The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Black Box Analog Design HG-2
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Also the density knob is key. In the top panel. Almost all the way down I think is the way to use it, such that transients are preserved.
Old 22nd December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
Agree. Both the plugin and the hardware work better with lower input levels.
Both can also be trimmed at the input to accommodate different gain staging preferences. On the plugin it’s just an input knob and the hardware has a set of internal trimmers.
Old 22nd December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Also the density knob is key. In the top panel. Almost all the way down I think is the way to use it, such that transients are preserved.
It really is a useful control but how you set it depends on how hot you are hitting the input and what your goal is. Sometimes my goal is to shave off transients either subtly or dramatically and I like the way it does it far more that compression much of the time. Since you don’t have the attack and release characteristics I find it a lot more transparent and that I can keep the punch.

You’re absolutely right that dialing it back brings your transients back though.
Old 22nd December 2018
Lives for gear
Yep, I really like the way the HG-2 rounds off transients.
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

Worth mentioning the sale on now for the plug @PA. I don't know when it ends.
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Guru
Just got the software. Man is this good!..... Gonna be on everything and works fine with the other saturators I have...... Smooth and classy!
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

HG-2 is on sale for 49$ for the next two days. I have so many saturators, including some from PA and others (Elysia phil's cascade, UAD culture vulture, Fuse audio..etc). Is this one really any different? pro's/con's? Owners, are you still using it and on what?

I was really considering Fuse's new VPRE-562A this month, but maybe this one is better, not sure, demo has expired on both.
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
HG-2 is on sale for 49$ for the next two days. I have so many saturators, including some from PA and others (Elysia phil's cascade, UAD culture vulture, Fuse audio..etc). Is this one really any different? pro's/con's? Owners, are you still using it and on what?

I was really considering Fuse's new VPRE-562A this month, but maybe this one is better, not sure, demo has expired on both.
Yep it is different I have Soundtoys, SDRR, Reviver Omega and VSM-3. Haven't done a deep dive and a musician so presets rule for quick mixing. I have been severe in what I'm buying and totally worth it. The Fuse is also tempting, the Vpre is all over my mixes.....

I think it's important to remember that classic recordings were done with many trips to tape and through the console, so lots of saturation all over the place and of course the real fight was generational loss of high end and noise.....
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear
I don't love the plugin the way I love the hardware, but for $49 you can't go wrong.
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Head
the hardware lives on my mixbus , and the plugin is all over my mixes (synths , perc, etc)
The plugin is definitely worth it because it sounds different than any other saturation plugin I have .
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

^^^ Thanks for the positive feedback. Gonna grab the HG-2 today. Lots of comments about it having a different flavour from other saturators, I like that idea. Some of the ones I have are one trick ponies without much control over the tone. Only redundancy might be Phil's cascade, hopefully it's different enough.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search