The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering Compressor Comparison (Audio Samples)
Old 27th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
Yes, the TMC is very impressive. Very organic hugeness, wide and deep with a big, deep bass. Sounds like soft waves in a thick fluid... A little bit too much maybe as I have the feeling of some kind of a very organic lifelike modulation/breathing is going on especially on the unlinked sample... (the fairchild thing...)?
On the second track it sounds to me like a creepy monster coming out of its dungeon...
I bet there are little goblins in it which alters the audio. It sounds so alive...

PS: okay, maybe I had too much mushrooms in my soup at lunch... but I like gear that gets beyond a technical aplication...
Great description JP. Isn't it interesting how some gear inspires a departure from the usual descriptive language? To me it's a sign of something special.

I wonder what Wim feeds those goblins. . . ?
Old 28th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
thnx guys, I like the descriptions on the Dark Dragon from the North ))
Old 30th November 2015
TRW
Lives for gear

Here's 4 new ones - not named to stop any expectation bias, will reveal after some comments (not testing you guys, just evaluating some things from my end)...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ynftubg4lu...Tests.zip?dl=0

Let's see what you think.

Personally I'd love to hear some Dave Hill Titans doing clean and VCA/Dyn colour options in comparison to these.

So far like the Dangerous when it's in deep G.R - stays very detailed and the top is super open. It's got a kinda thin punch tho but it is impressively detailed. The Vertigo is lush and quite smooooth. Considering one of those, or Titans against one of the options in my set - so comments could be useful...

-T
Old 30th November 2015
TRW
Lives for gear

In my room, the TMC is a beast. Agree with you guys. Smooth, big and lush.

Would love to know if the Knif sings in the same way.

-T
Old 30th November 2015
I've sent Dom a couple of examples from my rig.

Knif vari mu 2
Rupert neve mbp
Sknote leso

I'm sure he will be posting soon
Old 30th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3030club View Post
I've sent Dom a couple of examples from my rig.

Knif vari mu 2
Rupert neve mbp
Sknote leso

I'm sure he will be posting soon
Yep, got the chance to compile and level match yesterday but not upload. Will do so tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
Would love to know if the Knif sings in the same way.
The Knif certainly sings, but in a very different way. It is all beauty where the TMC is more beast.

Stay tuned for the link...
Old 30th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Knif Vari Mu II, Neve MBP, Sknote Leso

Here are Mike's samples of the above compressors: http://we.tl/FZMhpjLSFR.

[Mike: you might like to explain you settings]

My impressions:

KNIF VARI MU II
Typical 3D depth/image we've come to associate with Knif hardware. Very euphonic. The TMC is a bit of a brute the way it grabs you; the Knif in comparison is more sweet and polite. I like the way the saturation version brings out the detail and clarity in the bass in Mix3.

NEVE MBP
Punchy. Transient enhancer (with settings used). Nice firmness and clarity - seems to create separation of mix elements.

SKNOTE LESO
This is an interesting one. Warm, firm; less forward than some of the others. The extreme versions are punchy without sounding too overcompressed (considering the settings!) - good comparison with the Dangerous high GR. I really like the warmth and fullness added to Mix3.

Thanks Mike for providing these. It's especially good to have a Knif to compare with the others. Can anyone comment on how the Pure Mu might compare to the VMII in terms of sound (functionality aside)?

Cheers.
Old 30th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
[Mike: you might like to explain you settings]
Happily.

Knif Vari Mu 2:

VM MAIN: Slow attack medium/fast release 2:1 ratio. 1-2 DB GR

VM SAT: No compression, just driving the input gain and dialing back the output (this box saturates/soft clips AMAZINGLY, and I never really saw it talked about)

RND Masterbuss:

MBP: 50ms attack 1s release 2:1 similar GR to the main KNIF pass

Sknote Leso:

Leso MAIN: similar to the MBP settings

Leso ALT: Included this because the compression on this box can be hard to hear. This pass has the second to fastest attack time and the fastest release time with a 40:1 ration (yep, forty) and 6-8 db of reduction. Just to show you how unobtrusive it is. Very weird compressor overall, some of the settings kinda do the opposite of what i'd expect.

Also: the Leso has no makeup gain (although apparently it can easily be modded to have some). Why, I do not know, but I used the makeup gain on my manley backbone for both examples.
Old 30th November 2015
Lives for gear

dm21

Quote:

DANGEROUS COMPRESSOR
Definitely clean. I like how it controlled and defined the low end on Mix 2 and 3. A little thin sounding. Overall clean tone and didn't really grab me. I think I'd need to play with it to get a sense of it's value in subtle control.

Thanks Giuseppe!

I wanted to make some more samples cause that thin sound didn't quite make a real aspect of DM21, in fact as you said a little play with att&rel would change alot.
Hope you'll enjoy.

http://we.tl/0NdmV093c7
Old 30th November 2015
TRW
Lives for gear

Hey Giuseppe,

Was that thin thing just from time constants or something else?

