The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio lighting Consoles
Old 18th February 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by melopie View Post
Yeah JP_
Not sure if and how I should go on about integrating any windows at all. My current room have no natural light and I yearn for some...Must be age.
Anyone of you have any intimidate thoughts or experience how acoustical treatment panels work in-front of windows and letting some light through on top?
I love natural light....my new studio build up..
Attached Thumbnails
Studio lighting-12640316_10153356559103372_8547309479929936783_o.jpg  
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Thats from someone vwho knows his ****, for sure. Congratulation!
Old 18th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by protools View Post
I love natural light....my new studio build up..
Looks great! Northward room?
Old 18th February 2016

Verified Member
Quote:
Yeah JP_
Not sure if and how I should go on about integrating any windows at all. My current room have no natural light and I yearn for some...Must be age.
Anyone of you have any intimidate thoughts or experience how acoustical treatment panels work in-front of windows and letting some light through on top?
A window is like any other hard surface. If you plan the placement and geometry correctly, you preserve the RFZ. It's easy enough to frame some angled glass in front of a conventional or existing window, both for control and improved isolation. You can also use micro-perf panels as translucent absorbers in front of windows (or skylights), but they aren't cheap and not really convenient for DIY. Alternately, you can make translucent diffusors (glass, plexi etc.), or if not actual mathematical boxes, at least some simple scattering patterns with staggered glass block, or spaced glass blocks built into another irregular scattering surface. In the simplest case, you could even put an absorptive panel a couple inches in front of a window, the panel being slightly smaller window, allowing indirect natural light from behind as well as a modest amount of direct natural light from the exposed window edges.

In addition to a mastering career, I've got 10 years experience teaching college applied physics courses in acoustics, and more than that in design/consultation. I've got real-world experience with everything listed above. Consider dropping by the acoustics forum (the other place I help mod here at GS) and asking for some ideas. There are some very experienced and knowledgable contributors there.
Old 18th February 2016
Gear Addict

Thanks a lot for the great insight.
Old 19th February 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post
Looks great! Northward room?
Yes! .-)
Old 19th February 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
Thats from someone vwho knows his ****, for sure. Congratulation!
Thomas will appreciate! Thanks! .-)
Old 19th February 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the great insight.
Your welcome! A great job needs to be viewed! A lot of hard work inside!
Old 19th February 2016
Old 19th February 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Mastering View Post
Unity Mastering - Online Mastering

Or you simply do this... I have always been intrigued by the sheer simplicity of his studio layout. Beautiful nevertheless...
Looks very nice, yes. Clean, open, bright and freindly. But its nearly exactly the situation I had big problems with in the past, it wasnt the window it was the edges of the window oriel? that occurs the problems (especially when not 100% symmetric).
One should never judge a room by just viewing, but that setup must sound horrible: very unsymmetric with the stairs on the side, no threatment at all, slim but high room.
I prefer precise sound before good look when mastering at any day. Would be very nice if those kind of room is good enough for critical mastering (not sound design) and I would prefer it much over any other design, but I strongly doubt it.

This one is nice too as the big window is an integral part of the acoustic design:

Just having a random window in the room will not work.
Attached Thumbnails
Studio lighting-_dsc6928_20.jpg  
Old 19th February 2016
Quote:
Looks very nice, yes. Clean, open, bright and freindly. But its nearly exactly the situation I had big problems with in the past, it wasnt the window it was the edges of the window oriel? that occurs the problems (especially when not 100% symmetric).
One should never judge a room by just viewing, but that setup must sound horrible: very unsymmetric with the stairs on the side, no threatment at all, slim but high room.
I prefer precise sound before good look when mastering at any day. Would be very nice if those kind of room is good enough for critical mastering (not sound design) and I would prefer it much over any other design, but I strongly doubt it.

This one is nice too as the big window is an integral part of the acoustic design:

Just having a random window in the room will not work.
Hey man he is one of the best cutters here in London.. I seriously... seriously doubt it sounds anywhere near "horrible"....and that was exactly my point.
Old 19th February 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
People make great records in bad rooms and bad records in great rooms...

But for one with at least a bit of experience in building studio rooms there's simply no sign that make this room sound any good, sorry. I did not want to judge, I wanted to make clear that theres is often a great dismatch between nice looking and nice sounding.
I dont want to dismiss anyone here.
Old 19th February 2016
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
How large is your new room?
It's approximately 100 cubic meters (≈3500 cubic feet) with 1 : 1.56 : 1.90 dimensions.

3.2 meters high, 5 meters wide and 6.08 meters long.

It's a free standing room, which is great for the subs. There's roughly 1.5 meters of space all around the outside of the room before the hard surface of the building. More at the top, since there's about 7 meters to the top of the ceiling.

What you can't see in the picture is the 1.5 meters of space between the 2nd (outer pane) and the outside window - or you can if you look closely for the second reflection. Ample diffusion on the back wall takes care of any potential slap, though I did make the window fairly small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Holger, smart move (completed a similar move recently). Is the estate active?
Congrats!

We have about 20.000 sq meters (about 5 acres) of land, but it's mostly recreational.

We do have some fish in the lake, my wife is growing a lot of organic vegetables and I'll be getting chickens this summer.

I'll probably raise some rabbits for eating as well. It'll be good for my three sons to learn how to butcher small animals. ;-)

But mostly I'll be building my own Neverland Ranch... a small racing track, mini golf, etc. Moving to the country side rules.
Old 19th February 2016
Quote:
People make great records in bad rooms and bad records in great rooms...

