The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering Compressor Comparison (Audio Samples)
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Mastering Compressor Comparison (Audio Samples)

Files here: [https://mega.nz/#F!InggRS4K!ztYVoN9G7H46yqF7TBYlOw]Mastering Compressor Comparison[/URL]

The compressors include:

ADT Audio
Airfield Liminator
API 2500
Buzz DBC
Buzz Essence
Buzz SOC 1.1
Buzz SOC 2.0
Chandler Germanium
Compex
Crane Song STC8
Dangerous Compressor
Dave Hills Titans
Dramastic Obsidian
Dynax
Electronaut M97
Elysia Alpha
Elysia Expressor
elysia mpressor
Fairman TMC
Fairman TSC
FCS P3S ME
FCS P4S ME
Focusrite RED3
GML 8900
Greg Hanks Design BA-660
Gyraf G22
Hcl Varis
Hcl Varis Blueface
IGS Multicore
IGS Tubecore
Knif Pure Mu
Knif Vari Mu II
Kush Tweakers
Manley SLAM
Manley Vari Mu
Mercury 66
Neve MBP
Pendulum ES-8
Pomchild 670
QES Variable Gm
Rockruepel CompOne
Rockruepel CompTwo
Shadow Hills Dual Vandagraph
Sknote Leso
SSL
Thermionic Culture Phoenix
Vacuvox
Vertigo VSC-2

ORIGINAL POST

The missing link in my analogue chain is a Vari Mu (or perhaps Opto) style compressor. There are several pieces that I am interested in hearing and it is difficult for me to get demos to my part of the world. This is where you come in.

I was hoping that some of you might be kind enough to run some audio through some gear for me. I have 3 audio clips that some of my clients have generously allowed me to use for this. At this stage I have only sought permission to send/receive the clips privately, but if there is enough interest, I am willing to approach these clients for permission to post the audio samples here in this thread to serve as a reference for everyone. [EDIT: it's now fine to post files directly to the thread]

There are a few compressors that I am particularly interested in and would greatly appreciate it if anyone could provide samples of these:

Airfield Liminator 2
Gyraf G22 (or G10)
Knif Pure Mu
Fairman TSC
IGS Tubecore 3U

Clips from other pieces are most welcome as well.

Let me know if you are willing to help me out with this and I will PM the files to you. I'm thinking that for the sake of comparison, gentle settings would be best (slow time constants, small amount of GR).

Although a great service to me, I'm hoping this will be a useful resource and interesting source of discussion for the broader community as well.

Much appreciated!

Dom

Last edited by SmoothTone; 8th December 2015 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I am in the exact same situation.
My main contender is actually the Knif Pure Mu.
So I'm keeping an excited eye on this thread.

For public sample, you could use the sample from the EQ Shootout thread.
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxnscratch View Post
I am in the exact same situation.
My main contender is actually the Knif Pure Mu.
So I'm keeping an excited eye on this thread.

Omg the maker of that song will ask for due royalties very soon I believe
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Very good thread in the making

If I may : although I'm still waiting for my unit to be ready, so I can't use it with your audio files yet; let me post here for everybody some audio exemple I did with the new Spl Iron Comp (Vari Mu).

SPL IRON mastering compressor

at : #49

Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
I did consider it but was a bit worried we might be stretching the friendship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
Omg the maker of that song will ask for due royalties very soon I believe
Let's give them a plug then, eh. The artist is AIKA. Here's the full track:

iTunes

The new album was mastered by Bernie Grundman. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJl...jzt7rZsp1UbD6g

Quote:
let me post here for everybody some audio exemple I did with the new Spl Iron Comp (Vari Mu).

SPL IRON mastering compressor

at : #49

Thanks for this. Sounds warm and firm. Great voice in the clip too! Would this be some audio we could use in this thread?
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
I did consider it but was a bit worried we might be stretching the friendship!

