc. Then the repetition and posturing can stop and the discussion can begin. Problem solved.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood View Post
Yah, God forbid we actually tell the guy what he needs to do instead of perpetuating the reliance on others' ears that is so prevalent today.

Great idea!
Assumptions vary, and reflect who we are. I assume that he's smart enough to know that to be really happy with anything, he needs to try it for himself. I assume he's looking to narrow the choices because it's more efficient to post than to test everything out there. OTOH you assume he's stupid enough, or trusts you enough, to run out based on a forum and drop $4000 and expect total happiness without trying it for himself. Assumptions are everything.

I also assume and can logically deduce, that every thread here could be stopped and this forum shut down if all there was to say was "try it for yourself" and "with more experience, every tool is fine, it's the music, it's the cook" etc. Since I dont think I'm better than this forum or better than other people, or their life coach ... I simply play along with their queries, knowing that a smart person will try, and knows to try - and a person who trusts will learn skepticism over time.

It's a point on conversation for other people too, who have more experience and are interested in their own way.




Let's say I have an old Chevy ... you have a new Honda, and used to have a Chevy. Fred has a BMW and used to have a Honda. At dinner I say to you ... hows that Honda doing in the snow? Do you say, "let's go take a drive", and then go back to eating? "Every car gets you from A to B"? "Go test drive it and THEN we'll talk" etc. Would that be dinner with you? What's the harm in a little friendly conversation? What if I say "hows the actual city mileage"? Do you say, "lets go drive 400 miles and you can see for yourself"?

In a long line at the grocery, a woman sees you have standard flour is inspired to tell you about organic flour, and how it made her cookies and cakes taste better. You're intrigued but not convinced, and consider it for next time. She also mentions a new restaurant that has the 'best sushi in town' ... and given her detailed explanation of the flour, you think "maybe so" on the Sushi place. Then again you may never go to the sushi place or buy expensive flour. And this is called LIFE.

On the theory that people are idiots and believe every word we say you could make up T shirts that say "DIY" and never talk to anyone ever again, just point to the shirt knowingly and walk away.
Old 2nd February 2007
  #37
Moderator
 
toolskid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
I found his question limited and a little naive, but still "relevant".




so you don't think that it would have been a good idea for the OP to come to the table with an idea of what they were actually trying to find out?
Old 2nd February 2007
  #38
Lives for gear
 
masteringhouse's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood View Post
Where did I say it was supposed to be uplifting? And it's not insulting, it's the truth. People don't need to be gently led along and treated with kid gloves, they need to be told to go and gain experience of their own.

I'd like to think that maybe, just maybe, someone will read my post and think "Yah, why do people go ask what gear they should buy from other people instead of using their own ears?"

But why do that when you can just ask a room full of folks with different ears than you!
Absolutely you have to make a final decision based on your own ears and taste. It doesn't hurt to ask for opinions though does it? There have been some great gear recommendations that I gotten from various forums. What I look for is a common thread between all of the responses before I determine any has merit though. With exceptions of comments from some folks who I've come to trust, like you Brad. Though I still wouldn't buy a piece based on any one person's opinion.

For some folks the opportunity of being able to demo a piece of gear in their own studio doesn't present itself, let alone several from different manufacturers.
Old 2nd February 2007
  #39
Gear Guru
 
lucey's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid View Post
so you don't think that it would have been a good idea for the OP to come to the table with an idea of what they were actually trying to find out?
In fact it was a weak question. Yes of course it could have been "better". And it showed inexperience on his part ... so it was an opportunity to jump on the guy for being naive or foolish. Jumping on the weak is not my game, however, and I dont like it. Thus my first post, which tried to draw out a better question from this stranger. Instead of insulting his question, or stating the obvious and in some way shutting down the dialogue he needed, I aimed to LEAD the guy to a better question for himself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
What do you want that you cant do now?
Lead, dont preach ... that's experience when it comes to dialogue. Posting from the view of 'DIY, dummy' or 'um, your question could be better' can also be said about most posts here. The quality of the question determines the quality of the answer, that's a fact, always and forever ... and could be a Cosmic Sticky. So in now criticising the quality of the OPs (weak) question you're doing the same thing Brad was doing ... posturing yourself as better than him and skipping his point or needs for some side point.

