The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
computers in machine room Synchronisers/Clock Generators
Old 30th August 2015
Lives for gear

computers in machine room

I had a leakage in my studio (no equipment was harmed) and so my studio floor needs to be removed and now that the floor needs to be open, I was thinking of doing some upgrades as well.
Right now my DAW (PC) and a mac mini for MFiT masters is in the studio itself, but i'm thinking of moving them outside of the room, which will be about 7/8 meters away so the cables will be somethink like 10 meters long.
No problem you might think, but i'm a bit worried about a couple of things.
I'm using a lynx hilo, connnected with USB and I don't think it's a good idea to use a 10 meters long USB cable so I will probably need a usb extender. For keyboard and mouse, no problem, but for the lynx hilo i'm afraid to run into problems with latency, dropouts and things like that.
Anyone familiar with doing this?
Old 30th August 2015
I've had real problems trying to run the Hilo on any USB a able longer than a couple of meters, even when using a powered extender. I have a feeling my imac's USB card is a little damaged, though, so YMMV. You could maybe look into the Thunderbolt card for the Hilo instead, if you have TB on your machine?
Old 30th August 2015
Gear Guru

Verified Member
My mentor's machine room is about 50 feet from his studio and he runs everything on CAT5/6 extenders and has not had any problems at all. He is running both a large audio console (Fairlight) and HD video to his studio. Not sure if this would work for you. The whole "extender" thing has gotten a lot more user friendly and affordable in the past few years.

Best of luck!
Old 30th August 2015
Ouch, I wish you best of luck doing that also ! I remember I had big problems running the hilo on my Laptop. Then I realise I wasn't using the "stock" usb cable that was included with the Hilo, but a really longer cable actually...Although the usb cable I was using was working really fine with everything else, only by using the stock usb made it work properly again... so yeah this card doesn't seem to like changes, at least mine. Now maybe you could upgrade to the thunderbolt port for doing this ?
Old 30th August 2015
I've been looking into this solution for long USB and Thunderbolt cable runs, seems to get good reviews so far.

USB 3.Optical™ - Optical Cables by Corning

Anyone have any experience with these?
Old 30th August 2015
Lives for gear

I'm running a PC based DAW, so no thunderbolt.
It sounds like it's not a good thing to do, so maybe contact Lynx about it first? Or does someone else have real-life experience with it?
Old 30th August 2015
Does the Hilo has to be in the studio? Maybe you can have it also in the machine room?

As far as I understand there is a remote app for Hilo.
Old 30th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
Does the Hilo has to be in the studio? Maybe you can have it also in the machine room?

As far as I understand there is a remote app for Hilo.
I also use it for my analog loop and I want the audiolines to be as short as possible. So i'm afraid that is not an option.
Old 30th August 2015
Old 30th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by da goose View Post
I'm running a PC based DAW, so no thunderbolt.
Linked was/is a USB 3.0 or 2.0 optical cable that supposedly works great for lengths up to 50 meters, it's not simply a long usb cable.

It works only with self powered devices, but should work perfectly. The reviews have it working flawlessly with the thunderbolt 2 version, which is considerably more bandwidth. I have no experience with it, so I was hoping I can find someone else to try it out first!

Old 30th August 2015
After talking to the guys at Lynx I bought a good quality 5m USB cable and have had no issues whatsoever. 5+ m cables are not giving reliable setups as far as they told me. Good luck with your works!
Old 30th August 2015
Lives for gear

i took a hint from hardcore video gamers, and just built a completely silent computer...
Soundproofed case, NO fans, liquid cooled... The only noise it ever makes is if I eject the cd tray...
Old 31st August 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
All the best finding solutions that work for you, Jeffrey

I would love to make a machine room here, but it'll have to wait until I have a full-on studio extension. Although I could have a 'pod' built off one of the external walls (the main building here is wood-framed and shouldn't be hard to modify) I recently changed (Mac) or had rebuilt (PC) both computers and have been surprised at how far the acoustic noise floor has reduced. Unlike the previous Mac Mini the new iMac is essentially silent, and after I tinkered with the SADiE PC's BIOS settings to trade off CPU temperature against fan speed a pleasing level of calm descended.

The noisiest fan in the room is now that in the TC 6000 mainframe: it should be one of the quietest (the Trinnov ST-2, essentially a UNIX PC, makes no appreciable noise for example), so at some point I'll clean the TC's fan or replace if necessary.

Last edited by lowland; 31st August 2015 at 03:55 PM..
Old 31st August 2015
Gear Nut

If your PC is noisy, making it (almost) silent is easy and inexpensive.

https://www.endpcnoise.com/

My (unmodified) MAC Mini is pretty quite too.
Old 31st August 2015
Lives for gear

My PC is allmost 100% silent (ssd, passive cooled, good psu etc), but the thing is that it's also in a closet (to make it 100% silent) that sits in my studio behind the desk. I want to get rid of it because of reflections and things like that.
Have to find a different solution I guess, long usb cables don't feel right.
Old 31st August 2015
Gear Nut

Ah, I see.
I actually like a little ambient noise, more real world.
Too quite makes me uncomfortable.
Ears ringing, digestive activity.............
Old 31st August 2015
Lives for gear

i had to find a solution too 3month ago for my new studio und use a usb3 repeater and a powered usb3 hub - works great.
Old 1st September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
i had to find a solution too 3month ago for my new studio und use a usb3 repeater and a powered usb3 hub - works great.
That sounds like good news! Could you please share the brand/type of the extender?
Also posted my question on the lynx forum and got this reply back from them:

That is a bit long for a USB cable, cable quality would certainly be of primary concern.

A USB extender is a good idea, other customers have used those with success in the past.
Old 1st September 2015
In post #10 there is a link to a USB cable that in essence is a extremely good repeater. The USB plug is a micro optical encoder/decoder powered by the USB source and receiver.

Down side; they are very expensive and only work with self powered devices.

Up side; the technology has been tested to 100m with 4X USB 3.0 bandwidth. Should be a simple elegant solution. The reviews are quite promising.
Old 1st September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
That sounds like good news! Could you please share the brand/type of the extender?
Also posted my question on the lynx forum and got this reply back from them:

That is a bit long for a USB cable, cable quality would certainly be of primary concern.

A USB extender is a good idea, other customers have used those with success in the past.
Roline USB 3.0 Kabel (A - A, 5m, Schwarz, Repeater)
TP-LINK USB 3.0 Hub mit 2 Ladeports (7Ports)

it havn't work on every usb3-port of my pc, maybe some repeater and some boards didn't work good together.

the hub need to be manualy switched "on" after a power shoutdowm.
Old 1st September 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
But your converter is connected via AES not via USB, right?

My DAW is also not located in the mastering suite, but I use AES as well.
Old 1st September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
But your converter is connected via AES not via USB, right?

My DAW is also not located in the mastering suite, but I use AES as well.
i connected my mytek with rme using aes/ebu, but the reason is not usb3 (who can be really fast), it's just that i like the rme hammerfall dsp - very good drivers, great routing possibilities.
Old 2nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broyhillio View Post
Linked was/is a USB 3.0 or 2.0 optical cable that supposedly works great for lengths up to 50 meters, it's not simply a long usb cable.

It works only with self powered devices, but should work perfectly. The reviews have it working flawlessly with the thunderbolt 2 version, which is considerably more bandwidth. I have no experience with it, so I was hoping I can find someone else to try it out first!

I asked for a quote and testversion of this cable at a dealer quite nearby, so I will keep you guys posted about this.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broyhillio View Post
I've been looking into this solution for long USB and Thunderbolt cable runs, seems to get good reviews so far.

Anyone have any experience with these?
I got myself this cable (quite expensive) and the lynx hilo is not even recognized and I tried different approaches.
Because I need to extend my keyboard and mouse as well, I also ordered a pretty simple active usb extender as well (about 1/5th of the price) and that works like a charm! I tried it out for a day now and rocksolid. The Corning cable will be returned and I simply get another one of those cheap, but working expanders.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

What extender did you get? I'm currently in the same situation with the hilo and computer room. Thanks!

Last edited by GP_Hawk; 10th September 2015 at 03:46 PM..
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl View Post
What extender did you get? I'm currently in the same situation with the hilo and computer room. Thanks!
The brand is 'delock we move the world' and the box says 'cable USB 2.0 extension 10m active'
Old 12th September 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks da goose. I ended up ordering a couple of THESE
I have cat6 cable left over so I thought I would put it to good use.
Old 14th September 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl View Post
Thanks da goose. I ended up ordering a couple of THESE
I have cat6 cable left over so I thought I would put it to good use.
Interested to know if this works. I tried the same adaptors a couple years ago with an audio interface and couldn't get it to work. The adaptors are USB 1.x only i think.
There are newer USB 2.0 ethernet adaptors, and maybe they'll work with audio interfaces but I haven't seen specific model adaptor reports either way.

Last edited by walter88; 14th September 2015 at 07:47 PM..
Old 17th September 2015
Lives for gear

Still waiting on these to arrive...
Old 18th September 2015
Quote:
I got myself this cable (quite expensive) and the lynx hilo is not even recognized and I tried different approaches.
Thanks for saving some trial and error with the optical cable!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search