The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mastering Compressor Comparison (Audio Samples)
Old 21st September 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
I'm selling some of my gear, including this :

SPL Audio SPL Iron
You're selling your Iron!?

The thing you're building sounds interesting. What tubes are you basing it around?

BTW, I just got a new PQ and this is very much due to those files you posted in the monster EQ thread years ago, so thanks!
Old 21st September 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
You're selling your Iron!?

The thing you're building sounds interesting. What tubes are you basing it around?

BTW, I just got a new PQ and this is very much due to those files you posted in the monster EQ thread years ago, so thanks!
You're welcome smoothtone, I'm really glad you got yourself a PQ, a purchase you really can't regret

Yeah I know that really sucks for the Iron But as I mentionned in the classified I need some cash for some expenses in my house that really cannot wait any longer...and as I'm also building that Varimu aswell, it will "replace" the Iron, so to speak...But I will definitely miss it a lot...

Anyway about this Varimu it's based on the 6BA6 pentode at the input (equivalent to the famous 6386 twin triode) and followed by a cascade of 12au7's for the driver and the output section (All "nos" tubes).
Also the power supply is all tube, rectifier, voltage regulator etc so it's quite some work tbh, hopefully I'll be ready to post here soon
Old 21st September 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
Anyway about this Varimu it's based on the 6BA6 pentode at the input (equivalent to the famous 6386 twin triode) and followed by a cascade of 12au7's for the driver and the output section (All "nos" tubes).
Also the power supply is all tube, rectifier, voltage regulator etc so it's quite some work tbh, hopefully I'll be ready to post here soon
Sounds great Adrien. Looking forward to hearing it.
Old 22nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Ok, so the full fileset is now hosted here: Mastering Compressor Comparison

I have included some of the more recently posted samples. I also re-did my Pure Mu samples because the settings in my previous ones were a little bit silly. I updated the 2500 files as well.

@ Riccardo , if you could edit the link in the OP at the top of the thread to point to this new URL, that would be great. If you could also remove the "latest update..." text and paste the below complete list, that might be helpful to newcomers to the thread.

Quote:
ADT Audio
Airfield Liminator
API 2500
Buzz DBC
Buzz Essence
Buzz SOC 1.1
Buzz SOC 2.0
Chandler Germanium
Compex
Crane Song STC8
Dangerous Compressor
Dave Hills Titans
Dramastic Obsidian
Dynax
Electronaut M97
Elysia Alpha
Elysia Expressor
Elysia Mpressor
Fairman TMC
Fairman TSC
FCS P3S ME
FCS P4S ME
Focusrite Red3
GML 8900
Greg Hanks Design BA-660
Gyraf G22
HCL Varis
HCL Varis Blueface
IGS Multicore
IGS Tubecore
Knif Pure Mu
Knif Vari Mu II
Kush Tweakers
Manley SLAM
Manley Vari Mu
Mercury 66
Neve MBP
Pendulum ES-8
Pomchild 670
QES Variable Gm
Requisite L2M MkII
Rockruepel CompOne
Rockruepel CompTwo
Shadow Hills Dual Vandagraph
Sknote Leso
SSL
Thermionic Culture Phoenix
Vacuvox
Vertigo VSC-2
Cheers,
Dom

Last edited by SmoothTone; 22nd September 2018 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: Added L2M
Old 22nd September 2018
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Will do as soon as I get a moment. In the meantime here we go with the Requisite files, hopefully the link works fine... busy weekend....

Requisite LM2 MKII
Old 22nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
Will do as soon as I get a moment. In the meantime here we go with the Requisite files, hopefully the link works fine... busy weekend....

Requisite LM2 MKII
Gorgeous!
Old 23rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Requisite LM2 MKII
Very nice results! I especially like the 10 to 1 ratio on that EDM track. Keeps the kick and everything very nicely in check without changing the overall tonality all that much and what little it does change in tonality I actually prefer!

Nice.
Old 23rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It is indeed gorgeous. There's a real effortlessness to it. There's also a nice smoothness and warmth that I'm thinking might be more than just the compressor (it's there on the ES-8 and VSC files too). What converters did you use Riccardo?