As an example my ABCD clips aren't as nice as they "could" be as I used my multichannel mix DAC - which is considerable more limited than my pitch DAC, but was mid mix so left the Orion32 hooked up and didn't re-patch. If you hear grain in my clips, I'd blame that DAC compared to you guys making clips with nice mastering converters on pitch & capture.

My capture was HEDD A/D.

So these clips are kinda limited in accuracy but I still find them useful non-the-less.

-T
Old 30th November 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria View Post
I wanted to make some more samples cause that thin sound didn't quite make a real aspect of DM21, in fact as you said a little play with att&rel would change alot.
Hope you'll enjoy.

Thanks Giuseppe, I'll check them out. BTW, I did like how your release setting fit the tempo of Mix2.
Quote:
Hey Giuseppe,

As an example my ABCD clips aren't as nice as they "could" be as I used my multichannel mix DAC - which is considerable more limited than my pitch DAC, but was mid mix so left the Orion32 hooked up and didn't re-patch. If you hear grain in my clips, I'd blame that DAC compared to you guys making clips with nice mastering converters on pitch & capture.

My capture was HEDD A/D.

So these clips are kinda limited in accuracy but I still find them useful non-the-less.

-T
That explains a little of what I'm hearing. I need some more time for a proper listen, but so far I'm most impressed with C.
Old 30th November 2015
Lives for gear

comp

Quote:
Hey Giuseppe,

Yes the only thing was the att and rel setting.

Your ABCD comparaison is interesting, even if I can hear a little grain.
There's one that I like most.
Now you have to tell us what they are...
Old 30th November 2015
TRW
Lives for gear

Yeah, the Orion is great value for money, but it isn't a great DAC by any means. THD is quite high.

I've also found that using it as master clock for the HEDD degrades the HEDD and puts side bands in. So I run the HEDD as master... If I could afford 32ch of Burl mothership - I'd get that for mixing.

For mastering - my plan is HEDD+Solaris DAC longterm... Have other DACs here - mostly evaluation board ones... Burr-Brown PCM1798 etc.

The four comps are:
  • Elysia Xpressor
  • Buzz Audio Essence (pair)
  • Rockruepel Comp.Two
  • KuSH Tweaker (running as a test, unlinked, one unit so left then right pass)

Which letter do you like?

-T
Old 30th November 2015
Lives for gear

comp

Quote:
Yeah, the Orion is great value for money, but it isn't a great DAC by any means. THD is quite high.

I've also found that using it as master clock for the HEDD degrades the HEDD and puts side bands in. So I run the HEDD as master... If I could afford 32ch of Burl mothership - I'd get that for mixing.

For mastering - my plan is HEDD+Solaris DAC longterm... Have other DACs here - mostly evaluation board ones... Burr-Brown PCM1798 etc.

The four comps are:
  • Elysia Xpressor
  • Buzz Audio Essence (pair)
  • Rockruepel Comp.Two
  • KuSH Tweaker (running as a test, unlinked, one unit so left then right pass)

Which letter do you like?

-T

I like B the most, followed by A. I don't really like the others.
I take a guess that B is the RR...
Old 30th November 2015
TRW
Lives for gear

Interesting. What don't you like about the others?

Cheers
-T
Old 30th November 2015
TRW
Lives for gear

To get the comments opening up:

A = KuSH Tweaker pair (discrete VCA, a bit crunchy but wanted to see if it could hang with the Dangerous or the Vertigo in anyway whatsoever at mild settings...)

B = Buzz Essence pair (I personally love these).

C = Elysia Xpressor (solid middle)

D = Rockruepel Comp.Two (I like how tight this box is)

-T
Old 30th November 2015
Quote:
To get the comments opening up:

A = KuSH Tweaker pair (discrete VCA, a bit crunchy but wanted to see if it could hang with the Dangerous or the Vertigo in anyway whatsoever at mild settings...)

B = Buzz Essence pair (I personally love these).

C = Elysia Xpressor (solid middle)

D = Rockruepel Comp.Two (I like how tight this box is)

-T

Have been interested in a pair of the tweaker for some parallel slam. like 10% blend dirty fat compression. Think they can do that sort of thing?
Old 30th November 2015
TRW
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3030club View Post
Have been interested in a pair of the tweaker for some parallel slam. like 10% blend dirty fat compression. Think they can do that sort of thing?
Truth be told, I hoped the tweaker would be FAT when it crunches. But unless you feed it that super dark 70's vibe that Greg seems to design for, it's a tiny bit brittle when it crunches up. Eventually the VCA goes south and the subs do get a good rinsing, but the edge until that point is bright to me, or at least forwards.