Yes maybe he needs to try things ... but maybe he first really needs to think about things differently, or better in this case. Trying things all day and not know why or how is a waste of time! Thus my question, which he has ignored ... so we are talking now to ourselves heh




The bigger point to all comparison threads is this ... are there in fact better tools or is it all on the user? Clearly there are better tools. And for the job of dance music, can you use an ART Pro VLA and 2 160VUs and do as well as a C1 with an L2M? Probably so, certainly in a way the public will never notice ... but this thread began about the journey for the OP, not what you or I can do with his tools, or what he should be asking, etc.

Mastering is about expertise ... that's why we all have clients. We're asked to be 'better' than what came before. Provide better eq balances from better monitoring, and a better perspective from experienced and musical ears/overview, etc. But let's pretend that we're also humble conversationalists?

out
Old 2nd February 2007
  #40
Moderator
 
toolskid's Avatar
 

I think I can only post this in reply:

All in good humour tho

so..

LUCEY:
Attached Thumbnails
STC8 or Manley Vari Mu for Mastering-missingthepoint.jpg  
Old 4th February 2007
  #41
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
How is your (insulting and obvious) point any less 'depressing'?

Have you never asked anyone about equipment and found something useful in their answer? Of course he needs to try these out and see for himself. Yet given the same skill there are better tools for different jobs, that's a fact. And there are too many tools to A/B them all at once. So asking a preference question about gear ... on, er, Gearslutz ... and getting some feedback might save a smart person some time and trouble (if he's even still here) before the trials begin.

I wouldn't want a Vari Mu for a main comp doing mostly dance music, nor a C2 only ... I used to have the Man MU (sans HP mod) and never miss it. I've asked him what he wanted, in hope of a dialog that explains his mindset more clearly ... but he's gone off. Maybe he's now trying some things that were mentioned while you're insulting him for asking. tutt
I agree! I think you should demo gear whenever possible, but slutz opinions have been so valuable to me in narrowing down purchase decisions and if nothing else, considering alternatives that I have not considered. In my case, I've benefited greatly from hearing what others think about different gear, and if I pull the trigger on something that I couldn't demo, and end up not liking it- I send it back. Shipping costs yeah, but in most cases, gear slutz consenses is on point.
Old 4th February 2007
  #42
Gear Head
 
punisher's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwale View Post
Wow.

You're either an utter cretin, or you just don't like Mr. Blackwood for some reason. Otherwise, why would you start a ruckus over something where you're so clearly in error? For that matter, you might want to follow your own dogma as outlined in this pearl of a thread. But please, at least take a moment to think about the first line of lyrics to the theme song from "Different Strokes." (Yes, we get some American TV shows here)

And in closing, I wonder if you think that using the rotating CND-sign at the end of a post like this is some kind of shield against people thinking you're behaving like a plonker.


Well this is just typical of Lucey's form and shows you why he is banned from other forums.

Lucey is only here because he is the subject of much ridicule and provides a great laugh and much entertainment to the majority here.

He bites soooooooo easily.

Just watch this space.


And moderators....I PROMISE that avatar is going through some minor cosmetic changes and will be unveiled this week.
Old 4th February 2007
  #43
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
I don´t really understand this kind of not very nice and pointless arguments. And I think what Lucey says is basically right. Forums and chats like this are exactly about that - asking people about their experience with the things they have and that the person who enquires does not have. It is often a useful first step - to get a general idea and then to try what seems to be worth to try.

Trying out the things may not be always that easy - either there is no dealer around who keeps them permanently or it would take long time before they are available etc. So why not to ask and to chat about it in between ? If I consider 5 options and find that many experienced people think only 2 of them are worth to try, does it not help and simplify the quest ?

