The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Compression on a send (parallel compression)
Old 25th January 2007

Compression on a send (parallel compression)

The never ending task of learning and applying continues and I am trying to get my head around this technique if that what it is. Normally I have been using compression as an insert on the particular tracks often a stem. IN other words I have my tracks separated so if I am compressing my kick track that's all I am worried about I dont need the multiband for the most part. I havent mastered the compressor yet so i find the multicompressor a bit more challenging. In any event I was going through some of the threads on the GUEST EXPERT section and I saw that many times people/pros send their drums to a compressor and bring it back into the track like you would an effect (reverb) etc. This surprised me and got me to wondering two things:

1. Is that what they call parallel compression?

and

2. How do you decide when to this?

What is its specific advantage? I suppose I just have to use it and let my ears teach me. Thanks if you can shed any light on this technique. Thanks
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabtwins View Post
The never ending task of learning and applying continues and I am trying to get my head around this technique if that what it is. Normally I have been using compression as an insert on the particular tracks often a stem. IN other words I have my tracks separated so if I am compressing my kick track that's all I am worried about I dont need the multiband for the most part. I havent mastered the compressor yet so i find the multicompressor a bit more challenging. In any event I was going through some of the threads on the GUEST EXPERT section and I saw that many times people/pros send their drums to a compressor and bring it back into the track like you would an effect (reverb) etc. This surprised me and got me to wondering two things:

1. Is that what they call parallel compression?
Yes, aka by some as side chain compression. A good backgrounder:
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/rhu.../sidechain.htm

Quote:
and

2. How do you decide when to this?
When you want the sound of lifting low passages rather than holding down louder ones.

Quote:
What is its specific advantage?
As above, but also transparency in reducing dynamic range whilst retaining transients. (The louder the source gets the less the compressed signal contributes to the final output!).

Quote:
I suppose I just have to use it and let my ears teach me.
Exactly. It's a different sound. Best advice is to get very used to a single band/broadband compressor - get used to its sound and the effects of differing attack and release settings.

Generally for parallel, at least 2:1 and fastest attack, threshold set so that it's not applying any gain reduction in the source material's softest passages. And the comp/dry paths must be phase aligned. eg, if s/ware plug ins, set up comps for both paths but the dry to 1:1 ratio, max threshold. Blend judiciously. Can be great on drum overheads.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

You have to be carefull to avoid comb filtering when you combine the two signals together. the compressed one will be lagging a little. I don't know if allot of DAWS fully compensate the sends for timing like that. some people put in a plugg in the one side to delay and get them synced up. Some of the voxegno compressor pluggs include a mix knob that does this.

good luck.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search