So if you are taking some already bright/modern sounds into it, it's more crunchy that fat. The compression action is wide open and it likes bass, but the dirt isn't fat like say tubes could be.

I got it for a kick/snare bus and it's cool. But this mastering test was more to see if it could hang there also, otherwise I'm considering a pair of Titans instead of a 2nd Tweaker... so deal with super punchy kick/snare buses and also sit equally well in a mastering context as well.

It's quite hard to find gear that straddles both fences with no compromise... The vertigo can do it, but big monies!

-T
Old 30th November 2015
TRW
Lives for gear

However, yes the tweaker is quite cool smashing up in parallel...

I can pass some files through if you want towards the weekend maybe but am super busy this week!

-T
Old 1st December 2015
Lives for gear

comp

Quote:
Interesting. What don't you like about the others?

Cheers
-T

edit:

yesterday I was working and I couldn't focus properly.
In fact I like most A follow by D.
Don't really like B (too boomy), and C (kind of confusing-maybe the conversion,don't know)
Anyway It really depend on what settings are made cause sounds can radicaly change, of course.

Best
Giu
Old 1st December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Giuseppe, I'll check them out. BTW, I did like how your release setting fit the tempo of Mix2.

Hi, that was the fix automatic mode, the Rel setting was fine but not the Att, too fast..
The others samples are saying much more of the DM21..

So far I think I personally like the TSC more than the others Valve comps, the TMC is beautiful but I think is too much sounding, TSC is just perfect!

On the VCA side I recon DM21 stands.
RND MBP is also very good ( I had it in the past ), Tweaker is impressive.

What do you think?
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria View Post
Hope you'll enjoy.

Hi Giuseppe,

I can hear some more weight in the newer samples. Overall, the DM21 sounds really clean and manages higher GR quite transparently. I must admit though, with tools like Kotelnikov around these days, clean and transparent doesn't excite me so much in the analogue domain. I'd rather invest in a little magic dust and mojo.

I think I agree with you about the TSC though. At least in these samples it tends to sit nicely between the clean and ultra characterful comps.

I appreciate your contributions to the thread.
Old 2nd December 2015
TRW
Lives for gear

Yeah I'm really drawn to how open that DM21 comp is... super detailed in gain reduction... The tweaker was almost as detailed but a bit grittier...

What did you find impressive about the tweaker Giuseppe?

Also intrigued SmoothTone as to what you liked about C - the xpressor?

-T
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Also intrigued SmoothTone as to what you liked about C - the xpressor?

-T
Well, unfortunately you told me what the comps were before I got to listen and I'm quite fond of Elysia gear, so it was possibly just expectation bias. From memory though it was a slightly fuller, warmer sound while staying firm which is what I'm looking for in these samples - something to use with harsh/cold sounding mixes.
Old 2nd December 2015
TRW
Lives for gear

Haha sorry, just thought it was easier to let you know!

I find the Elysia stuff solid sounding, for want of a better word. It's clean but not thin or lean, keeps body in and the comments from people about stereo image being narrow, aren't so much true to my ears, but more that it keeps the centre so solid that it sounds more triangular there, but the sides are still happening...

It's just a bit twitchy... that was mostly with very heavy gain limiter engaged to somewhere around 1-2dB...

-T

Last edited by TRW; 2nd December 2015 at 05:06 AM..
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:

I find the Elysia stuff solid sounding, for want of a better work. It's clean but not thing or lean, keeps body in and the comments from people about stereo image being narrow, aren't so much true to my ears, but more that it keeps the centre so solid that it sounds more triangular there, but the sides are still happening...

It's just a bit twitchy... that was mostly with very heavy gain limiter engaged to somewhere around 1-2dB...

-T
Your description matches my experience as well.
Old 2nd December 2015
Quote:

I find the Elysia stuff solid sounding, for want of a better word. It's clean but not thin or lean, keeps body in and the comments from people about stereo image being narrow, aren't so much true to my ears, but more that it keeps the centre so solid that it sounds more triangular there, but the sides are still happening...

-T
I wanted to love the expressor, 500 series, but I found the release to be a bit nervous sounding. And in terms of box tone it's essentially no where to be found, which can be a good thing if one needs that level of transparency. It's a great company and their high end line of gear is nothing short of amazing. Perhaps the rack mount version is better than the 500 series due to having a better power supply. I have had this experience with other gear...
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

Unfortunately, some of the earlier uploads are gone. Could you upload them again?
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumi View Post
Unfortunately, some of the earlier uploads are gone. Could you upload them again?
I'm expecting a tubecore sample in the next day or so then I will upload all the files in a single package.
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm expecting a tubecore sample in the next day or so then I will upload all the files in a single package.
Great, thank you!

I've currently got an STC-8, two Pendulum Quartets and a SOC 1.1 (and an ADL 1500, but that's a different story), but unfortunately not much time atm.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search