The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vlado Meller rocks.....
Old 17th January 2007

Verified Member
Vlado Meller rocks.....

SO I had Vlado Meller master the first single with this rock band I'm producing and mixing.
I really like Vlado's 'tone'. It's smashed to the moon and back....but what rock band isn't these days.
I've attached an MP3 so y'all can hear the result. First 30 sec is mastered, other half is my raw mix.

Check these waveform out to.....

Attached Files

clipMP3.mp3 (2.86 MB, 4883 views)

Old 17th January 2007
Gear Head

Vlado has certainly been on the receiving end of some heavy criticism but the bottom line is he delivers what his clients want and he is very in demand.

A great ME and individual.
Old 17th January 2007
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Don Lidell rocks!
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Nut

vlado is a class act

super aware and knowledgeable
obviously killed it on that track
super pro
congrats
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Someone has to have guts to clip so hard... lindell - you didn't pay, didn't you?
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Ouch ... It´s almost hurting ... Was it meant seriously or just as a (bad) joke ?
Old 17th January 2007
Airwindows

That's not very hot for Vlado. You're actually satisfied with it? He didn't clean up the tizzy highs very much, and he's a lot quieter than usual. If all you wanted was that, ask me next time. I seriously thought the clip was gonna be him going to -6dfFS again, which is definitely harder to do properly.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Head

vlado

vlado is a bad ass mo fo, has been for a long time.

c.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Maniac

the detailed pic is just scary!

Can't wait to listen to it through some decent speakers (laptop is not really a good reference).

<edit>
I checked the detailed pic in wavelab. This shows me a different picture then above. The top of the peaks aren't that flat, there's still some micro dynamics.
Old 17th January 2007

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
... lindell - you didn't pay, didn't you?
Oh yeah I did..... $495 /hour
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Have you guys AB'd the before & after at the same volume level?

I did, & took note that although the verse is at a lower level in relation to the intro compared to the original due to the level/clipping, IMO the tone was improved. He added a bit more snap into the kick in the intro & shifted the focus from the low end to the mids/guitars in the verse. the top end is a bit spacemonkyish but that's most likly due to the mp3.

My observations are subjective, but in know way does this example reflect total destruction that should warrent an ...Oh mY!!...type of rection.
although the fees should!!

Ed
Old 17th January 2007

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed littman View Post
the top end is a bit spacemonkyish but that's most likly due to the mp3.
yeah, the MP3 screws up the top end quite a bit. Also the waveforms looks different when converted to mp3.

I dig the tone/snap to.....
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Here is my version for 1/5th the price: http://www.puretone.nl/Vlabla.mp3

Lol.

Alistair
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I think the master sounds good the snare and kick sound more snappy to me which i like. I don't think its that loud compared to a lot of records today. I thought it was a good production to start with and the master makes it sound stronger

i like it
Old 17th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by aivoryuk View Post
I think the master sounds good the snare and kick sound more snappy to me which i like. I don't think its that loud compared to a lot of records today. I thought it was a good production to start with and the master makes it sound stronger

i like it
totally agree!!!!!

and Vlado is not only a great mastering Eng, is a cool guy too!

I love what he did with the song ...sounds with more consistency a much better low end and more energy!!!

I love the song, great guitar and awesome singer!!!Great job Lindell!
I would love to hear all the song!! really awesome tune and cool strings!!!
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
I really like Vlado's 'tone'. It's smashed to the moon and back....but what rock band isn't these days.
The mix and the music are the big accomplishment here. Meller is good but you're giving him too much credit for having a unique sound. And that master is not smashed much by the standard of say, Audioslave or Californication. I'd guess he does what people want ... service, more than a "sound".

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Here is my version for 1/5th the price: http://www.puretone.nl/Vlabla.mp3

Lol.

Alistair
Yea, I know it's a fun treat to pay for famous names, but how much does the public really hear? For much less I'd have sent you these (at nearly the same level - to make comparison easy)

from your mp3 - a
from your mp3 - b

It's cool you're happy but many people here could master this well mixed music very well.

Last edited by lucey; 29th January 2007 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: removed the offending $ part
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
I know it's a fun treat to pay for famous names, yet for $80 I'd have sent you these (at nearly the same level - to make comparison easy)
I'd have paid eighty bucks for those.

FWIW, I prefer the first of the three...

Nice job, Brian.

Though, Lindell, if you're happy, and the band's happy, then... everyone's happy, aren't they?

Cheers,

bdp
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendondp View Post
FWIW, I prefer the first of the three...
I agree, yet I tend to make options ... for conversation.

Quote:
Though, Lindell, if you're happy, and the band's happy, then... everyone's happy
absolutely thumbsup

I meant no disrespect to the master .... if anything, I'm saying that the mixer is over doing his praises.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Hey, he got what he wanted from the engineer he wanted it from [at a price that he was obviously comfortable paying].

Sounds like it all worked out.

BTW. I believe there is a seperate sub-forum for shameless self promotion, etc. Why don't we keep it there so the rest of the forum can have some class and professionalism. I'm sure nobody here would want Vlado calling their clients and offering to do the same project for $20.00 an hour.

Lindell, congrats. Glad you like what Vlado did for you.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Maniac

whats the name of the band i really like the song I'd like to purchase it when its available
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear
promotional stuff left aside, vlado's sounds the most brutal in the strong part. also he really accentuated/made louder the first chord there that it feels like a sudden attack. psychologically that's what stays...
lucey's sounds good overall and for sure better in the soft part...

cheers
istvan
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
The mix and the music are the big accomplishment here. Meller is good but you're giving him too much credit for having a unique sound or talent. And that master is not smashed much by the standard of say, Audioslave.

I know it's a fun treat to pay for famous names, yet for $80 I'd have sent you these (at nearly the same level - to make comparison easy)

from your mp3 - a
from your mp3 - b
from your mp3 - c kick and meat up

I'd have to agree with Chris in saying you have other places to peddle your wares. Also doing a master after having heard the the Vlado's in advance makes for an unfair advantage so you can hardly call this a shootout.

But despite this I prefer Vlado's version anyway.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher View Post
I prefer Vlado's version

Cool song Lindy, nice work buddy.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Man. What a cheap shot!!
Listening to someone else's master, then trying to improve it,
and dispalying results and discussing costs in a public forum.
Basically, slapping the original mastering dude in the face.
then having the audacity to say that Vlado is a cool dude. Hilarious!!
maybe try and use some tact next time and use private messaging.
this is a forum to better the cause of mastering, not to sell your studio services
on line.
Vlado made choices on the day that may have been influenced by factors
you're unaware of. And besides, the master sounds ok, what's the issue.
Everyone talks of the perils of making hot masters, but when it comes down to it,
insecurity kicks in, and the loudness war continues. Hilarious!!!!!!
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterer View Post
Hey, he got what he wanted from the engineer he wanted it from [at a price that he was obviously comfortable paying].

Sounds like it all worked out.

BTW. I believe there is a seperate sub-forum for shameless self promotion, etc. Why don't we keep it there so the rest of the forum can have some class and professionalism. I'm sure nobody here would want Vlado calling their clients and offering to the same project for $20.00 an hour.

Lindell, congrats. Glad you like what Vlado did for you.
Precisely what I was thinking. Thanks for saying that.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
mutual satisfaction is important

it doesn't sound as bad as it looks, but I still think it is unnecessary to do it to such an extreme, in my world this is just wrong ;-|

cool strings in the beginning btw
Old 18th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by aivoryuk View Post
whats the name of the band i really like the song I'd like to purchase it when its available

Yeah I like it too!!
Is hard to find heavy Rock bands that impress me!!
REALLY GREAT BAND AND SINGER!
AND THE PRODUCTION IS COOL TOO!!
Can you post the whole song????? is that possible??
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Guru

Prefer one or the other processing pass as you will ... yet the mix and music are most of what people will hear when listening to any of these links.

A thread that's talking about how unique a guy is, how much he charges, and how he has 'a sound' ... is fair game for a counter argument. I provided that argument in a clip ... made from an mp3, mind you.

As far as using the Vlado clip as a reference, reference clips are totally normal. There's nothing easy about matching that level or those details, actually takes more time. I would have made it a little louder and what I'd consider 'better' if self-promotion was the goal.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I would have made it a little louder and what I'd consider 'better' if self-promotion was the goal.
of course, of course. you're doing this for our education.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Addict

Very nice mix.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search