The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering Mains, Tyler D1x still hold up against newer B&W? Studio Monitors
Old 26th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
Using an upgraded Adcom 555 with my D1X, stock on the tweeter. I tried the Emotiva, but it was noisy (tweeter hiss) - but I think I'm the only one who's had that problem.
I am using the Emotiva XPA-2 with my D1X and I too had a bad amplifier sent to me at first. Tons of hiss. The replacement amp I got was fine though.
Old 10th October 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrich10 View Post
I will add to this thread next week as I am shooting out my D1+stereo Decade subs against ATC150 actives.
Did you ever get to do the shootout?
If so, how did it go?
Old 10th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel time View Post
Did you ever get to do the shootout?
If so, how did it go?

Yes I using both sets for a few days. Full range on both was great.
I found myself making faster decisions on the ATC and the D1 sounded 'too broken' in compared to the 150s. That said I could work of either all day and my ears were not be tired.
Old 10th November 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
I found myself making faster decisions on the ATC and the D1 sounded 'too broken' in compared to the 150s. That said I could work of either all day and my ears were not be tired.

broken?....how come?
Old 10th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogica View Post
broken?....how come?

'broken in' not broken

like old comfortable shoes.. slightly dull
Old 10th November 2016
Quote:
I believe depends what kind of class amp you using.

I tried my DX2's with a Class D amp and just change the set of cables the response was different.

I tried with Hypex UCD400 and set of anticables the midrange come forward and the detail is too much for my taste, against a set of cardas cables sound slower the transient and hallow, as well I did that with Class A/B Adcom GFA 555 Pro and the same set of cables and fit better my ears and the room.

I been mastering for 10 hrs daily without fatigue, but what I experience in the past, depends the amount or location of diffusors has to do with fatigue and 100% from the speakers itself.

You have to start judging the Tylers after 300 Hrs but broken sound that's strange?

For sure the ATC could be a better speaker since the components are top product Congrats and enjoyed your nice ATC speakers Dietrich.
Old 10th November 2016
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=JVFM;12246659
You have to start judging the Tylers after 300 Hrs but broken sound that's strange?

For sure the ATC could be a better speaker since the components are top product Congrats and enjoyed your nice ATC speakers Dietrich.[/QUOTE]
Thank you

But I still mean the Tyler sounded 'worn in' and not broken.
No client complaints. mids too relaxed

ATC faster for sure
Old 11th November 2016
Quote:
Thank you

But I still mean the Tyler sounded 'worn in' and not broken.
No client complaints. mids too relaxed

ATC faster for sure
The woofer response it's not that bad in the DX2's could be the cabinet is smaller and air pressure push the woofer to translate faster,
I don't have the chance to check the Dx1's
I used to owned a Lipinski 707 and 505 and I like the 505 fast woofer response maybe since the cabinet was smaller but I hate the fatigue on the tweeter.

Last edited by JVFM; 12th November 2016 at 11:36 AM..
Old 11th November 2016
Gear Nut
alright, im just curious...i have the D1Xs and i never tried anything else in that range...so i cannot so sure with no more references.

To me it sounds quite uncolored, raw, no "hype" at all...I guess thats good for mastering, maybe the only complain would be the tweeters, you have to be at least 2.5 meters away and even so they are aggresive to me...
Old 12th November 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
If the tweeters seem a bit aggressive, ask Tyler what rating the resistor to the tweeter is and add an Ohm or two.
Old 12th November 2016
I have it at 9 feet and with the Hypex since to be more detailing but not aggressive and with the Adcom is more pleasurable the sound of the tweeters
I remembered Tyler remark me the distance and give you the option, how John said on the tweeter, real important where sit the speakers and room dimension.
Old 21st April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master View Post
I can only speak of the D1's -- One of the first places to use them actually. Had Nautilus 802's prior to the D1's and in hindsight, can't even imagine how I cranked out the hits with 'em. Not that they were "bad" by any stretch -- but I found them very - uh... "Hey! Look at me! I'm the midrange! I'm in yo face!" compared to a very "I don't even notice there are speakers" Tyler D1's.

Which is why I still have D1's. Ty and I have talked about "upgrading" -- but I just can't imagine - I mean, I'd really need to be blown away to even bother moving these things. They're absolutely, positively audibly stunning. Not that I've dumped the idea, but I just need to drive down there one of these days and see if they'd be worth the trouble.

I have this piece and that piece and it's pretty rare that I go "Wow - I can't even imagine what it must be to be better than this" - and the D1's were (and still are) on a very short list of "Yup - that's the one" (for lack of a better term).

