The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any speculations on the Chandler CurveBender as a Mastering EQ Equalisers (HW)
Old 8th January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Any speculations on the Chandler CurveBender as a Mastering EQ

First off all Best Wishes for 2007 for everyone ...

Well, should be arriving soon in the shops ... anyone did use it ... can you give you're impression(s) ...

Will it be an interesting mastering EQ ??? .... Will it be Massive Passive like ....
Am I the only one ..thinking about this unit ...
EQ steps only 1 dB .....

regards Wim

www.inlinemastering.com
Old 8th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm looking forward to hearing it too. I would guess that it will compliment the Massive Passive, not a lot of redundencies.
Old 12th April 2007
Gear interested

I have Curvebender SN11. It sounds great. The only problem is that the right channels Highpass filter POPS loud and doesnt pass signal at 200Hz. I have to send it back but dont want to wait again.
Old 13th April 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
From my memories of using a TG console, the EQ was more of a 70s MOSFET vibe. Very smooth but not as warm as the Massive Passive. Quite broad as well.
Old 13th April 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl View Post
Will it be an interesting mastering EQ ??? .... Will it be Massive Passive like
Curve Bender has powerful bass. I didn't hear such a bass from anything as far. It has also nice shelves, it's enough to touch here 2dB and there 1dB and the sound is noticeably better, but you don't feel like you've worked so much on it, so it may be frustrating if you like tweaking (I was). I think it's just perfect for mastering especially if you don't like so much work.

I've made some examples and put it on a High-End forum, they were better or worse. It's a very broad eq, but you can make it sounds more narrow on the edges without problems. I just used this EQ a lot just yesterday, so here is another example of eq-ing with CB. You will hear exactly what it is doing, especially with bass. There was SMC 2B and STC-8 after the EQ.

http://www.masteringcafe.com/test/cb_before.wav

http://www.masteringcafe.com/test/cb_after.wav

I didn't hear MP, but I can compare to Gyratec which is maybe simmilar. Units are not quite different, both have colour, though not the same. When you tweak with Curve Bender, you feel it's vintage. But in general it produces modern powerful sound. That's weird feeling and hard to describe. With Gyratec, you can't add very much overal power to the track, just add colour here and there.
Old 13th April 2007
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
I had the chance to try it but it was on a show floor.
There is no doubt it is a very nice Eq. I would say that its purchase would very much depend on what you already have.
It is a quality piece IM(limited)O
Old 5th July 2007

:-)
Attached Thumbnails
Any speculations on the Chandler CurveBender as a Mastering EQ-cb1.jpg   Any speculations on the Chandler CurveBender as a Mastering EQ-cb2.jpg  
Old 5th July 2007
Gear maniac

thanx for the pics yareck!!
Old 6th July 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I took the curve bender through it's paces a week ago. I was very excited to try this EQ out, unfortunately I was disappointed. It's not based on the design of the original TG curve bender, it's based on the TG console EQ, which would work for mixing but has some major limitations for mastering. It sounds nothing like the TG mastering EQ.

The beauty of the TG console for mastering was the frequency choices and the fact that each of the 4 bands could be shelving, or peak/dip with 4 selectable curves ranging from broad to sharp. The sound was smooth, and each frequency was based on C, making it very musical. The Chandler unit differs from this- there are only shelves on the top and bottom bands, the Q is set to broad with a 1dB gain or sharp with 1.5dB gain. The frequencies are based on the mixing console, and you are left with a limited choice, that IMO are not ideal for mastering.

The sound to me was very similar to the germanium EQ which are much better value. Although you could describe it as vintage, I wouldn't say smooth vintage, it's sharper and tighter than say the MP but I wasn't all that impressed. Powerful bass yes, nice bite in the top end, initially not bad to try out...then I ended up bypassing it every time. Obviously this is subjective. 1dB steps were too much, and the Q range too limited. Why only shelving on the upper and lower bands? That defeats the purpose of a 'curve bender'!

By all means try this EQ out and decide for yourself. I just don't get what all the fuss is about. An ITI 230 or an API 550M smoke the curve bender at a much lower price.
Old 6th July 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yareck & Ben F ..

thanks for you're responses and time .. keep them coming .... it's hard to get a demo overhere .... but I think it won't be my first choice for a demo ...

unit looks good inside .... maybe it will devolop into a "mastering-version" in the future .. not everything has to be right at the first time ...
Old 6th July 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
I took the curve bender through it's paces a week ago. I was very excited to try this EQ out, unfortunately I was disappointed...
Yes it has weaknesses and strong points however.... after using it 2 months I know some more facts, I would rather not re-sell it. I thought about it, but I would rather miss it. Here are some fresh observations.