Is it unpleasant or boring for you to talk about gear or other things one asks ? Then you are definitely at the wrong place and better don´t waste your time by replying and bashing the questioner that he asked a question (to show how great YOU are) and go doing something more useful. Sincerely - when YOU were in the stage of discovering all these things - did you not ask many questions around ? But now you are a Great Master knowing everything and these unexperienced street folks are bothering you ? ...

If there are people who enjoy helping others and to share their experience, let them do that. If no one feels like replying, there will be no replies - still much better than some of the useless self-centered posts above.
It becomes a kind of strange fashion here nowadays: someone asks a question and immediately gets bunch of replies explaining how stupid and hopeless he is that he asked ... A bit more humility and openess could be nice and healthy ... (and helpful too ...)

Back to the topic: STC-8 is great but may be a bit too clean for certain tasks. If you want to give the music a punchy weight with velvet shining body (that the original does not have), Gyratec G10 makes me smiling always ...(and it is really fast). STC-8 will not give much extra ... it will rather beautifully emphasise what is already there ... In my experience, there is a majority of mixes that need and enjoy some audible flattering "enhancement". Only the few perfect ones remain happy as they are.
Old 4th February 2007
  #44
Lives for gear
 
e-cue's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher View Post
Lucey is only here because he is the subject of much ridicule and provides a great laugh and much entertainment to the majority here.
And here I thought it was because he bought adspace at gearslutz.


Back on topic, I'd go for the STC-8. Personally, I don't feel a need for the souped up 'mastering' versions and think the stock version is just fine for mastering (pros: you dial settings in tighten, cons: more difficult to recall and is supposed to sound slightly better). The STC-8 more versatile, and safe at the same time. I can always get away with more gain reduction if I want with the STC. It sounds better, and you won't have to worry about replacing tubes. The vari-mu breaks up to hell past a db or two of gain reduction. Cranesongs impeccable LIFETIME customer service no matter who the owner is secures the resale value of the Cranesong unit. Another issue I have with the Manley Mu is that i've seen several units in racks that don't have any documentation on the unit wether the T-mod mod (which I believe there's more than one version of) has been done. In other words, keep you eye open for that if you buy used.
Old 4th February 2007
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by masteringhouse View Post
Absolutely you have to make a final decision based on your own ears and taste. It doesn't hurt to ask for opinions though does it? There have been some great gear recommendations that I gotten from various forums. What I look for is a common thread between all of the responses before I determine any has merit though. With exceptions of comments from some folks who I've come to trust, like you Brad. Though I still wouldn't buy a piece based on any one person's opinion.

For some folks the opportunity of being able to demo a piece of gear in their own studio doesn't present itself, let alone several from different manufacturers.
I'm with you on this, Tom.

I've been mastering for about 15 years but when I decided to do a major upgrade of gear in my studio, I turned to the forums for recommendations of where to start.

For instance I was looking for an additional outboard eq unit so I posted all the gear that I had to that point. Some suggestions were made which helped me to narrow down my choices to two units that I could actually get in to demo. Then I chose the one I liked best. I now have a Prism MEA-2.

Same with converters. I studied all the posts and decided to go with a LavryGold loop. Those I just bought without hearing and I am very happy.

Same with speakers (Lipinski/Velodynes), same with speaker switcher (Dangerous ST), same with tape recorder (Spitz ATR 102 w/Aria & Vintage electronics).

The posts helped to narrow down the choices and I am very appreciative of the comments. Some really nice folks even PMed me with suggestions. Before I discovered the mastering webboards, my method of gear acquisition was a lot more haphazard so I am grateful for the experience being shared here.

Ultimately, I made most of the decisions by demoing but in the case of the Lavry and ATR, I did my due diligence based on descriptions, accolades and recommendations and just decided to buy without trying!