Let's give them a plug then, eh. The artist is AIKA. Here's the full track:

iTunes

The new album was mastered by Bernie Grundman. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJl...jzt7rZsp1UbD6g

Thanks for this. Sounds warm and firm. Great voice in the clip too! Would this be some audio we could use in this thread?
I love this song, amazing piece of music indeed

No actually I think its not possible to use this some more, as it has its own copyright etc on it. I've used this material only to test the Iron unit I had in the studio for 3 days, and thats why I posted it here on gearslutz for people to hear this comp aswell (as its fairly new so no sounds exemple anywhere).
Old 12th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
The missing link in my analogue chain is a Vari Mu (or perhaps Opto) style compressor. There are several pieces that I am interested in hearing and it is difficult for me to get demos to my part of the world. This is where you come in.

I was hoping that some of you might be kind enough to run some audio through some gear for me. I have 3 audio clips that some of my clients have generously allowed me to use for this. At this stage I have only sought permission to send/receive the clips privately, but if there is enough interest, I am willing to approach these clients for permission to post the audio samples here in this thread to serve as a reference for everyone.

There are a few compressors that I am particularly interested in and would greatly appreciate it if anyone could provide samples of these:

Airfield Liminator 2
Gyraf G22 (or G10)
Knif Pure Mu
Fairman TSC
IGS Tubecore 3U

Clips from other pieces are most welcome as well.

Let me know if you are willing to help me out with this and I will PM the files to you. I'm thinking that for the sake of comparison, gentle settings would be best (slow time constants, small amount of GR).

Although a great service to me, I'm hoping this will be a useful resource and interesting source of discussion for the broader community as well.

Much appreciated!

Dom
liminator 2 & pure mu is a killer combo!
Old 13th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Also, it could be cool to have some feedback from users about how easy it is to keep the unit in good shape.
Like how expensive the tube are ? Does it need service often.
Those kind of question which also matters in term of daily use.

Like what about the KNIF Pure Mu ?
How expensive are new tubes and when do you need to change them ? (I'm quite new in the tube world)
Old 14th November 2015
I would add the Pendulum ES-8 on your list as well to check out
Old 14th November 2015
Here for the gear

add Vertigo Sound VSC-2
Old 14th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Also, it could be cool to have some feedback from users about how easy it is to keep the unit in good shape.

How expensive are new tubes and when do you need to change them ? (I'm quite new in the tube world)
Great idea.
Old 14th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
I would add the Pendulum ES-8 on your list as well to check out
Quote:
Originally Posted by flow00 View Post
I'm happy to.

Are you guys willing to put up some audio samples to make this more interesting?
Old 14th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:

For a tube device you need to let it warm before use, like 30 minutes at least. Thats super important if you want your tubes to last long. I'm use to let the chain warm up nicely while I do all the usual morning thing (shower breakfast coffee etc ^^), and this for almost 1 hour.

Now I'm on the process to change all the tubes on my Manley V mu. Today's tube production (not NOS) usually vari from 15 bucks to around 40 bucks a tube. Usually. Now I'm going full NOS (Sylvania Gold Brand) and this can be up to 4 time that price. I've already changed the Input and Output tubes and its pure bliss
Old 14th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
For a tube device you need to let it warm before use, like 30 minutes at least. Thats super important if you want your tubes to last long. I'm use to let the chain warm up nicely while I do all the usual morning thing (shower breakfast coffee etc ^^), and this for almost 1 hour.

Now I'm on the process to change all the tubes on my Manley V mu. Today's tube production (not NOS) usually vari from 15 bucks to around 40 bucks a tube. Usually. Now I'm going full NOS (Sylvania Gold Brand) and this can be up to 4 time that price. I've already changed the Input and Output tubes and its pure bliss
So you say to let the gear warm up for at lest half an hour before plaing anything through it.
Interesting
Old 14th November 2015
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
I'm happy to.

Are you guys willing to put up some audio samples to make this more interesting?
Send me track and I'll see as time permits. They are very different comps....
Old 14th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
So you say to let the gear warm up for at lest half an hour before plaing anything through it.
Interesting
Indeed
Old 14th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
Send me track and I'll see as time permits. They are very different comps....
Thanks so much for joining in Riccardo!

PM sent.

