The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need pointers with Jam
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Nut

Need pointers with Jam

I have a project that I will master in Protools on a mac for a friend, "no budget for a real mastering session,so this ones a freebe" that was due yesterday of course.

I have had Toast 6 with jam for awhile now but have not even had time to install it yet. I will have dithered down to 16/44 to export to Jam. I plan on one Protools session per song and then export.

Can anyone give some pointers on what I need to concentrate on in jam to make the red book?

Maybe like a step by step cheat sheet of things to look for? Thanks,
Old 22nd January 2007
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Jam is very similar to Toast and it uses Toast for burning anyway.
It has more features. If I am not mistaken they can both create red book compliant disks.
Jam supports ISRC codes as well as UPC/EAN, CD Text and track offsets.
Jam also has a mini fade editor if I remember well and you can print out a log.

Drag the files into the window, sequence the songs in the desired order, set the pause between tracks and burn.

Maybe one of you that uses it every day can add or correct me.
Old 22nd January 2007
t_d
Lives for gear

Jam makes redbook by default.. so, once you get your tracks in there, you're set to go...

a few things to point out:

- track 1 always has to have a PAUSE of 2sec. (this will be set by default)

- you should UNCHECK "cp" on each track. this is copy protection and may (or may not?) prevent the disc from being duplicated at the plant

- do NOT turn tracks UP in volume with Jam's Gain feature. you can use it to tweak volumes downwards, but don't count on Jam to give you distortion free gain. do any volume adjustments in PT or Peak or whatever, before you bring it into Jam.

- you can add ISRC codes (without hyphens) in Jam and also under Disk Info or somesuch you can imbed the UPC

- you can edit CD TEXT info as well

that's it, off the top of my head..! Jam is super buggy with external sound interfaces, so you may find yourself needing to preview the disc from your mac's audio output!

i hope this is fixed in Toast 8 (which now has Jam built in)
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
Jam makes redbook by default.. so, once you get your tracks in there, you're set to go...

a few things to point out:

- track 1 always has to have a PAUSE of 2sec. (this will be set by default)
Or it will warn you before the burn and apply it.

Quote:
- you should UNCHECK "cp" on each track. this is copy protection and may (or may not?) prevent the disc from being duplicated at the plant
The copy prohibit flag is largely redundant as it applies only to SPDIF.

Quote:
- do NOT turn tracks UP in volume with Jam's Gain feature. you can use it to tweak volumes downwards, but don't count on Jam to give you distortion free gain. do any volume adjustments in PT or Peak or whatever, before you bring it into Jam.
Correct, the adjustment is 1dB steps only and it's best to have everything set pre-Jam, dithered. The offsets and inclusion of CD Text (read by some DVD players) is very welcome in my book (previous Sonic, SADiE and WL user).

Quote:
Jam is super buggy with external sound interfaces, so you may find yourself needing to preview the disc from your mac's audio output!

i hope this is fixed in Toast 8 (which now has Jam built in)
Seems fine with the Core Audio (quit PT first).
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Nut

Great stuff! Thankyou Thankyou!

I have not even read the manual yet, so when I say cheat sheet, im talking the basics. Like,
1. open Jam

2.go to Blank menu, click on blank.

3. click on blank and import track to blank ect.

Like a tutorial to get started and then I'll dig into the manual as things come up.
If nobody has time thats okay, I'll just have to take the time to RTFM
But I would love a little help getting started. Thanks again.
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Head

I think Jam sucks. I use it, but hate it. I just switched to Mac this year to install a big Pro Tools rig. I was used to using CD Artitect in Windows before that. Anyone know of a burning program for Mac that is more powerful than Jam but is easy to use, that can use Core Audio to preview song order, etc? Jam is definitly a pain to use with multiple Pro Tools interfaces when it comes to previewing the audio.. Bart Rose
Old 23rd January 2007
t_d
Lives for gear

i have a feeling (hope) that Toast 8, that now includes Jam, is much improved.....so you may want to check that out..

but for a much nicer solution, check out the latest Peak (it's quite a bit more expensive than Toast, but is also a no-brainer in any Mac audio rig)....

Peak has a very full featured redbook cd burning system... the ability to visually drag track waveforms around, create complex fades as well as all of the regular ISRC and subcoding.

one of my favorite aspects about working in Peak for cd burning is that i can work right with my 24 bit files and Peak will POW-R dither then when it burns.... no longer to i have to create additional 16bit files for Jam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp View Post
Great stuff! Thankyou Thankyou!

I have not even read the manual yet, so when I say cheat sheet, im talking the basics. Like,
1. open Jam

2.go to Blank menu, click on blank.

3. click on blank and import track to blank ect.

Like a tutorial to get started and then I'll dig into the manual as things come up.
If nobody has time thats okay, I'll just have to take the time to RTFM
But I would love a little help getting started. Thanks again.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartrose View Post
I think Jam sucks. I use it, but hate it. I just switched to Mac this year to install a big Pro Tools rig. I was used to using CD Artitect in Windows before that. Anyone know of a burning program for Mac that is more powerful than Jam but is easy to use, that can use Core Audio to preview song order, etc? Jam is definitly a pain to use with multiple Pro Tools interfaces when it comes to previewing the audio.. Bart Rose
Sonic Studio PreMaster CD. It is really great and the app a lot of Mac users have waited for.
http://sonicstudio.com
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Head

Peak Gives me problems with Core Audio. Does not pass audio through 192 interfaces sometimes without Turning off my 2nd and 3rd interfaces (I have three total.. 2 of the 192's and one of the 96i.)
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Just so you know you can adjust the gain in Jam in one tenth DB increments, not just one dB as stated above. Just hold down the shift key when adjusting the volume.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search