The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Peak Pro question?
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Peak Pro question?

Hi

I'm used to work with Waveburner, but wanted to check out Peak Pro for simple mastering jobs, so I got the demo and messed around wit it a little bit..

But there a few thing that I don't understand and I couldn't find a solution to it in the manual.
I'm not permitted to post on there site, so I was hoping that someone on here would be so kind to explain it to me.

Here it goes:

1. When you do a fade in the edit window the fade kind of bounces directly into the file, but I can't see the fade (like you can in Pro tools or Waveburner) So how can I go back later and delete or change the fade, if thats what I need
to do?

2. In the Playlist there dosen't seem to be a curser, so I can't start from the middle of a song and hear that ,without going from the beguinning of the song and the use the fast forward bottoms, that's strange.
Is there really not a cursor in Playlist and does that mean that I can't make in and out fades in the Playlist?

3. Is it not possible to import 10 songs directly into Playlist, without first having to make a new region and write a new name to the track (the region just called my song "region 1" and not the title of the track I've imported)??

Besides that it kooks like a very cool program, so hopefully it's just me who is green to the program...

Sorry for the bad grammar and thank you so much for your help!

All the best.
Peter
Old 27th January 2007
Here for the gear

Hey,

I'm assuming you're using the demo of Peak Pro 5, so I'll try to answer some of these questions in reference to that.

1. I agree about the weak fade interface. I've never used waveburner, but I'm going to guess that it shows the fade line prior to converting the file. You can change the fade envelopes through the preferences menu. Just go into that and click on the fade in or out envelope buttons to edit the fades. Sadly, you can't just do that at the same time you're looking at the file, like in a program like Wavelab

2. In the playlist, click on the timeline underneath the waveform image. If you click anywhere on there, it will immediately start playing at that point.

3. I'm not sure if there is a way to import files without naming the regions. I've never found a way, but you can re-title the region by double clicking on the yellow marker after setting the region. That might be a way to ease the confusion.

Let me know if this helps or not!
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hi! Thanks a bunch for taking time to answer my silly questions!

Here we go again:

"I agree about the weak fade interface. I've never used waveburner, but I'm going to guess that it shows the fade line prior to converting the file."

Exactly... heh

"You can change the fade envelopes through the preferences menu. Just go into that and click on the fade in or out envelope buttons to edit the fades."

Yes, I'm aware of the fade envelopes in the preferences menu, but it is not possible to go back later and change or delete the fades, afterwards? (I hope you know what I mean?)

"In the playlist, click on the timeline underneath the waveform image. If you click anywhere on there, it will immediately start playing at that point."

Nice thanks, that helps a lot! Do you know if it's possible also to mark a selection in the audio file, so I make in and out fades directly i Playlist (I can see I have access to the fade parameters), but I need some kind of curser to mark were the fade should go in or out?

"I'm not sure if there is a way to import files without naming the regions. I've never found a way, but you can re-title the region by double clicking on the yellow marker after setting the region. That might be a way to ease the confusion."

Okay? What I think is a little annoying, is that I have to rename the tracks when I make a new region. E.g: When I have made a test mix of 10 songs, I wanna give a quick master and send to the band. I have to rename all the tracks again and one by one import the songs into Playlist. I mean: when I bounce a track in Pro Tools, I have already named the track and when I'm working on in Peaks edit window, I can see it's called that same tiltle I gave it in pro tools. It soulden't be nesseary to name it again??

I guess this is a good thing when one is making lots loops and stuff, but a little time consuming i my case.

Perhaps Peak is not the right solution for me when it comes to do mastering edits, but I haven't heard of any alternatives to Peak or Waveburner for Mac computeres. I wonder what program other people with Mac OS X are working in?

Thanks a lot!!

/Peter
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

dsp quatro
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydo View Post
dsp quatro

The dsp quatro did look interesting, but it seems to have the same problem as Peak: You can't go back and change or delete fades ounce you have printed them (or so it seems)

Strange... I must be the only one on the planet who has the need for doing that, since no one had made that simple option to they're software (besides Waveburner)

I know I could just go ahead and buy the Waveburner software.But is p..... me off that I have buy the full Logic 7 pack, when I have absolutely no need for Logic at all!

Before Apple bought Emagic, it was possible to get Waveburner as standalone software!! F...... #€&%"*##!!!!
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I've used WBP (while it was OS 9), as you note Peak is, well, a bit different.

Have you tried PMCD? Very nice IMHO. And you don't have to buy Logic to get it .

Cheers,
Thor

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search