Anyway, the overall effect did something really nice to Mix3 and might be my favourite for that one.
Old 23rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:

Requisite LM2 MKII
Ok I am in LOVE with that Requisite...SO effortless, exactly. It's relaxed, and "big" at the same time. Love what it does to the low end in exemple 1. Wow, one of the best of all the thread for me
Old 24th September 2018
Quote:
I agree it would be great to have the L2M, VT7 as well as the G24 and even the Pollock. I reckon the latter two would be harder to show their range in static samples.
Nice to see this thread firing up again.
Word!
Old 27th September 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yes we definitely need that Pollock to shime in

Although there is a nice video done by Chris here :

YouTube

And btw price drop people :

SPL Audio SPL Iron
Old 21st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Hey All, thanks for all TONS of useful files so far.
I've hopefully added some that will also help....POM's Fairchild 670mkII, Elysia Mpressor, Al.so Dynax 2 and my newer Thermionic Mastering SB comp. Here's a link: Dropbox - Link not found
I didn't have much time so I whizzed through them. The Mpressor is very squashed. Anyway see what you think.... The Dynax is usually more for fun but it's interesting to hear it in this context.

So far from all the choices I really like the Knif, the TMC and the Vertigo but I suspect I may already be more than covered in these areas...
Hi Paul, could you update the folder again? interested to hear it, thanks!
Old 9th November 2018
Lives for gear

Little bump with BM C502V and Pure2 ADDA loop - settings: 1.5ratio, 2dbGR, Attack Medium, Release Auto, SCF80hz, SSL mode.

WeTransfer

Enjoy
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Keeping this going with the Hendyamps Pollock via Lynx Hilo.

Two files here...

Smooth mode with style 1 and colour 1 settings. So flat eq box tone, triggers/applies compression on full range.

Aggressive mode with Style 2 and colour 2 settings. So a slight boost in the high box tone, triggers from full range but applies compression to only mids and highs.

Haven't driven the unit and not a ton of compression going on. The VU meter on this thing is just a guide so can't give any figures.

Obviously, there are a ton of variations with this thing so I won't go through every different scenario. No attack, release or ratio. All very much program dependent and can vary a lot depending on how all the modes are working together. The "dry/wet" knob allows you to 'limit' the amount of compression it does. Takes a while to get to know each other but becomes very intuitive and quick to work after a short while.

Dropbox - Pollock Mastering Test Files - Simplify your life
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomaster View Post
Keeping this going with the Hendyamps Pollock via Lynx Hilo.
Added
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

G24

Gyraf G24 is here finally: WeTransfer

Three variations:

Gyraf G24 FEEDFORWARD.wav
Gyraf G24 FEEDBACK_FASTER-RELEASE_HIGHER-RATIO.wav
Gyraf G24 FEEDBACK.wav

Jakob E.
(yes, I'm affiliated with that company..)
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
Gyraf G24 is here finally: WeTransfer

Three variations:

Gyraf G24 FEEDFORWARD.wav
Gyraf G24 FEEDBACK_FASTER-RELEASE_HIGHER-RATIO.wav
Gyraf G24 FEEDBACK.wav

Jakob E.
(yes, I'm affiliated with that company..)
Finally! Sounds great, thanks for adding.

Love the fast release / higher ratio on the electronic track. Nice groove.

Cracking comp.
Old 5th February 2019
Gear Maniac

that Vacuvox is astounding.

its got the punch, control, sheen, and imaging of all the best of the rest. Now to sell some of my body organs
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Pand Sound Mastering View Post
Yes it seemed to better fit that song with low bias. Such a handy feature...and that's the strengh of the Iron imo, LOTS of handy features in order to fit the material.
Hi Xpand. Have you ever had anyone plug in their sampler or drum machine directly into the Iron? I was thinking about using gentle compression from my MPc or Ensoniq output before it gets in my DAW
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d00ppl View Post
Hi Xpand. Have you ever had anyone plug in their sampler or drum machine directly into the Iron? I was thinking about using gentle compression from my MPc or Ensoniq output before it gets in my DAW
Hey there, well if your MPC or other gears you want to plug into are balanced it's perfectly faisable. Because the input/output are "opamp debalanced design" there shouldn't be any issues with impedance whatsoever so not trouble with the frequency response (the tube / transformer path is after all that). If they are unbalanced it's faisable too, but I'd recommend using short cables not to pic to much noise from your connections.
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

The compressors include:
Hey Dom, I did a quick pass with my new entry Unfairchild MKII.

