The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are the Weiss EQ1 and DS1 must haves in Mastering?
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Addict

Are the Weiss EQ1 and DS1 must haves in Mastering?

I have decided to begin accepting Mastering Sessions this year.

It seems that the Weiss pieces are standard in the high end mastering rooms.
My setup so far is:
(2)-Trakkers
Massive Passive
Vari-mu
IBIS
(2)-Lil Freq's / (They are new but seem like they would be helpful in a mastering rack)
TC6000 (I have to update it with the Brickwall Limiter)
Hedd 192
Rosetta 800
Z-SYS 16.16
Finalizer (I have to update it to 96K)
Masterlink 96
Tascam RA1000
Protools HD - (I dont know what the standard Mastering Mac software is for capturing and structuring CD's but I will probably be using Waveburner)

I have narrowed down the speaker selection to the Barefoot MM27's or the Lapinski 707's.
The only other decision are the Weiss pieces. I have seen many mastering rooms with less but for the most part the high end rooms seem to all have weiss. Is there an advantage to processing with these units once you have transferred the songs into the workstation? Or is it that they are just as good or better than any of the available analog pieces?

I'm not a plug in fan but if there are any must have plugs for mastering that would be helpful.

Any input from the pros would be appreciated.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Addict

The "must have" in any high-end Mastering room are good ears, room and monitoring chain! The clients are going to come to the person with the better ears and insight... not if you have any Weiss equipment or not.
That being said, you have all the tools now necessary to start Mastering. If after 6 or so months you still feel you are lacking something, get some of the Weiss units in to demo.
Get proficient with what you have now. If you do that, you would probably care less if you have "Weiss" equipment or not.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Head

The Weiss stuff is great no doubt but there have been some serious advances in plug-ins but I think you'll find they are mostly for PC.

On the Mac you can use Sonic, Waveberner or Jam for creating red book masters.

You have a great list of gear.

Bruce is right in saying you should get to know your gear really well before you start adding boxes.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Guru

How's your room? The AD/DA, room and monitors are the things to focus on first. Then as you work, see what else you need. Buy what you need today, not what you think you might need tomorrow or what others use.

Those monitors are both plenty good if your room is good and if you understand them. Try the monitors, work on them, see how it goes.

Weiss is good stuff, but I'm no fan of digital eq. Sold a Weiss eq mk-ii to Bob Katz, as he's a big fan and it suits his style of work and sound. Bottom line, it's not the gear someone else has that you should be focused on, it's the gear your need to help your clients and solve real problems for your chain.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks for the feedback. All points are well taken. I will take your advice and the advice of an earlier thread which read: If you wait until everything is perfect to get started, you never will.....
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
How's your room? The AD/DA, room and monitors are the things to focus on first. Then as you work, see what else you need. Buy what you need today, not what you think you might need tomorrow or what others use.

Those monitors are both plenty good if your room is good and if you understand them. Try the monitors, work on them, see how it goes.

Weiss is good stuff, but I'm no fan of digital eq. Sold a Weiss eq mk-ii to Bob Katz, as he's a big fan and it suits his style of work and sound. Bottom line, it's not the gear someone else has that you should be focused on, it's the gear your need to help your clients and solve real problems for your chain.
I am sure I will have to do a bit more work on the room with a pro acoustician or learn how to do a little measuring and evaluation on my own to understand the bass response a bit better. The room is actually 2 rooms combined at 13ft wide and 28 feet long but only 9 foot ceilings. Based on Katz book I think I have enough AD/DA with the hedd-Avocet-Rosetta-TC6000 and PT. I am studying his block diagram example. Has Barefoot released the monitors that you use. I noticed that they say coming soon on the website.

From this point as a rule I will work with what I have, but I must say that anticipating the future has also served me well, as all of the recent gear purchases were made with the idea that oneday I would take on mastering.

Thanks for the input..
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Has Barefoot released the monitors that you use. I noticed that they say coming soon on the website.
I would contact Tetness, here on GS.

Quote:
From this point as a rule I will work with what I have, but I must say that anticipating the future has also served me well, as all of the recent gear purchases were made with the idea that oneday I would take on mastering.

Thanks for the input..
Oh sure ... planning is always good. And using your gut is a fine way to go, when you need to. My point was meant to be that by doing the work your studio's limitations and needs are revealed.

Have fun thumbsup
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have decided to begin accepting Mastering Sessions this year.

It seems that the Weiss pieces are standard in the high end mastering rooms.
My setup so far is:
(2)-Trakkers
Massive Passive
Vari-mu
IBIS
(2)-Lil Freq's / (They are new but seem like they would be helpful in a mastering rack)
TC6000 (I have to update it with the Brickwall Limiter)
Hedd 192
Rosetta 800
Z-SYS 16.16
Finalizer (I have to update it to 96K)
Masterlink 96
Tascam RA1000
Protools HD - (I dont know what the standard Mastering Mac software is for capturing and structuring CD's but I will probably be using Waveburner)

I have narrowed down the speaker selection to the Barefoot MM27's or the Lapinski 707's.
The only other decision are the Weiss pieces. I have seen many mastering rooms with less but for the most part the high end rooms seem to all have weiss. Is there an advantage to processing with these units once you have transferred the songs into the workstation? Or is it that they are just as good or better than any of the available analog pieces?

I'm not a plug in fan but if there are any must have plugs for mastering that would be helpful.

Any input from the pros would be appreciated.
Sonic studio Soundblade is also good for making masters.
And also good as mastering DAW but you have to like the interface it takes some getting used to.
Also consider the analog eq from prismsound is is aimed at mastering studio's and sounds very good and the Cedar devices for noise removal.
I don't know the weiss gambit series but i used the weiss 102 system (on DOS with external hardware) for a while and it is a very capable tool so i guess the newer series are even more capable. A very good basic tool for mastering. And every bit as good as the best analog gear only different. And it is nice to have a very good linear phase eq around and a high quality compressor (in the 102 it really are 3 compressors in series) I guess you would use them a lot.
But you already have a nice selection on you're shopping list!!
And for plugins maybe inspectorXL is nice to have around. And some different dithering options.

Have Fun!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search