The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What are the proper monitoring setups?
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Addict

What are the proper monitoring setups?

I've had a set of M Audio BX8 monitors for about 5 years now, and have always had the same settings on the back, because that's how they came. These are what they are

1.Acoustic Space: 0 -2 -4. Mine is at -2
2.High Freq: 0 -2 -4 Mine is at 0
3.Midrange: PSC or Flat Mine is at flat
4.Low cutoff: 37, 47, 80 hz Mine is at 37

Is this a normal setting, or should I change them?
Old 23rd January 2007
Well... perhaps you should listen instead of worrying about how the settings look
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slogun View Post
Well... perhaps you should listen instead of worrying about how the settings look
I have listened, for about 5 years. Just thought different settins might sound better. Do you think I give a rats ass "how the settings look" ????
Old 23rd January 2007
Well then, give the settings a try and LISTEN. Nobody can tell you which setting sounds the best unless he/she helps you calibrate them in your room, in your sweetspot.

<edit> the most important thing is how your mixes translates. If you change your setting then you might have to, so to speak, learn your monitors again. And yes, nobody probably will give a rats ass of how your settings are. If it works, it works! I wasn't being rude before, I hope </edit>
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Addict

He might mean that you should listen to the difference the settings make when you change them...

Besides that, nobody can give any usefull advice at all to this question, because it has everything to do with your room and setup.
There are probably some useful guidelines in the manual, and otherwise, just tune them by listening to them.

Edit: that was just what I wanted to say.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
M Audio BX8's for mastering? What's the proper setup for those for mastering?

is that some kind of trick question!?

I got a better one:

Hey folks, how can I make my Mackie 824s sound like some B&W 804s eh? Oh yeah, and I want to spend no more than $50 on the amp and I got a great deal on speaker cables from Radio Shack!

I'm not saying, but...I'm saying!

Last edited by Franco; 23rd January 2007 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: Not Clear Enough.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
M Audio BX8's for mastering? What's the proper setup for those for mastering?

I'd agree that this is the wrong forum for this post,

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=Franco;1088465]M Audio BX8's for mastering? What's the proper setup for those for mastering?

I got a better one:

Hey folks, how can I make my Mackie 824s sound like some B&W 804s eh? Oh yeah, and I want to spend no more than $50 on the amp and I got a great deal on speaker cables from Radio Shack!

I'm not saying, but...I'm saying![/QUOTE

I got even a better one:

Why don't you loan me 2000 bucks and I'll go get a new pair of speakers if they are not up to your standards Columbo
Old 24th January 2007
I think it's right though, I'm saving for 602s I think before I start talking mastering for cash.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Head

Give the guy a break. Many of us are still learning. My suggestion, though not very technical, but works for me is.. play some of your favorite major label mixes (or Indie if that's your bag) through the speakers. Tweak the EQ settings to what works well with the majority of those super mixes, what sounds best to YOU. You're the one who's going to be working in that room. Then play some of your mixes through those same speakers and compare. Tweak, compare, tweak, compare until it sounds as best as you can get it. That's my two cents worth.. Good luck. Bart Rose www.firststreetaudio.com FT. WORTH
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartrose View Post
Give the guy a break. Many of us are still learning. My suggestion, though not very technical, but works for me is.. play some of your favorite major label mixes (or Indie if that's your bag) through the speakers. Tweak the EQ settings to what works well with the majority of those super mixes, what sounds best to YOU. You're the one who's going to be working in that room. Then play some of your mixes through those same speakers and compare. Tweak, compare, tweak, compare until it sounds as best as you can get it. That's my two cents worth.. Good luck. Bart Rose www.firststreetaudio.com FT. WORTH

Thank You. That should be very helpful

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search