1. The bass is powerful but not for every kind of music. It works extremaly good with rock/guitarish tracks, but not really with electronica which I mostly work on. I've found my 2 other eq's I have left (RED2, Gyratec) more useful for this.

2. I was dissapointed with cutting, but after some time I've found that I was wrong. Cutting 1,2 dB, even 5 dB sometimes, at any frequency widely removes unwanted things, making it cleaner, more powerful without negative effects, however personally I still like more cutting with RED-2 (with that warm & modern stamp left).

3. High shelf is unbeatable, unlike with every other EQ I've heard, it sounds here without ANY negative effects...and although you can't add 16kHz in a Pultec style, there are some other tools for this.

4. In many situations this is the right EQ for the material... you can do wide corrections, but without loosing power and clarity. Track doesn't sound like dumped, but it also doesn't lack character, that's the good thing, that needed few weeks to be deserved.

Like someone said here, buying it highly depends from what you already have. I use it in 50% cases and when I use it, I'm satisfied. It just simply works fine with my other EQs....and after some weeks of tweaking I sold my Millennia NSEQ-2. It was very clean EQ, I think useful, however I think I feel better with more character eqs... besides I've found that 4 eqs was rather too much...
Old 6th July 2007
Lives for gear

The Abbey Road engineers and chose the Desk eq because we thought it sounded superior to the Mastering EQ. I have a cherry pair of the Mastering Eqs and would pick the Curvebender EQ everytime.
The CurveBender uses Germanium transistors while the Mastering EQ uses a silicon amp the same as in our TG1, TG2, and TG Channel. It all depends on your taste....

There were no FETs in any EMI circuit I have ever seen.

We can make switches with just about any step size you want. We made .5db steps for Calbi at Sterling Sound and for Michael Brauer. Good thing about that is that you can still use the multiply switch to get more boost and cut as needed.

Cheers
Old 6th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Wow Wade! I had no idea that was how those looked inside. The workmanship of your company is as good as it gets. Sorry for the semi-hijack.
Old 6th July 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade goeke View Post
The Abbey Road engineers and chose the Desk eq because we thought it sounded superior to the Mastering EQ. I have a cherry pair of the Mastering Eqs and would pick the Curvebender EQ everytime. Cheers
This is true, it's a great mastering eq, however... it takes time to work with it and discover this simple fact... unlike with some other obviously sounding EQs... I believe that some people may be dissapointed after few hours of demoing.
Old 6th July 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks man! We make everything like that and I wouldn't have it any other way!!!
:-)
Old 8th July 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yareck View Post
This is true, it's a great mastering eq, however... it takes time to work with it and discover this simple fact... unlike with some other obviously sounding EQs... I believe that some people may be dissapointed after few hours of demoing.

I respectfully disagree with you. I believe that after a few hours they'll see how great it is. It takes no time to work with it. They are just EQ's, what's the learning curve on turning a knob? I love the curvebender. I didn't buy eq's for years until Wade started making some and I have a nice assortment of his that each have a completely different tone and character. I use the curve bender just for equing the stereo buss to the tape/HD machine and it's the best mastering eq i've ever heard for my needs. I let calbi play with my prototype for a week and he wouldn't give it back. The only changes we asked of wade was to turn the 1X into half steps and do the same to the gains. MHB
Old 8th July 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
The Abbey Road engineers and chose the Desk eq because we thought it sounded superior to the Mastering EQ. I have a cherry pair of the Mastering Eqs and would pick the Curvebender EQ everytime.
The CurveBender uses Germanium transistors while the Mastering EQ uses a silicon amp the same as in our TG1, TG2, and TG Channel. It all depends on your taste....

There were no FETs in any EMI circuit I have ever seen.

We can make switches with just about any step size you want. We made .5db steps for Calbi at Sterling Sound and for Michael Brauer. Good thing about that is that you can still use the multiply switch to get more boost and cut as needed.

Cheers
Strange then that EMI never incorporated the desk EQ in the mastering console. I'm looking forward to William Bowdens review in Audio Technology- since he owns a TG and every other EQ known to man.

Look it's just a case of horses for courses, Wim asked for an opinion and I gave mine. I'm sure there are many other happy customers.
Old 8th July 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHB850 View Post
I respectfully disagree with you. I believe that after a few hours they'll see how great it is.
This is nothing to disagree, I also believe that some will do. I guess it depends on taste and what you really expect from an eq. From the first look I thought it has a lot of character, and this was first (and last) dissapointment, because it has rather gentle character. Finally I've found it prettty useful as balanced mastering EQ which allows very easy to raise the punch of the track, so therefore it works very well with other eqs those have more on character side but just can't keep the punch.

Quote:
It takes no time to work with it. They are just EQ's, what's the learning curve on turning a knob?
If you have more than one eq maybe you would want to get some magic out of them. That's what mastering customers mostly expect. So these eq have to work one with each other. This is not the problem to just turn the knob, but to learn how to make it really useful inside of the hardware set.
Old 10th July 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
This is nothing to disagree, I also believe that some will do. I guess it depends on taste and what you really expect from an eq. From the first look I thought it has a lot of character, and this was first (and last) dissapointment, because it has rather gentle character. Finally I've found it prettty useful as balanced mastering EQ which allows very easy to raise the punch of the track, so therefore it works very well with other eqs those have more on character side but just can't keep the punch.

If you have more than one eq maybe you would want to get some magic out of them. That's what mastering customers mostly expect. So these eq have to work one with each other. This is not the problem to just turn the knob, but to learn how to make it really useful inside of the hardware set.
gentle character is not how I would describe this EQ, it has a ton of attitude, that's why I bought it. As far as magic, well... I can tell you that the 16k brings up the magic air. I use it as a mastering EQ and I've been using it every day since it arrived. The midrange has great depth and the bottom end at 91hz adds amazing character to a track...but again, you're right it's a taste thing. It works great for me. MHB
Old 11th July 2007

Quote:
gentle character is not how I would describe this EQ, it has a ton of attitude
You should listen to Gyratec G14. I know it's almost impossible to demo it in US though... stike
Old 11th July 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
You should listen to Gyratec G14. I know it's almost impossible to demo it in US though... stike
thanks for the tip, i'll make some calls. michael
Old 12th July 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Yeah I'd love to try this eq. Would you say it's similar sound to the Massive Passive?
Old 12th July 2007

Quote:
Yeah I'd love to try this eq. Would you say it's similar sound to the Massive Passive?
I still haven't tested MP. From what I've read about Massive, it can be broad, has great mids and has not so clean highs/lows. Gyratec is not the broad tool that's the main difference I think. It's overally very punchy eq, with a lot of character/colour, VERY open sounding. It has very good lows, mids and highs. There are no weak frequencies. After 1 year of use I can say I use it for:

1. adding colour when "something is missing" at certain frequency (mostly 1-6 kHz). MID band and HIGH-MID band work different way. MID-HIGH band has more open top, so if you add for example 2KHz on MID band the effect is different like you were boosting the same on HIGH-MID band. Just like you have 2 another eqs - very creative.

2. adding highs 10-16Khz, perfect, much better than NSEQ-2.

3. adding punch (20-200 Hz) - boosting 150Hz produces pure punch without mudiness, this is really special, very useful.

4. cleaning by cutting frequencies around 200-400 Hz - works very well

5. Removing too much highs around 14-16 Khz - very neutral sounding without side effects.

I DO NOT USE it for:

1. Very broad corrections - I use Curve Bender for this. Gyratec does not have shelves besides.

2. Cutting frequencies near 100-150Hz, 5-8kHz - I use Red2 for this. However the Gyratec also cuts bass very well.

I don't know if mids in Gyratec can be compared to mids in MP, but I rather think these are 2 different kind of tools. Anyway Gyratec is VERY SPECIAL tool, really highest quality. There is another mastering studio here in Warsaw that has MP, I could call this guy and we could make a test. We'll see if that would be possible...
Old 15th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Strange then that EMI never incorporated the desk EQ in the mastering console. I'm looking forward to William Bowdens review in Audio Technology- since he owns a TG and every other EQ known to man.

Look it's just a case of horses for courses, Wim asked for an opinion and I gave mine. I'm sure there are many other happy customers.
The Curvebender was never designed to replace the EMI Mastering EQs. It was designed to be a four band eq.
It seems like you are looking to cause trouble. You posted the same things on another curvebender thread.