I'm currently watching the posts re Mastering DAWs to see if I want to change. Maybe SoundBlade will "arrive" or perhaps Sequoia will be deemed to be totally workable on the MAC Intels. I perfectly happy with what I have but watching the evolution of gear is fascinating and may ultimately be useful to me.

At some point I may be looking for another compressor so I'll go back to the many posts and see if there is a reasonable consensus for one or two to demo that will give me a different flavour from my current collection.
Old 4th February 2007
  #46
Moderator
 
jayfrigo's Avatar
 

Verified Member
At the risk of doing something crazy and getting back ON topic...

I love the Manley Vari-Mu, especially for rock. I find that you can get the input into that magic range where it sounds for real like what the Hedd is trying to emulate. It does have a vibe and a sound, and it's not perfect for everyting, but it's a classic for good reason, and I have no plans to part with it.

The STC is a great piece too, and more versatile than a Mu. If it were the only box in the room, it would probably be a better choice. However, for compression, I like having a few to choose from that cover a lot of ground in combination rather than trying to get a jack of all trades.

Other boxes worth considering include the Pendulum units (opti and mu) and the API 2500.

And please, with my moderator hat on... try to keep this thread from veering off. Don't feed the trolls! Whomever you believe them to be, and I know not everybody will agree, but just don't feed them. We understand both that people should listen for themselves, and that they can benefit from others' experience. 'Nuff said.
Old 4th February 2007
  #47
Moderator
 
jayfrigo's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post
The vari-mu breaks up to hell past a db or two of gain reduction.
I would have to disagree. The Mu has a color and a sound to be sure, but the gain reduction is actually rather transparent. 4 dB of GR doesn't exhibit any "breaking up", though I can't imagine many mastering situations where you would need 4 dB of GR at the compressor.
Old 5th February 2007
  #48
Lives for gear
 
robot gigante's Avatar
Actually I really love what the Vari-Mu does sometimes too- when it works, it really works, even on dance music. Besides the gain reduction part of it, what I really rely on it for a lot of times is the sound you get when you drive the input- nothing I've used so far does that. As far as the gain reduction goes it can be hit or miss sometimes, but also sometimes you can get it to pump with the mix in a way that really works.

I have used more than a couple db with it on occasion, but those were special circumstances- coincedentally one of those times was when mastering a house mix.

But the STC-8 is definitely more versatile, is more transparent, and can be used to tighten up the low end really nicely. Which are all very important aspects.

Come to think of it, here's another classic Gearslutz answer: you need both!
Old 5th February 2007
  #49
Lives for gear
 

How about the Phoenix Compressor for Hiphop and Dance music. I am pretty much set ont eh Cranesong but I am curious if anyone is using or recommends the Phoenix compressor.
Old 6th February 2007
  #50
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alécio Costa View Post
can anyone comment about this HPF modification on the VariMu?
Is this a bonus knob?
1/ on Manley website they say :

This HP SC Mod can be used with music with heavy bass lines or bass-heavy mixes where you don't want the bass driving the whole action of the compressor.

i think too many people, concerning mostly "bass music", think they want the bass not driving the whole action of the compressor.

but, in my opinion, i think it will always be better to talk about "full spectrum music with lots of bass" instead of "bass music", otherwise the music is too much divided between bass part and the rest.

For me if there is a lot of bass, i find the MU system much more appropriate to glue all things together naturally, like the human ear would do, i don't like so much the fact to separate things, like a MultiBand compressor would do.

So as Manley said themselves, this option is IF YOU WANT...
It doesn't mean that because you're mastering dance music YOU NEED TO have this option.