But for one with at least a bit of experience in building studio rooms there's simply no sign that make this room sound any good, sorry. I did not want to judge, I wanted to make clear that theres is often a great dismatch between nice looking and nice sounding.
I dont want to dismiss anyone here.
Man, I think you missed the point entirely.
He was senior mastering engineer in one of the biggest studios in London.
That is HIS room. I seriously doubt he want to work in a s*it environment and judging from his credits, I am certain of it.
That is why I used the word "intrigued" and that is why I mentioned it in this thread...obviously in this case, appearances do fool the eyes... I am just not sure how.
Take it for what it is
Old 19th February 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Mastering View Post
Unity Mastering - Online Mastering

Or you simply do this... I have always been intrigued by the sheer simplicity of his studio layout. Beautiful nevertheless...
This is aesthetically pleasing but where is the treatment? I would wish for long sim windows as well in all honesty.
Old 19th February 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
It's approximately 100 cubic meters (≈3500 cubic feet) with 1 : 1.56 : 1.90 dimensions.
Is that similar to the old room?

Quote:
But mostly I'll be building my own Neverland Ranch... a small racing track, mini golf, etc.
Ambitious. I've settled with a jeu provençal court.

Quote:
Moving to the country side rules.
As a first generation city dweller, it's literally like coming home.
Old 19th February 2016
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Is that similar to the old room?
No, the old room was longer, but not as wide and tall as the new one. I could (within reason) pick and choose my own dimensions this time around.

You should be able to get an idea of the side building here and some other related pics (the blueprints don't show the window changes to the sidebuilding where the studio is)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=cb91b76c0b

Quote:
Ambitious. I've settled with a jeu provençal court.
Awesome, my kind of guy.

Before I hi-jack this thread any longer (sorry!) feel free to add me on Facebook, that goes for any one here - always nice to get to know the person behind the name.
Old 20th February 2016
Craneslut

Verified Member
Big fan of the Philips Hue system - had them here in the studio for the last few years.
Old 10th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
thanks!

Side question: plants that can live in no natural light studios?
Snake plants, also known as "Mother-In-Law's Tongue." Can live through just about anything. There are others, but if you want the most hardy, them's the plants.
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Interesting this gets bumped. On the verge of building a new room here, and have a possibility of including natural light. I think Andreas/Lupo might be getting an email from me soon...
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood View Post
Big fan of the Philips Hue system - had them here in the studio for the last few years.
Same here. I had been meaning to hire an electrician and install something elaborate but decided to try the Hue system and it's great.

Instead of having to turn on all 3 of my main lamps separately which I was often too busy/lazy to do I can now just turn them all on with the touch of one physical button as well as talking to Siri via my watch or phone.
Old 1 week ago
Pno
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood View Post
Hi Brad, have you had any experience with noise from these at all?

...some to be a few reports of noise on the net...

I was looking into a Variac for current lights; but this looks cheaper/more fun.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Interesting this gets bumped. On the verge of building a new room here, and have a possibility of including natural light. I think Andreas/Lupo might be getting an email from me soon...
We have switched to all LED lighting that can be dimmed with an autoformer. It blends very well with the outside light we have in the studio. This is our studio with the LED lights (4000K)
Attached Thumbnails
Studio lighting-studio-pic-3-copy.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Pno
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
We have switched to all LED lighting that can be dimmed with an autoformer. It blends very well with the outside light we have in the studio. This is our studio with the LED lights (4000K)
So dimmed with a variac? Do you notice any flicker when dimmed...even if you don't notice it, it can add to headaches/migranes/stress levels...try slo-mo or other 120/240fps video to see if it's there...many non-dimmable LEDs flicker even when just on straight AC...
Old 1 week ago
Pno
Gear Nut
Not sure about the Hue system after doing some research...appears to be problems with noise and subtle flicker...might just go variac with the current halogens...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pno View Post
So dimmed with a variac? Do you notice any flicker when dimmed...even if you don't notice it, it can add to headaches/migranes/stress levels...try slo-mo or other 120/240fps video to see if it's there...many non-dimmable LEDs flicker even when just on straight AC...
Thanks! The LED bulbs I use are from these people, Hyperikon (see Hyperikon PAR20 LED Dimmable Bulb 8W (50W Equivalent), Spot Light Bulb, 4000K (Daylight Glow), Medium Base (E26), CRI90+, UL and Energy Star - Perfect for Kitchen, Outdoor, Spotlight (6 Pack) - - Amazon.com) and have no flicker. Thanks again for your concern.

ps. Hyperikon has GREAT customer service and a 5 year unconditional guarantee which I used when on of my LED bulbs went wacko. I had a replacement in two days. A bit more expensive but IMHO worth it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pno View Post
LEDs need to be fed from a special constant current source or they will "flicker" A simple circuit is shown here Power LED's - Simplest Light With Constant-current Circuit: 9 Steps (with Pictures) The lamps I am using on 110 VAC have this built in.
Old 1 week ago
Pno
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
LEDs need to be fed from a special constant current source or they will "flicker" A simple circuit is shown here Power LED's - Simplest Light With Constant-current Circuit: 9 Steps (with Pictures) The lamps I am using on 110 VAC have this built in.
Yes, it depends on the quality of the LEDs PSU/transformer. I've yet to see dimmable LEDs without some flicker, though of course it's possible. Perhaps those Hyperikon are flicker free; did you try the high fps test? Europe here; 120V only so I won't be able to try them myself (well I suppose I could with a Variac actually). What kind of Variac are you using BTW?

There's a good article here about flicker if you're interested: David Satz - Gaffer, Lighting Designer - About flicker problems

I like the silicon blob. Must use that next time I'm fixing a headphone cable.

What loudspeakers are you using there btw, look nice.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search