The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
test tones on a perfect setup
Old 21st January 2007
Here for the gear

test tones on a perfect setup

What am I supposed to be hearing when I listen to test tones on a perfect monitor+room setup?
Should each frequency have the same subjective loudness? ie should 25Hz sound as loud as 85Hz
Or should there be a smooth increase in subjective loudness as frequency increases?
so that 25Hz is not as subjectively loud as 85Hz

My test tones are pure sine waves from G# -1 25.956 Hz to E1 82.407 Hz, going up in semitones, all at 0dBFS.
(to position a subwoofer)
Why all the decimals, I know, but at least I can get that right.

I listen to the tones on Sony MDR 7506 headphones. There is a gradual crescendo. Subjective volume starts quiet at 25Hz and gets pretty loud by 85Hz (all tones are 0dBFS). Is this what would happen under ideal monitoring conditions, should I aim for this with my monitor/room setup?
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Refer to the Equal Loudness Curves at 80-90dB:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...nd/eqloud.html

and the frequency response of your monitoring system.

They're far from flat or perfect.

JT
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncoolgray View Post
What am I supposed to be hearing when I listen to test tones on a perfect monitor+room setup? Should each frequency have the same subjective loudness?
The whole point of test tones for checking loudspeakers in a room is to measure the response, not listen to them. Most rooms have numerous peaks and nulls of 30 dB or even more, and you'll never assess that accurately by ear. You'll be able to hear that the response is off, but not by how much or where.

Also, test tones and frequency response are only half the story. Time-based problems like early reflections, flutter echo, and ringing are just as important, and test tones will never show that. Below is a waterfall graph that shows both the response and ringing for a typical untreated room. In this type of graph the "mountains" come forward over time.

--Ethan

Old 25th July 2014

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search