The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who's Using Reaper? Workflow?
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

I used Ableton to record and mix the track I just finished as an experiment. While I was able to get it finished to where I liked it, I'd have to say I won't be doing it again.

When it comes to recording, editing and mixing I'll be moving back to Reaper. Ableton shines at what it does as a music production and live performance tool. But when it comes to recording, editing and mixing Reaper is all that and a bag of chips.

I used Pro Tools years ago and was looking at another investment into Pro Tools, but I just can't justify the cost. The subscription model kills it for me.

ETA:

Realized I posted this in the wrong section.

Last edited by Doc Vigilanti; 2 days ago at 02:13 AM.. Reason: Didn't realize this was the mastering section.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac
When working on a project with multiple songs then has anyone got any nifty workflows/macros for viewing and navigating to just the track you are working on? Hiding tracks, zooming and storing track views seems to be a bit cumbersome. Track views seems to be a good way to store a snapshot but only has 10 slots.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrodaddy View Post
When working on a project with multiple songs then has anyone got any nifty workflows/macros for viewing and navigating to just the track you are working on? Hiding tracks, zooming and storing track views seems to be a bit cumbersome. Track views seems to be a good way to store a snapshot but only has 10 slots.
My method sounds complicated (I can't remember all the exact steps) but it's not, really. Just time consuming to set up.

I have three main tracks when I'm working (there are some others for auditioning the rest of the album etc, but they aren't relavent to this): PITCHED, CAPTURE and MASTERED. PITCHED is the audio before the analogue chain, CAPTURE is post analogue chain, monitored in real time through any limiting plugins etc, and MASTERED is where the CAPTURE audio goes after I'm finished with it.

I have a cycle action that sets up a track as "the track I'm working on". Among other things, this appends the text "PITCHED___" to the start of the track name. ReaConsole then selects this track, along with a couple of others (MASTERED and CAPTURE in my case, but it could be anything), and creates a track view snapshot from them. I can then use a key (F! For me) to toggle between the "just what I'm working on" and "everything" snapshots. I've missed some steps there, and not explained very well, but hopefully you get the gist.

I'm no programmer, so there's probably a much more simple and/or elegant way to do it, but it works for me. When I've captured the audio through the analogue chain, I have a second cycle action that removes the "PITCHED___" text, moves the audio from the CAPTURE to the MASTERED track, and copies all track plugins (limiters etc) from the CAPTURE track to the audio item. I can then select a new piece of audio to work on.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

That actually sounds like a really clever way to work.. never thought about copying the FX to the actual item. That's very handy and good way to keep everything sorted. The only problem is that sometimes I do FX processing on specific parts of the item to fix esses or clicks/pops/nasty transients if they are only in a few spots.. but then again, all of this usually happens before it hits the outboard (I can't stand additional harmonic distortion on esses for instance! Hence the pre-processing of these).

I usually have one Reaper project per song and then just keep all the song tabs open so that I can check the sequence and compare the album overall sound.

.. but I suspect your method is actually way better. I'll have to experiment!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

ITEM FX is a great reason for using REAPER for the initial processing, but it does get a little messy if you want to tweak only certain sections with additional item FX.

I will actually feature request that over on the REAPER forum and see if it gains any traction.

It would be nice to designate certain plugins so that if you split an item into multiple items eventually tweaking a designated plugin on one of the items mirrors that change on all the other items.

The reason I prefer item FX to track FX is that it's much less CPU intense to use item FX and overall more stable system.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Hit "s" to chose which parts get the item fx and bypass the item fx on the split items. You could probably create an action for this right now
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Or just automate the wet/dry. Has worked perfectly in every case I've tried it, including some where I really didn't think it should work at all.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
That sounds like an excellent way to work.

I think Reaper is an incredibly clever piece of software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post
My method sounds complicated (I can't remember all the exact steps) but it's not, really. Just time consuming to set up.

I have three main tracks when I'm working (there are some others for auditioning the rest of the album etc, but they aren't relavent to this): PITCHED, CAPTURE and MASTERED. PITCHED is the audio before the analogue chain, CAPTURE is post analogue chain, monitored in real time through any limiting plugins etc, and MASTERED is where the CAPTURE audio goes after I'm finished with it.

I have a cycle action that sets up a track as "the track I'm working on". Among other things, this appends the text "PITCHED___" to the start of the track name. ReaConsole then selects this track, along with a couple of others (MASTERED and CAPTURE in my case, but it could be anything), and creates a track view snapshot from them. I can then use a key (F! For me) to toggle between the "just what I'm working on" and "everything" snapshots. I've missed some steps there, and not explained very well, but hopefully you get the gist.

I'm no programmer, so there's probably a much more simple and/or elegant way to do it, but it works for me. When I've captured the audio through the analogue chain, I have a second cycle action that removes the "PITCHED___" text, moves the audio from the CAPTURE to the MASTERED track, and copies all track plugins (limiters etc) from the CAPTURE track to the audio item. I can then select a new piece of audio to work on.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
That actually sounds like a really clever way to work.. never thought about copying the FX to the actual item. That's very handy and good way to keep everything sorted. The only problem is that sometimes I do FX processing on specific parts of the item to fix esses or clicks/pops/nasty transients if they are only in a few spots.. but then again, all of this usually happens before it hits the outboard (I can't stand additional harmonic distortion on esses for instance! Hence the pre-processing of these).

I usually have one Reaper project per song and then just keep all the song tabs open so that I can check the sequence and compare the album overall sound.

.. but I suspect your method is actually way better. I'll have to experiment!
Glad I've given you some good ideas!

Another thing I have set up is a way to quickly audition the track I'm working on against the rest of the album. I have a long cycle action set up that I call "ALBUM AUDITION MODE". It basically opens the current project in a new tab, solos the MASTERED channel, changes its routing and loops and plays all the already mastered tracks.

I can then press a hotkey (I use "1" - it's a huge part of my workflow) to solo the loop of the album so far, and thus compare the track I'm currently working on to a random portion of the rest of the album.

Again, I hope that makes sense! I am not great at explaining these things, and a lot of these cycle actions have dozens of actions each, refined over time, so I can't remember each one.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Is that action available on the stash? Sounds incredible!
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Is that action available on the stash? Sounds incredible!
It's too idiosyncratic and specific to my setup to share, really, but you can make your own version quite easily with some thought and a little trial and error.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search