2/ you can also find this on the Manley website,

Rumors that the Variable Mu is somehow lacking in the lows may be traced
back to some outlandish web posters who originally said it to be
controversial, and it was! If one wants to get attention on the web, a
proven way is to squawk about the most respected stuff or challenge digital
theory. Its that or open heated discussions about politics or religion.


i tend to agree with that too...
a lot of people will talk about the "mushy" bass of the VARI MU like a tale which is already part of its own folklore...
Old 6th February 2007
  #51
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
1/ on Manley website they say :

This HP SC Mod can be used with music with heavy bass lines or bass-heavy mixes where you don't want the bass driving the whole action of the compressor.

i think too many people, concerning mostly "bass music", think they want the bass not driving the whole action of the compressor.

but, in my opinion, i think it will always be better to talk about "full spectrum music with lots of bass" instead of "bass music", otherwise the music is too much divided between bass part and the rest.

For me if there is a lot of bass, i find the MU system much more appropriate to glue all things together naturally, like the human ear would do, i don't like so much the fact to separate things, like a MultiBand compressor would do.


So as Manley said themselves, this option is IF YOU WANT...
It doesn't mean that because you're mastering dance music YOU NEED TO have this option.


2/ you can also find this on the Manley website,

Rumors that the Variable Mu is somehow lacking in the lows may be traced
back to some outlandish web posters who originally said it to be
controversial, and it was! If one wants to get attention on the web, a
proven way is to squawk about the most respected stuff or challenge digital
theory. Its that or open heated discussions about politics or religion.


i tend to agree with that too...
a lot of people will talk about the "mushy" bass of the VARI MU like a tale which is already part of its own folklore...
I agree with everything you've said.
If you A/B the audio that passes through a VM, you will not hear any bass loss
or mushiness that so many claim. The VM is a class act, and will probably be one of the most sought after pieces of audio hardware if it ever stops being manufactured. Having said that, it certainly doesn't harm to have another compressor in your mastering arsenal. But the idea that it's unsuitable for bass heavy music, I find simply amusing. The concept that one requires a compressor to react at light speed for dance music or hip hop is also questionable. This is not always the case. Maybe sometimes, but it's definitely not the rule of thumb that some would have you believe.
Old 6th February 2007
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Ben F's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
a lot of people will talk about the "mushy" bass of the VARI MU like a tale which is already part of its own folklore...
I'd say more 'pillowey' than 'mushy'. Great compressor for rock, I leave it off for bass heavy music, even with the HPF installed.
Old 6th February 2007
  #53
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post
I can always get away with more gain reduction if I want with the STC. It sounds better, and you won't have to worry about replacing tubes. The vari-mu breaks up to hell past a db or two of gain reduction.
As far as the STC sounding better, that's really a matter of taste. I think the STC is great sounding unit, however different to the manley. It definitely does not have that
warmth and gluey sound of the VM.
As far as the VM breaking up after a db or two of gain reduction, well that's again, another piece of utterly false and misleading information. Even a fricken beringher unit
can cope with a copule of dbs of gr!! I think you need to adjust your gain structure somewhere matey.
And as for having to replace tubes.... that's just being lazy.
Old 6th February 2007
  #54
Lives for gear
 
blackcatdigi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundroid View Post
And as for having to replace tubes.... that's just being lazy.
The 6386 tubes (in the original VM) are getting pretty tough to find. Make that damn near impossible. Ask Eveanna or the fine gentleman at Pendulum (who've both had to deal with the short supply issue, and rather creatively to boot).

Back to STC8 ><VMU. These two units are SO very far apart in character, I'd be very hard pressed to offer any kind of recommendation, whatsoever. Love them both, but very different animals. And you may want to add the ES8 to the shortlist if you're considering a Mu type comp. Very nice box.
Old 6th February 2007
  #55
Lives for gear
 
robot gigante's Avatar
I wonder if there are good Vari-Mu units and bad ones because of the wide disparity of opinions on them.

What e-cue is saying has got me thinking a bit though and I think I can see where he's coming from. The sound can fold up if you are using a lot of gain reduction (to me 4 db is a lot when mastering), especially in limit mode. Since I never use that much gain reduction it isn't a problem that I really think about though, and another thing to consider is that you can hear it compressing before the meters start twitching so a couple db on the meters is probably really more than that. However, there is no question that you can do a lot more gain reduction with the STC-8 before you get the same hit with the sound.

