The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Going vinyl: what if my song is special because of the stereo bass?
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Head

Going vinyl: what if my song is special because of the stereo bass?

Hi,

I was just wondering..take for example this tune:

John Acquaviva Pres.First Stroke, from Swen Weber (sorry i dont have a sample, you can listen to it at Beatport, though)

Ok, this song has a wide stereo panning effect on the bass, very audible and the bass line is the main element.

So we have to mono under 500Hz when mastering for vinyl but then...what? My bass is not cool anymore and i loose the tracks punch?

What happens if you dont mono the bass when mastering for vinyl?

Just trying to understand...thanks!
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

what about the millions of people that will only be able to hear your special bass with a single subwoofer?
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Head

I thought subwoofers would deal only with sub frecuenies...not up to 500Hz...
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddu View Post
Hi,

What happens if you dont mono the bass when mastering for vinyl?
The needle will skip out of the groove.....stike
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Head

Mmm..ok.

So i cant lower the mono freq under 500?

Making everything mono under 300 would still let some stereo part of the bass pass thru.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

ive released vinyl with chorsued bass that was lower than 500, probably closer to 100 with the rest being mono below. def give a call to a good vinyl cutter and they'll tell you exactly what the deal is.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Funny thing is I find the bass to have a lot more punch off of vinyl than off of CD.
vinyl sounds better
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It would be best to leave it as is and let the cutter do any adjustments. There is no way to be sure about what needs to be done until you do a test cut and look/listen.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Nut

which means select a vinyl mastering engineer and send 'em the song before its into the "we need it cut this week" phase. That way if, for some reason, more dialog is required there is time for it.

Erik

PS: Load up a Burial Mix 10" (Basic Channel) into your DAW, from vinyl, and check it in a phase scope. IMO a decent example of dance music with moderate bass phaseing and a high transfer level. (ie. vinyl friendly.....)

(not much hf on these releases helps make the high-level transfer easier, but still the bass is the focus here...)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search