The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Brainworx Digital V3, thoughts? Equalizer Plugins
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

Brainworx Digital V3, thoughts?

Old 3rd February 2016
Gear Addict

Yes it's my main eq on the bus and it has some really cool features
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

I think bx Digital is a great sounding EQ with great features (I have V2). The problem I have is that with Pro-Q and EQuilibrium, I just don't need it!

Now if they ever got around to making the hardware version, that would be something truly amazing.

Last edited by SmoothTone; 3rd February 2016 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 4th February 2016
I just tested version 3 after watching some tutorial videos to get a better grasp of it. I found it to be a very powerful plug in. However since I master music recorded in my studio I don't need a lot of the bells on it. The Bass mono knob is nice as well as the solo button to get the right freq.
The EQ I found slightly harsh to my ears. Not sure if it's because I boosted the wrong freq.'s The BAX EQ plug in as a much smoother more pleasant sound. Even the BX Channel strip EQ sounds more pleasant.

After I give my ears a rest I will try it again
Old 6th February 2016
Gear Addict

I just tried it out and think it is really nice.
So I've loaded it up into our Equalizer shoot out player if anyone is interested* to do some real time comparisons as to how it stacks up to their ears on a range of different stuff.
[*or if they don't have time / have better hobbies than to do their own shoot out comparisons ]

Last edited by Channel time; 16th February 2016 at 07:55 PM..
Old 6th February 2016
Lives for gear
Thought between this versus Fab Filter Pro EQ2? I plan on demo'ing both for my next mastering project. Just curious what you all think.
Old 16th February 2016
Here for the gear
It's also my main EQ on the bus and I like the stripped (mix) version as well. But I wouldn't compare it to FabFilter Pro-Q 2 or DMG EQuilibrium in the first place. The workflow is a little different because you focus on mono and stereo sections separately and with much more ease.

The fact that everything is visible, graphs, all knobs, switches makes it really very usable. At the beginning it may look overwhelming, but after a while you get used to it and start appreciate how it's laid out. Everything you need is on one screen, no on-hover menus, sliding windows, hidden controls.

Some features known from the best EQs on the market like spectrum analysis, spectrograph, choosing vintage analog slopes or super steep filters are not here. Its main purpose isn't a surgical EQing, but carefully adjust the sound.

Among many new features in this EQ, there are hidden gems like configuring Auto Listen. It's absolutely fantastic, because for preview of your changes, you can turn on or off three different EQ functions - Q factor, frequency and gain. And this makes a difference comparing to other EQs on the market when you can just solo a band or not. In PRO Q2 you can use your mouse to do very similar thing, but not to this extent.

So it's more a mastering tool, with very nice Q-bands (similar to API), great control of mono/stereo sections and some additional features like dynamic eq or shift modules for instant effects in low or high frequencies.

Definitely worth to try.
Old 25th December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
I just tested version 3 after watching some tutorial videos to get a better grasp of it. I found it to be a very powerful plug in. However since I master music recorded in my studio I don't need a lot of the bells on it. The Bass mono knob is nice as well as the solo button to get the right freq.
The EQ I found slightly harsh to my ears. Not sure if it's because I boosted the wrong freq.'s The BAX EQ plug in as a much smoother more pleasant sound. Even the BX Channel strip EQ sounds more pleasant.

After I give my ears a rest I will try it again
Hi, sorry what is "The Bass mono knob" ? (can't found this in v3) Perhaps meant Mono maker knob ?
Old 3rd March 2017
I bought this plugin in December and was looking for some threads on it, but strangely could not find very many. In order to familiarise myself with it I have used it as my goto plugin for transparent track and buss EQing in place of Logic's Channel EQ, Metric Halo Channelstrip 3 and TDR Nova. A bit unusual not to have a spectrum analyser to call on, but it seems I am learning how the various frequencies sound, faster than before - maybe because there is no visual distraction? (I have turned off the transfer graph in the plugin.) Been a passionate hobbyist for many years, but the past couple of months I seem to have "levelled up" in terms of being able to pinpoint frequencies.

Pros:
+Very clean
+Functionally, the GUI is great. For instance, it is easy to dial in precise parameter values when holding down the Shift key - perfectly calibrated, unlike many other plugins which have too small or too large increments when fine-tuning
+Mix and buss versions; good to have the "light" one for its simpler interface and reduced CPU usage
+Auto-solo is very cool and seems to help keep one's ears sharp compared to the usual "sweep a narrow +10 dB boost" approach (although I use both techniques - btw, check Ken Lewis' super cool demo of the plugin to see how he uses it very effectively without auto-solo, plus some nice M/S tricks)
+Top end extends to 40k which allows for some nice "air" if you want it
+Just the right number of bands (have yet to run out)
+The Dynamic EQ band is nice to have there at the ready
+The M/S functions in the big plugin are awesome both in terms of sound and GUI...linking, soloing, mono-maker, stereo widener etc.!
+Both versions of the plugin seem to be fairly CPU light (I am on a 2011 MBP i7 and run them on almost every track in my projects, it's things like bx_opto and Klanghelm DC8C2 or MJUC that kill my computer)
+Nice to have those Bass Shift and Presence Shift knobs, I need to experiment more with those as it could be more efficient than fiddling with several bands to achieve the same effect in some cases

Cons:
-No analyser (ironically, I would like to have one I could switch on - mainly because I can't hear what's going on below 40 Hz)
-HPF not very steep, it's either 6 or 12 dB/oct - I make bassy music and like to have sharper low-cut filters available when sculpting my kicks and basses
-Pricey - get it on sale
-Dynamic EQ is quite simplistic, far from the flexibility of TDR Nova or bx_dynEQv2 (but sometimes, simple can be just what you need!)
-The GUI is not exactly inspirational. It has grown on me, but looks kind of boring when the plugin really isn't. Also, that transfer curve is just ugly. I have a love/hate relationship with the appearance of this plugin because it definitely does not exude vibe and inspiration, but I guess that is also a strength because you don't get the "super fantastic modelled hardware" placebo effect. With this plugin, at least you know when it is active and when it is bypassed.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search