And even if you disagree with what he is saying, trust me- I wouldn't question e-cue's engineering skills. He's done some badass work! (sorry, cue I know you don't need anyone to stick up for you!)

One bitch I have about the STC-8 is the meters- I wish Dave Hill would have used VU meters instead of those frigging LED's. I hate it when I can hear it compressing a lot but they're just sitting still. I guess it forces you to use your ears more but I am kind of used to that visual security blanket of watching the meters on a compressor bounce- especially because the STC-8 is so transparent sometimes it's a little scary. I do admit though that I need to use it more so as to get used to its quirks. It is an amazing piece of gear.
Old 7th February 2007
  #56
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
I wonder if there are good Vari-Mu units and bad ones because of the wide disparity of opinions on them.

And even if you disagree with what he is saying, trust me- I wouldn't question e-cue's engineering skills. He's done some badass work! (sorry, cue I know you don't need anyone to stick up for you!)
.
No disrespect meant. Apologies in advance.
I was just a little frazzled by the statement that it couldn't handle a couple of dbs.
Old 7th February 2007
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Masterer's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Krehm View Post
....or perhaps Sequoia will be deemed to be totally workable on the MAC Intels. I.....
It's workable. Don't use Paralells. Use Bootcamp.
Old 7th February 2007
  #58
Lives for gear
 
e-cue's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post
I would have to disagree. The Mu has a color and a sound to be sure, but the gain reduction is actually rather transparent. 4 dB of GR doesn't exhibit any "breaking up", though I can't imagine many mastering situations where you would need 4 dB of GR at the compressor.
OK, let say we agree to disagree about the sound degrogation of the Manley past 2 db, or maybe I should have used better words to describe what the Vari Mu™ sounds like to me.

Using your -4db GR model, which unit would you rather use in that situation for mastering: the stock STC-8 or the stock VM? I wouldn't bat an eyelash with the STC-8. I've done side by side comparisons several times and the thing that struck me the 1st time I a/b'd was how my kicks started to turn into flacid pillows with the VM. Not only does the STC cover this ground better, but it also happens to cover much more ground. The STC-8 has the Ki & Hara modes. It also compresses and limits at the same time, if that's your thing. It also has better metering and metering options.

Also, I assume you are talking about the stock vari-mu since you didn't mention which version you were talking about.
Old 7th February 2007
  #59
Lives for gear
 
Adam Dempsey's Avatar
 

Verified Member
For what it's worth...
I find the STC-8 more useful far more often for it's flexibility than the VM, with the mastering mod'd LTD-2s used more for tone with some optional grab for rock styles (love 'em).
Keen to try the 2500 in future as from all reports it seems it may sonically sit somewhere between all of these.
Old 7th February 2007
  #60
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post
OK, let say we agree to disagree about the sound degrogation of the Manley past 2 db, or maybe I should have used better words to describe what the Vari Mu™ sounds like to me.

Using your -4db GR model, which unit would you rather use in that situation for mastering: the stock STC-8 or the stock VM? I wouldn't bat an eyelash with the STC-8. I've done side by side comparisons several times and the thing that struck me the 1st time I a/b'd was how my kicks started to turn into flacid pillows with the VM. Not only does the STC cover this ground better, but it also happens to cover much more ground. The STC-8 has the Ki & Hara modes. It also compresses and limits at the same time, if that's your thing. It also has better metering and metering options.

Also, I assume you are talking about the stock vari-mu since you didn't mention which version you were talking about.
Using 4 dbs of GR, I do agree with you, the STC is a winner.
Having said that, I simply don't need my VM to do that sort of compression in mastering. I think it's magic works at 1/2 - 1 db gr. At that range, I prefer it to the STC. In all honesty, I can't even remember when I compressed a master 4 dBs with any of the compressors I have.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump