The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I have to pull away, probably next 8 months
Old 27th November 2007
Lives for gear

bob, any chance you could give us a brief run down as far as new content goes? i loved the first edition!
Old 27th November 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Wow--I guess I was one of the first kids on the block to get it.

You guys should order more from Amazon--they've got me profiled to a tee.
Old 27th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbreak Music View Post
Wow--I guess I was one of the first kids on the block to get it.

You guys should order more from Amazon--they've got me profiled to a tee.
Oh man, I've got stories to tell about the things that Amazon recommends.

One of my friends was recommended "The Gay and Lesbian Guide to College Living". He is neither gay, lesbian or in college. I only have to wonder what his other purchases were that influenced Amazon to make that assumption.
Old 27th November 2007
Lives for gear

Argh! Dammit Bob. I was going to go out to dinner tonight instead, but I'm ordering your book instead! I never buy second editions of books if I own the first one, but for yours I'm making an exception!

Congrats on the book!
Old 27th November 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
Oh man, I've got stories to tell about the things that Amazon recommends.

One of my friends was recommended "The Gay and Lesbian Guide to College Living". He is neither gay, lesbian or in college. I only have to wonder what his other purchases were that influenced Amazon to make that assumption.
Don't let him lie to you. All I get are prog rock cds and engineering books. heh
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Maniac

Hahaha, that's what I call reactivating a thread...

Bob, expect some new orders :-)

Your book is great....

I love the engineer being female in the book..

There are just not enough women in our profession..

I mean who is able to name famous Mastering, Mixing Engineers or Producers that are women?

And who is buying more records? Women or Men? Who is seeing more concerts?

This would make a good new thread: Women in Audio
Old 29th November 2007
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric View Post
bob, any chance you could give us a brief run down as far as new content goes? i loved the first edition!
Oh, are you giving me a big opening! But this thread title is too deceiving.... Oh, I guess everyone looks for new messages anyway.

Here's a brief rundown, there's of course a lot more:

Chapter 1 (No Mastering Engineer is an Island) has been greatly redesigned to reflect the changes in the way people listen, which seems to have degraded the typical home listening experience. Yet still I find a way to predict how and why high fidelity will return to the home by around the year 2010. You'll have to read the book to find out why I think so :-)

In addition, in Chapter 1 I go into far more detail on how a DDPi master is created and the ingredients therein, and about quality control procedures.

Chapter 2 (Connecting It Together) has been revised to show the use of monitor controllers such as the Avocet and the Crookwood as well as different ways of patching it all together.

Chapter 4 (Wordlengths and Dither) explains things a little more clearly and includes a discussion of dithering at high sample rates.

Chapter 5 (Decibels) includes an expanded section on intersample peak meters and oversampled metering as well as a discussion on "The miracle of floating point" and how it relates to interconnection between plugins as well as to the outside world of fixed point.

Chapter 8 (Equalization Techniques) includes a few "new" tricks on finding an equalizer frequency that are real handy if you have a keyboard and good relative pitch.

Chapter 12 (Noise REduction) is expanded, describes the need(s) for noise reduction in greater detail and includes examples of Cedar Retouch and Algorithmix Renovator.

Chapter 13 is now called "Top Processors" and includes an eclectic list of "mastering quality" processors and now includes some plugins as well.

Chapter 14 (How to Make Better Recordings in the 21st Century) has been greatly rewritten for clarity and explains the rationale behind using a calibrated monitor level control and how you can use it to great effect and to avoid overcompressing without having to look at a meter. We also have found the REAL reason why the CD loudness race went so much further than the analog or LP loudness race, the REAL reason why CD levels went up almost 20 dB in 20 years! We describe the difference between loudness normalization and peak normalization...

Chapter 15 is now called "Monitor Setup and Calibration" and explains this process for stereo and 5.1 in much clearer detail, as well as providing acoustical measurement techniques. Without trying to turn you into an acoustician, but rather a knowledgeable enough engineer so that when you hire that acoustician, you know what he is talking about.

Chapter 16. Additional Mastering Techniques, has a lot of new information as well as reorganizing older information that had been previously scattered in the book. And includes a new section on the obligatory "How to make it Louder when you have to". With all the caveats that needs.

Chapter 18: How to Achieve Depth and Dimension in Recording, Mixing and Mastering has become, in my opinion, a must-read. It now more clearly explains the Haas effect, what to watch out for when attempting to take advantage of it.

Chapter 19: Surround Mastering. Is entirely new, and consists of interviews with some of the finest surround sound mixing and mastering engineers, who reveal their techniques and some secrets.

Chapter 21: Jitter. Again, completely rewritten and explains the rationale and the issues behind the need for master clocks, internal versus external even better than in the first edition.

The Appendix has been revised with more information on Radio Ready with regards to satellite and digital radio, revision on file formats for stereo and surround, Need for Speed, a new set of benchmarks on file systems and server speeds.

Yada yada yada.

Take care,

Bob
Old 29th November 2007
Sounds great Bob!
Hope it sells well, I might even get a copy if I can find some money.

Eck
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Addict

Cheers, Bob. I really enjoyed the first edition. 2nd Ed. on the way.
Old 30th November 2007
Gear Maniac

bob

cant leave ,cant mix without you,cant leave ,cant master any more..
good lock
iman hojjat from iran
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for Jesus

Looking forward to your new book !

now get back to work heh

Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear
MATAATS2E-BK, 7 copies at Powell's Tech Books

The new 2nd edition (large paperback) is available in Portland Oregon @ $39.95. I hope that this edition stays in print for a long time.

Had to buy a copy. I hope BK gets a nice fat royalty check from Focal in Q2 of 2008.

Cheers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search