The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DMG Limitless
Old 3rd July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bauer View Post
I have also been hoping for an update for a while. Back in March I wrote to Dave to let him know that Limitless can cause WavLab Pro 9 for Mac to crash when used in the Master Section.
Prone to crash using VST3 version as clip effect on WaveLab 9 Pro(PC) as well. Hopefully, it will be addressed on the next update.
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

I have been demoing the Limitless and really like it but I am find that it can smear and squash the transients specifically the snare. Can any body recommend which setup will give me maximum transparency and transient integrity.

I find the IK stealth preserves my transients better so far.

thanks vm
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd17 View Post
I have been demoing the Limitless and really like it but I am find that it can smear and squash the transients specifically the snare. Can any body recommend which setup will give me maximum transparency and transient integrity.

thanks vm

As a starting point, try

Lookahead = 0.21ms
Dynamics = 45%

Not snappy enough? Then try

Reducing lookahead
Reducing dynamics control
To a lesser extent, increasing transient separation in setup (can feel snappier)
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd17 View Post

thanks vm
I experienced the same with some kind of mixes and, in those very rare cases, I just switch to another limiter. AOM, while definitely sounding not that high quality, can help here due to its distortion behaviour. But Limitless' lack of obvious distortion (clipper off) its a clear improvement with most music over most other limiters I know.
Old 5th July 2017
Motown legend

Verified Member
Reducing the number of bands can solve the smearing problem. This thing is really deep.
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

Thats right....number of bands, lookahead, stereo link, dynamics, release...these are all things that can open up the transients. Dynamics is a good parameter to adjust for this but watch the ceiling if you are going for super hot. Definitely the least crunch from this limiter compared to others I use, and I spend a good portion time adjusting parameters when I use it, as Bob said, it is deep. And start with two bands. I rarely use more than two bands. Generally said, using more jacks with the sound too much. I also find the clipper generally sounds like oversampling buttons on other plugins, cool but a little smeary. If I check it out and rock with it for a bit, later on I'll take it off and then it usually stays off....don't use it very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Reducing the number of bands can solve the smearing problem. This thing is really deep.
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

Can anyone describe the Transient Separation control in Settings to me? Is it similar to that in Pro-L? I don't think the manual has been updated to include info about it.

I'm testing it now - bounced 3 files: Transient Separation OFF (as per normal), ON (100%), ON (200%).

Visually, the waveforms looked identical - but upon critical listening with headphones there is a very subtle difference, mostly in the sense of stereo width. Things like snare snaps and even their reverb tails seem wider and more open. We are talking hair-splitting difference here but it's there... and I think I like it on!
Old 8th July 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
The separation controls determine the degree of independence of the bands. Before the transient separation control arrived, the two limiters had the same amount of band independence.

Now, the main/front panel separation control is the dynamic (slow) limiter, the transient separation in the advanced menu * is the err, transient one. Point being, lower separations do less 're-eqing'. So you can set the transient separation higher to very quickly re-eq transients, but leave the dynamic one lower so you aren't re-eqing the body of the track.

Go into the settings and set the GUI to show 'Full' instead of 'Dynamic' gain reduction (I forget the exact name of the option but it's in there). Set main sep to 0 and trans sep to 200, do some gain reduction, then play with the dynamics knob from 0 to 100 and back again (ie, transient limiter <> dynamic limiter). You'll soon get the idea.

* STICK IT ON THE FRONT DAVE FFS
Old 8th July 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
P. S. The general feeling of "more transient separation = greater stereo width" is, IMO/IME due to the fact it generally tends to reduce low mids/upper bass rather more which often tends to open up a mix. Useful - FWIW I use it a tool its own right for helping with overcompressed/overglued mixes. But on a good mix it can ruin it.

Obviously all the above depends on about 18 bazillion things, but there you go.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

I've been mastering some of my own music with Limitless at the end of the chain, and I have the ceiling set to -1.0 dB because this is going to soundcloud and they recommend a 16 bit updload with 0.5 - 1.0dB of headroom for optimal conversion on their end. However when I check my 16-bit master file in Izotope RX or Youlean loudness analysis they list max peak at -0.1 dB. I'm confused because I thought the ceiling parameter would be where the output file has hard limits on the peaks. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Also another question for power users of DMG's products for mastering. I want to experiment with using Multiplicity followed by Limitless as the final limiting. I assume it would be best to set Limitless in broadband mode for this application, since Multiplicity is already handling multi-band?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I am not sure about that meter, but some peak meters are showing you True Peak Max, which is an estimation of what may happen after the wav file is encoded to MP3 aac etc. TC Electronic Clarity M also shows you a True Peak Max which is a estimation of what a codec would draw after conversion. Maybe it is that? A channel fader in Pro tools on the other hand will show you normal peak, not assumed post conversion peak. It varies by manufacturer, but I believe it has to do with the number of continuous samples at the same maximum amplitude and what will happen when that gets converted by a codec. I am not a expert on meters, but that is one thing I have been noticing.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazRemark View Post
I've been mastering some of my own music with Limitless at the end of the chain, and I have the ceiling set to -1.0 dB because this is going to soundcloud and they recommend a 16 bit updload with 0.5 - 1.0dB of headroom for optimal conversion on their end. However when I check my 16-bit master file in Izotope RX or Youlean loudness analysis they list max peak at -0.1 dB. I'm confused because I thought the ceiling parameter would be where the output file has hard limits on the peaks. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?
You're not doing anything wrong. Most likely you just don't have the ISP limiter engaged. Click that and also go into settings and make sure "use itu filter" is on.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

I have not been using the ISP limiter after reading some opinions that it didn't sound as good with it engaged. Will play with it.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

And yes, the Youlean meter does indeed show True Peak Max. Wasn't aware this was an estimation.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazRemark View Post
Also another question for power users of DMG's products for mastering. I want to experiment with using Multiplicity followed by Limitless as the final limiting. I assume it would be best to set Limitless in broadband mode for this application, since Multiplicity is already handling multi-band?
Rarely use Limitless here anymore but when I did (heavily) it was always in single band mode, it sounds better that way IMO.

That said I am FIR/Linear Phase averse so multiplicity didn't make the cut here either. I am in the minority so take my advice in that context.
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear

Still waiting for "TrackClip" Free for Limitless owners ofcourse.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search