Dom
Old 15th November 2015
I would love to hear these. I can provide Rupert neve designs mbp - api 2500 and sknote lesso (pwm) if anyone would like to hear.
Old 15th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3030club View Post
I would love to hear these. I can provide Rupert neve designs mbp - api 2500 and sknote lesso (pwm) if anyone would like to hear.
That's great Mike! I've been curious about the sknote hardware.

PM sent.
Old 15th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
As your looking for a Vari mu aswell, I can make a run through mine (manley) if you want to, its been upgraded with NOS Sylvania Gold Brand input & output tubes, pure sonic bliss
Old 15th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
As your looking for a Vari mu aswell, I can make a run through mine (manley) if you want to, its been upgraded with NOS Sylvania Gold Brand input & output tubes, pure sonic bliss
That would be great actually. Although I'm not looking for the Manley sound in my chain, it's such a common piece that it would be good to have a sample of it for comparison (and who knows... it might change my mind!).

Files in your PM.
Old 15th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
That would be great actually. Although I'm not looking for the Manley sound in my chain, it's such a common piece that it would be good to have a sample of it for comparison (and who knows... it might change my mind!).

Files in your PM.
Got'em
Old 15th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
UPDATE:

So it looks like I should have a bunch of samples coming in the next week for the following:

Gyraf G22 and G10
Pendulum ES-8
Vertigo VSC-2
Neve MBP
Sknote Lesso
Manley Vari Mu
SPL Iron (?)

and I will throw my API 2500 into the mix.

It's also looking promising that I will be able to post the audio here in the thread. Until I have confirmed this, please PM any samples to me and I'll compile them into one package.

Thanks to everyone for their time so far!

Dom
Old 16th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So it looks like I should have a bunch of samples coming in the next week for the following:

Gyraf G22 and G10
Pendulum ES-8
Vertigo VSC-2
Neve MBP
Sknote Lesso
Manley Vari Mu
SPL Iron (?)

and I will throw my API 2500 into the mix.

It's also looking promising that I will be able to post the audio here in the thread. Until I have confirmed this, please PM any samples to me and I'll compile them into one package.

Thanks to everyone for their time so far!

Dom
If you can get some clips of a BA-660 you should consider adding that as an option. You would need two for stereo which is the only downside really.
Old 17th November 2015
Hi all, just a short note that when time permits, I will throw in my Fairman TSC (= opto with tube amp stages, not to be mistaken with the big TMC).

Although strict comparison will be impossible - f.i. the knobs on my TSC just have meaningless scale indicators 0 to 10 - this could be an interesting source to get a taste of available colors.

+1 on warming up the tubes for at least half an hour but that should be obvious.
(I think the 'interesting' indicated this)
Old 17th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuner View Post
Hi all, just a short note that when time permits, I will throw in my Fairman TSC (= opto with tube amp stages, not to be mistaken with the big TMC).

Although strict comparison will be impossible - f.i. the knobs on my TSC just have meaningless scale indicators 0 to 10 - this could be an interesting source to get a taste of available colors.

+1 on warming up the tubes for at least half an hour but that should be obvious.
(I think the 'interesting' indicated this)
Hi Peter,

Thanks for joining in. Based on our previous conversation the TSC is one of the compressors I'm most interested in hearing!

Dom
Old 19th November 2015
I can provide a RF P4S ME
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVFM View Post
I can provide a RF P4S ME
Sure. It would be good to have FCS represented in the samples. I'll be posting the clips I've received so far here in the thread when I get a chance later today and the unprocessed files will be included.
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Ok folks, here's the link for the first lot of files: http://we.tl/kn79vjuaVv

So far we have Adrien's (The Unik) modified Manley Vari Mu (multiple samples), Riccardo's Pendulum ES-8 and Vertigo VSC-2, my API 2500 and the unprocessed mix files. All samples are compiled and level matched.

I'll come back later to post my impressions.

A big thanks to Adrien and Riccardo for your time!

Dom

EDIT: anyone contributing feel free to post clips directly here in the thread now.

Last edited by SmoothTone; 20th November 2015 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Addition
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear
I have here
P4S ME
IGS Tube core
Kinf Pure Mu
SPL Iron
Gyraf G22
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search