The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alan Smart Compressors
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

All my masters have gone throught RMS 755. That thing is THE BALLS. I don't care about dual mono, I care about sound. And that box has it. Great for rock mixing and mastering.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Guru

well when i rode it was a dirt bike guy, never road, they are too many crazy people on the road today to ride any bike, i will take my chance in the woods fighting trees.
i guess im getting off the mastering subject here....lol
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post
The Smart didn't excite me. It wasn't bad, but I didn't get the urge to write a check. Have you tried an API 2500 yet?
I haven't tried the API yet.... It's intriguing to me.

I already have that API sound in an EQ and I have this "thing" about doubling up flavours.

So it's either an SSL style or Elysia for me. I'm gonna demo one in March-April, I think.
God, i hope I hate it.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by phild View Post
I haven't tried the API yet.... It's intriguing to me.

I already have that API sound in an EQ and I have this "thing" about doubling up flavours.
As someone who owns both the 2500 and the 5500, I apply the 2500 for reasons quite different than the reasons I use the 5500. The 2500's "color" is fairly muteable depending on the settings used and is certainly different to my ear than just having a 550 in line, and I think they both can work well together for some material also.

Anyway - it has a number of things you seem to be requesting - it is 1RU, it can operate optionally as dual mono (although I should note that L & R controls for t/ra/a/re/o can not be set differently as a single set of controls sets both channels), it can act aggressively if you wish (but also can work a lot more subtly if you want this) , it can provide in it's "vibe" that's is different from your other current compressors, and it's build and sound quality is exemplary.

You may love the API 2500, or you may hate it - but to write off evaluating it simply because you have a 550m seems a little silly to me.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search