Heard the D802's and thought more or less the same thing. Fantastic, no doubt. But just not what I'm looking for.
What amplifier do you use to power them? I'm talking to Ty and I'll probably get a couple of D1x's.
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallau1 View Post
What amplifier do you use to power them? I'm talking to Ty and I'll probably get a couple of D1x's.
These speakers run beautifully with Hypex UcD400HG+HxR Monoblock's.
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Maniac
I’ve got a pair of Hypex NC500 mono blocks powering my Tyler’s and the combo work great. After 300 hours of “breaking in”, I found the Tyler’s just very slightly aggressive so I changed the tweeter resistor. Very easy to do and it’s great to have the option. If you want to experiment then you can use terminal blocks before getting the soldiering iron out.
Old 22nd April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomaster View Post
I’ve got a pair of Hypex NC500 mono blocks powering my Tyler’s and the combo work great. After 300 hours of “breaking in”, I found the Tyler’s just very slightly aggressive so I changed the tweeter resistor. Very easy to do and it’s great to have the option. If you want to experiment then you can use terminal blocks before getting the soldiering iron out.
Interesting, do you sit by? Because I've seen people speaking that they find it aggressive when they're very close. My room is not very big, so this is probably going to happen, would it be a good idea to ask Tyler to make that change before sending it out?
Old 22nd April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Hatfield View Post
These speakers run beautifully with Hypex UcD400HG+HxR Monoblock's.
Thanks for the recommendation, I was thinking that Ncore 400 might be a good option too.
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Interesting, do you sit by? Because I've seen people speaking that they find it aggressive when they're very close. My room is not very big, so this is probably going to happen, would it be a good idea to ask Tyler to make that change before sending it out?
I am fairly close as my room isn't massive. Predicting how they will sound in your room is impossible and changing the resistor is so easy, so personally, I would take them exactly as their maker intended.
Old 23rd April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomaster View Post
I am fairly close as my room isn't massive. Predicting how they will sound in your room is impossible and changing the resistor is so easy, so personally, I would take them exactly as their maker intended.
Got it. Do you mix with D1x's? I saw Tyler saying it's not good for mixing, it would be nice to have a user's opinion on that. I am acquiring for the purpose of mixing, mastering and production.
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Got it. Do you mix with D1x's? I saw Tyler saying it's not good for mixing, it would be nice to have a user's opinion on that. I am acquiring for the purpose of mixing, mastering and production.
I mix with my D1x's. They work just fine.

I mix, master, and produce/write/sample/tinker with them. It's also cool to listen to music or watch TV/movies through them.

I say get to know the speakers and then get to work. I don't understand why people say "mastering speakers" are too detailed or too whatever to do other things with. Once the speakers are of good quality and are trustworthy, then it's up to you to focus on what you want to accomplish, and that could be writing, mixing, mastering, etc. If you're tracking and want to not focus on details, then don't. If you're mastering or doing QA, and you really care about the details, then you should pay attention to them.

Just a thought. But yeah, love the D1x's.
Old 23rd April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyTheAvatar View Post
I mix with my D1x's. They work just fine.

I mix, master, and produce/write/sample/tinker with them. It's also cool to listen to music or watch TV/movies through them.

I say get to know the speakers and then get to work. I don't understand why people say "mastering speakers" are too detailed or too whatever to do other things with. Once the speakers are of good quality and are trustworthy, then it's up to you to focus on what you want to accomplish, and that could be writing, mixing, mastering, etc. If you're tracking and want to not focus on details, then don't. If you're mastering or doing QA, and you really care about the details, then you should pay attention to them.

Just a thought. But yeah, love the D1x's.
That's it! Thanks for your comment.
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Addict

Macc asked way back at the start of the thread how the Tylers compare to the PMC sound ..

Any takers?
Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loji View Post
Macc asked way back at the start of the thread how the Tylers compare to the PMC sound ..

Any takers?
I’d be interested in this too. I recently heard a pair of PMC IB1S-AIII’s for the second time and they left my jaw on the floor. $12,000 is totally fair for that kind of performance, but I recently stumbled on the Tyler line and see people raving about them. Wondering if a pair of MM5x with a decent amp could possibly be in the same ballpark and how it would compare sonically...
Old 29th September 2018
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
the B&Ws had kind of alienating high end that I would imagine both fatiguing and a bit hard to accurately read.
I had an old pair of bw 802s for about 2 years and this is the most memorable thing about them. I remember harsh and ear biting.
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinecellar View Post
I’d be interested in this too. I recently heard a pair of PMC IB1S-AIII’s for the second time and they left my jaw on the floor. $12,000 is totally fair for that kind of performance, but I recently stumbled on the Tyler line and see people raving about them. Wondering if a pair of MM5x with a decent amp could possibly be in the same ballpark and how it would compare sonically...
The pair of Tylers I heard was no where near the performance of ATC or PMC ... But set-up a demo and take a listen for yourself
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The pair of Tylers I heard was no where near the performance of ATC or PMC ... But set-up a demo and take a listen for yourself
Thanks. Do you remember which Tylers you listened to? A friend of mine nearby who's a mastering engineer has a pair of their D1's and loves them - I do plan on checking them out at his place.