Settings:
Feedback mode
No HPF
Unity Gain
No more than 1db GR at the highest peak
Attack 36ms
Release 200ms
DC Threshold (which regulates knee) middle position
Included Link and Unlink mode passes
All settings the same for both mixes

Included the loop ADDA only with Solaris and AD+.
Hope you will enjoy this

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b7ypl18pt...R42ME-O1a?dl=0

Last edited by Giuseppe Zaccaria; 25th May 2019 at 01:00 AM..
Old 16th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria View Post
Hey Dom, I did a quick pass with my new entry Unfairchild MKII.

Settings:
Feedback mode
No HPF
Unity Gain
No more than 1db GR at the highest peak
Attack 36ms
Release 200ms
DC Threshold (which regulates knee) middle position
Included Link and Unlink mode passes
All settings the same for both mixes

Included the loop ADDA only with Solaris and AD+.
Hope you will enjoy this

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b7ypl18pt...R42ME-O1a?dl=0
Thanks G!
Interesting, despite the converter differences etc. it is definitely in the same sonic family as the POM Fairchild ii. Both great value replicas.
It'll be interesting to see how the Stam with the BA6A tubes competes. I'd be surprised if they can stay balanced for a long while.
I wouldn't mind buying an unfairchild too.
I want a Knif Vari Mu ii as well though.
Old 17th July 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I want a Knif Vari Mu ii as well though.
Be sure to listen to the Pure Mu as well. I had both and kept the Pure Mu due to its more pleasing tone. The VM2 is great, but a bit more transparent.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr View Post
Be sure to listen to the Pure Mu as well. I had both and kept the Pure Mu due to its more pleasing tone. The VM2 is great, but a bit more transparent.
Are you basically saying that the Pure Mu has more of a tone of its own than the Vari Mu II?
Old 17th July 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Are you basically saying that the Pure Mu has more of a tone of its own than the Vari Mu II?
Yep, especially when the input gain is pushed. There’s a beautiful depth and mid energy that emerges and often times no GR is needed. It is much easier for me to determine whether it should stay in or out and it’s in 75% of the time.

The VM2 has an amazing hifi sound and a very useable envelope, but I always thought it was too tame sounding, especially for a tube compressor. I wanted it to make more of a tonal statement when engaged so when I heard the pure mu I fell in love and decided to sell the VM2.

I do miss the MS and double VU of the VM2, and you could argue that I got rid of the more flexible box, but for me analog is about tonal enhancements that digital can’t yet realize, so I have no regrets.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr View Post
The VM2 has an amazing hifi sound and a very useable envelope, but I always thought it was too tame sounding, especially for a tube compressor. I wanted it to make more of a tonal statement when engaged so when I heard the pure mu I fell in love and decided to sell the VM2.

I do miss the MS and double VU of the VM2, and you could argue that I got rid of the more flexible box, but for me analog is about tonal enhancements that digital can’t yet realize, so I have no regrets.
Well, good to know as I do mostly acoustic and classical and thus expect the VM2 to be the better choice for me. And fortunately I have one, but was never able to compare directly to the PM. I am a big fan of the M/S option and the other extras. Pushing the input circuit works very well indeed and gives that golden lining to the music that is so well appreciated by classical clients. More tone and lower transparency would be killing for that purpose. Glad I know now.
Old 17th July 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
More tone and lower transparency would be killing for that purpose. Glad I know now.
Agreed, for classical music and other purist acoustic material the VM2 is the better choice IMO.

Btw since you have the VM2, you kind of already know the sound of the PM. They both that refined and tasteful Jonte Knif sound, but the PM is a touch wild compared to the very well behaved VM2. Like brothers from another mother.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search