The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mastering software
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Head

mastering software

Trying to find out what the best mastering software would be. I know very little about the subject. I know there's no substitute for a good M.E. but I'd like to learn & be more self sufficient . . . .

I got hold of a copy of Peak 4 but need to figure it out/get manual etc. Generally looking for what can be downloaded/blagged/borrowed etc.

I was told good things about voxengo. they have a lot of free plugins to download on site-would they be used in asociation with a mastering prog?

been working with logic on mac. but if needs be could probably get to use a pc if required for software (voxengo stuff seems to be 4 win only).

(the music is old school r&r/bluese if that's significant )

any thoughts appreciated
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Addict

The Search function is your friend.

You might want to check HERE!

Or HERE!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivedoor View Post
I know there's no substitute for a good M.E. but I'd like to learn & be more self sufficient . . . .
I'm not a mastering engineer but for this purpose I found the concept of the Ozone plugin quiet nice.
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/

Andreas
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear

I just read a long thread on iZotope Ozone.

iZotope oZone

Seems, that but for few, everyone seems to like something about it. Some hobbiest/budget market MEs like the packages. A number of higher levels MEs like at least one particular feature.

Without a debate on its particular merit, I would like to ask, considering its price ($199), is there another plugin that would be considers a "full-featured mastering program better for the price or maybe $100 more?
Old 10th January 2008
Here for the gear

i LOVE T Racks
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Trying to find out what the best mastering software would be. I know very little about the subject. I know there's no substitute for a good M.E. but I'd like to learn & be more self sufficient . . . .

I got hold of a copy of Peak 4 but need to figure it out/get manual etc. Generally looking for what can be downloaded/blagged/borrowed etc.

I was told good things about voxengo. they have a lot of free plugins to download on site-would they be used in asociation with a mastering prog?

been working with logic on mac. but if needs be could probably get to use a pc if required for software (voxengo stuff seems to be 4 win only).

any thoughts appreciated
I think you should try seeking out some help from someone who knows what they are doing first so you can pick up on all the basics to mastering and get yourself heading in the right direction.

Once you learn what typically needs to be done with mastering, you will know what tools you need to look for. Its that simple man.

The hard part comes when you must learn to use those tools for acheiving great results.
Old 10th January 2008
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:

any thoughts appreciated
Before you do anything else buy Bob Katz's book on Mastering and read it cover to cover. Most if not all questions about mastering will be answered in a very professional way. As to plug ins....download the demo's and see what you like or don't like about them.

Best of luck!
Old 10th January 2008
Gear Nut

We created Wave Editor specifically to bring "high-end" features into an application that's affordable to everyone. It comes with iZotope's 64-bit SRC and MBIT+ dither, fully supports RedBook CD burning, exports DDP, supports Audio Units (Ozone, Universal Audio, T-Racks, et al), etc.

Audiofile Engineering - Wave Editor

FYI, Wave Editor requires Mac OS X 10.4 or 10.5.
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Foust View Post
We created Wave Editor specifically to bring "high-end" features into an application that's affordable to everyone. It comes with iZotope's 64-bit SRC and MBIT+ dither, fully supports RedBook CD burning, exports DDP, supports Audio Units (Ozone, Universal Audio, T-Racks, et al), etc.

Audiofile Engineering - Wave Editor
Please to do not post links specifically designed to exclude 33.2 of the browser in use today.
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsmith View Post
Please to do not post links specifically designed to exclude 33.2 of the browser in use today.
huh? is the .2 because Lynx renders the text Ok but none of the graphics? Works fine in Firefox on Windows and Safari on OS X.
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaksguy View Post
i LOVE T Racks
There is nothing wrong with T-Racks as far as I'm concerned. It works well as a channel strip application in the mix *(esp drums). I've also used the multiband limiter, which is a nice touch. It's not the best for final processing, however I find it's fine if you want to squeeze a decibel or 2 from a different source.

I'll always plug Ozone's multiband stereo expander. That thing is beautifully sensitive. One small increment of adjustment makes a world of difference. You can really craft the field of a sound with it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search