It does seem too good to be true that the Tylers can compete with the likes of ATC and PMC, but at the same time, there are a lot of mastering guys using them - that's hard to ignore. Any other Tyler users care to chime in?
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinecellar View Post
Any other Tyler users care to chime in?
Sure! I had a pair of ATC SCM50ASL PRO next to a pair of D2x for a few months. I thought the ATCs would replace the Tylers, but I prefer working with the D2x.
Old 2nd October 2018
Tyler D3mx's here in a small room. (They are the same as the center sections from the D1x model). I love the soft dome tweeters - comparing to Barefoot MM27.

No experience with ATC's though.
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
a loudspeaker is more than its parts - and in this respect, tyler is a masterpiece.
the system with which the d1(x) is built has a few massive advantages - you can really get a lot out of relatively inexpensive drivers.
that's partly due to the fact that with this large volume the bass drivers sound quite tight despite the bass reflex, and you don't need long-hub-drivers because of the 4 drivers and the BR.
another advantage are the widely spaced bass drivers, which now stimulate the room from different places, which helps with the modes stimulation - it's easier to get a bigger sweetspot.
nevertheless, you can decouple these drivers higher than with a subwoofer, so the midrange driver is much less stressed and the midrange is less compressed. so also here you can achieve really good results with a rather inexpensive and a bit smaller driver.
with the tweeter, however, everything stays the same - you can hear mercilessly how good the tweeter is.
on the d1 i found the tweeter to be pleasant, but not really satisfying. for that, the two sides were never matched enough even after an exchange and i was able to discover a massive notch around 6kHz, which i don't want to have while mastering.
with the d1x they hopefully used a better tweeter.
nevertheless we shouldn't exaggerate. compared to a big atc or pmc as well as modern systems by guzauski-swist or dutch dutch, the limits of a tyler are shown - in the end, you still get what you pay for.
i would rather not judge a b&w, i am not compatible with this loudspeaker.
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010110 View Post
Sure! I had a pair of ATC SCM50ASL PRO next to a pair of D2x for a few months. I thought the ATCs would replace the Tylers, but I prefer working with the D2x.
Man, I’d love to hear you elaborate on that a bit - how you’d describe their differences, etc. I’m super familiar with the ATC sound, so I look forward to hearing the Tylers.

I did an extensive shootout last year of a handful of high-end monitors (ADAM, ATC, Barefoot, Focal, PMC TwoTwo, Kii and a few others) and in my room, I chose ADAM S3H along with an NHT B20 sub system that Carl Tatz used to recommend. I love it, but I’m still kinda wanting a more mastering-oriented mains rig, so these Tylers have caught my interest for sure. If you have nothing better to do, here’s the review I wrote after the shootout: Reviews — Jim Daneker

Anyway, it really speaks volumes that anyone might prefer the Tylers over ATC 50’s!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I finally had a chance to do just that. I spent some time at a friend's mastering suite on Friday (he has D1X's/Emotiva XPA-2), followed by a session on PMC IB1S-AIII's. And although they were different rooms, both were pro installations - and I have to agree with you - they were nowhere near each other in terms of performance. Granted they are voiced very differently; the Tylers reminded me of ATC's approach - all about the mids. They were great at that, but they were just very diffuse overall - they didn't have the kind of razor-sharp imaging I'm looking for across the full spectrum. I get why some guys like them - same mindset as those who love ATCs. There's a lot to like about them - they're just not for me.

The PMCs on the other hand... well, let's just say that for the first time in my life outside a high-end mastering suite, I heard a pair of speakers that just about made me weep. It was an immediate, visceral, emotional reaction. I've heard the IB1S before and was stunned both times, but this session gave me time to really listen for a while. Despite the time I spent, my mind was made up in less than 10 seconds. The imaging and soundstage is unlike anything I've heard elsewhere - again, until you get up into the mastering stratosphere. And while many claim you don't need subs with some "full range" boxes, that's a legit claim with the IB1S.

Anyway, just my $.02. I wish I could have heard the Tylers in my own room just out of curiosity, but after hearing the PMCs, it would be a waste of time given my criteria. I need the kind of detail, focus, and expansive soundstage I heard on the PMCs.

Cheers!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search