The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tricks for softening treble region/transients
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

Tricks for softening treble region/transients

Hey fellas. In my hobby time tonight I have to do a quick master and I'd like any feedback on techniques for sweetening the treble region.
Things that have worked for me in the past include linear phase eq's, sometimes set to negative phase, as can be done in equilibrium and ddmf to name a couple.
Also I do have spitfish on a legacy system. I've never tried applying that across a mix but I certainly will tonight.
I have Phoenix 2. As much as I love it, it's not fitting this mix.
Are there other tricks that you have? Other plugs I'm missing out on? Thank you
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumerei1838 View Post
Other plugs I'm missing out on?
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...efinement.html
Old 3rd February 2016
Tdr Nova, ozone dyneq, oxford supresser, fabfilter pro-mb, waves c6.....
Many weapons for this task
Old 3rd February 2016
And a simple trick with a standard eq: find the harsh treble freq and tam it with a parametric band and Q from 3 to 9 (as it works best for the particular sound) then compensate the loss of brightness with a high shelf with a Q as large as possible if available on your eq.

This works great with eqs like DMGs, pro-q, ozone, logic proX chanel eq.
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

I've found there's 101 ways to skin that cat. What ends up being most transparent/best suited to the mix can vary greatly. A few ITB tricks I've used:

The HF limiter in Limiter No.6 can be nice for softening sharp transients.

Using the HF band of Pro-MB in parallel to reduce one harsh element and bring up lower level elements at the same time.

Similar to above, but parallel downward expansion to clear crowding or harsh cymbal tails.

The LPFs in the Sonimus plugs are very gentle and can sound nice. Otherwise a bax curve can be good for some gentle shaping.

Sometimes the best thing is a big broad low shelf to gently lift the rest of the spectrum.

DMG Essence is probably worth a look as a swiss army knife for HF problems (and much more).

Hope that helps,

Dom
Old 4th February 2016
Great post. I think I know exactly what the OP is talking about, sometimes you just want to soften or almost "dry up" the top of a mix without really making it darker per se. I do like essence quite a bit for this, it can be incredibly fast while still sounding good. I.e. an abrasive hi hat in an EDM or Trap track can by knocked down a few pegs without much of an obvious change to the vocal.
Old 4th February 2016
There's a new product out, I just downloaded but haven't tried it yet. Looks like it could be useful if does what it's supposed to. Legendary Audio

Note: Started demoing the plugin. I did a bit of a shootout between a sonnox eq, hofa iq-eq, and ice to clear up some upper mid nasties on a rock record. ICE seemed to soften the edginess in a pleasing way where as the iq-eq was a bit blurrier. Up against the eq it was a mixed bag. The eq was better at taming an extremely narrow resonant frequency in the target area, but ice was better clearing up the overall tone.

Last edited by engmix; 4th February 2016 at 08:16 AM..
Old 4th February 2016
∆ Looks interesting indeed, gotta try it soon too.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 4th February 2016

Adding my 0.02

As mentioned, TDR Nova is great, as is Limiter No. 6's HF limiter section.

Flux Alchemist is an expensive but great multiband (now we can "rent" it with their subscription model!) - really excels at this job especially on the Solera feeback mode.

Toneboosters reelbus is great for a smooth high end on certain modes.
Old 5th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
Using the HF band of Pro-MB in parallel to reduce one harsh element and bring up lower level elements at the same time.

Dom
Man that is bloody brilliant. (This website is English no?)
Parallel!
A lot of great ideas here.
TDR nova has the mix knob too for parallel.
The first post recommended bx refinement. So I googled it and found it had a fixed 3.3khz freq. I tinkered around and totally agree with that choice.
Then in dmg equilibrium I did
3.3khz, q 2.06, gain/q interaction 94%, -1.97db, Kaiser, window parameter 0.58, fir free phase and dragged that little circle in the phase graph to about -25 degrees phase. I'd love to know if anyone likes that smootherizer 'preset'
Old 5th February 2016
Lives for gear

Cuttertone by SKNote does exactly this brilliantly.

Additionally SKNote SDC has an "old" mode that rolls treble off brilliantly. (This can be done without engaging any compression) and the discreet section's choice of nickel/steel/iron can change the balance in a very pleasant way.

TDR also makes slickeq and this one is dead simple: set the high band to 40Khz, drop eq to -12db. Roll eq back towards 16khz until it's too much cut (just before its too much...) then back of the cut DB until you have your sparkle (but not hash) back. Prob something like -4db when done... Track dependant, of course...

^^^I recently did a 12 track LP for some friends that used mp3s as samples in a boom-bap hip hop instrumentals. These techniques were used on nearly every song.

Additionally (less often) RX was used.

My main tip: don't be afraid to find something with a high quality shelf/air-band (Maag for instance) and push it into your HF cut.
Old 13th February 2016
Here for the gear

Legendary Audio/Sonic Studio I.C.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post
There's a new product out, I just downloaded but haven't tried it yet. Looks like it could be useful if does what it's supposed to. Legendary Audio

Note: Started demoing the plugin. I did a bit of a shootout between a sonnox eq, hofa iq-eq, and ice to clear up some upper mid nasties on a rock record. ICE seemed to soften the edginess in a pleasing way where as the iq-eq was a bit blurrier. Up against the eq it was a mixed bag. The eq was better at taming an extremely narrow resonant frequency in the target area, but ice was better clearing up the overall tone.
Hey, Thanks for the review. Try the Steep setting on the Slope for extremely precise taming of the target. After more time to learn of its capabilities, you'll find a multitude of uses to improve the recorded sound. It does compression and "EQ" - like events in a new (improved) way. Unlike standard processing, I.C.E. reduces distortion as it "cuts" sound, and adds Super-clean Boost to any frequency band you choose. The compression effect is frequency band specific and dynamically controlled. A tutorial video is being finalized and will be available soon. Tip= You can use more than one instance of I.C.E. to multiply its power and/or address different issues. Billy Stull=Legendary Audio

Last edited by Billy Stull; 13th February 2016 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: missing information
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post

How has I.C.E. worked out for you over time? Do you still use it? Thx,
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search