Im confident in the Curvebender. Pete Cobbin who is the head engineer at Abbey Road has used the TG desks on Beatles Anthology and also remixed the entire John Lennon catalog had final approval of the design and worked closely with me on the design.
Since Abbey Road has more TG equipment than anywhere in the world and has had TGs in use everyday since they was introduced in the 60s, I think they know what they are talking about when it comes to TGs...

Why is it that I dont know about this review and you do?
Old 15th July 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Wade, I'm not looking to cause trouble. It's just an opinion posted on a forum about gear. I'm just not into hype, that's all- Beatles or no Beatles it doesn't really change my opinion about the sound. Other people can make up their own mind.

As for the review in in Audio Technology, you would have to ask the Australian distributor about it. They are a very reputable magazine and William is one of the most knowledgeable engineers out there. Adam at our mastering studio has also reviewed the Zener limiter.

Regards,

Ben
Old 15th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wade, I'm not looking to cause trouble. It's just an opinion posted on a forum about gear. I'm just not into hype, that's all- Beatles or no Beatles it doesn't really change my opinion about the sound. Other people can make up their own mind.

As for the review in in Audio Technology, you would have to ask the Australian distributor about it. They are a very reputable magazine and William is one of the most knowledgeable engineers out there. Adam at our mastering studio has also reviewed the Zener limiter.

Regards,

Ben
Thanks Ben. I appreciate your kind response!
Got an email from William last night actually about the review :-)
Old 26th March 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm just not into hype, that's all- Beatles or no Beatles it doesn't really change my opinion about the sound.

Ben
From the bio you wrote on your myspace:

I was promoted as a Mastering Engineer/Assistant at the now legendary Studios 301 Mastering, originally a descendant of the EMI Abbey Road studios in London. Here I learnt further skills from the best Mastering Engineers in the country, using some the finest equipment ever made, such as the EMI TG console that was used to record the Beatles and Pink Floyd during the 1970s.

Glad you Googled who Wade was after you were half way through the discussion....

Why do I even read anything on this forum? I'm just trying to get on-point ideas about this EQ and there are 2 people trying to be helpful and the rest just pissing all over everything.
Old 2nd April 2011
PBM
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
From the bio you wrote on your myspace:

I was promoted as a Mastering Engineer/Assistant at the now legendary Studios 301 Mastering, originally a descendant of the EMI Abbey Road studios in London. Here I learnt further skills from the best Mastering Engineers in the country, using some the finest equipment ever made, such as the EMI TG console that was used to record the Beatles and Pink Floyd during the 1970s.

Glad you Googled who Wade was after you were half way through the discussion....

Why do I even read anything on this forum? I'm just trying to get on-point ideas about this EQ and there are 2 people trying to be helpful and the rest just pissing all over everything.
Hello Garrett - Just noticed this post - also just noticed that a review I wrote for this EQ is on their web-site. As it says, I liked it a lot: gorgeous broad strokes and sweetness; but if you want a few more details of how it worked and how I heard it at the time feel free to contact me off-list.

Cheers,

Eric

Last edited by PBM; 2nd April 2011 at 09:41 PM..
Old 26th March 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
The Curvebender was never designed to replace the EMI Mastering EQs. It was designed to be a four band eq.
It seems like you are looking to cause trouble. You posted the same things on another curvebender thread.

Im confident in the Curvebender. Pete Cobbin who is the head engineer at Abbey Road has used the TG desks on Beatles Anthology and also remixed the entire John Lennon catalog had final approval of the design and worked closely with me on the design.
Since Abbey Road has more TG equipment than anywhere in the world and has had TGs in use everyday since they was introduced in the 60s, I think they know what they are talking about when it comes to TGs...

Why is it that I dont know about this review and you do?
Hey Wade,

Old thread I know but I must tell you I recently got a curvebender, and am very very impressed by it. As all your gear really my ltd2 compressors are one of the few constants in my rack as well, the curvebender enjoys the same favour. I would have to disagree with some saying this eq is not great on electronica. In my experience with it it does tend to slow down transients yes how ever I get a lot of poorly produced techno to "fix" and it seems that often its just the right thing. Subjective as these things are it boils down to personal tastes and expectations.

Great work, cant wait to try your rs124
Old 28th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Broduer View Post
Hey Wade,

Old thread I know but I must tell you I recently got a curvebender, and am very very impressed by it. As all your gear really my ltd2 compressors are one of the few constants in my rack as well, the curvebender enjoys the same favour. I would have to disagree with some saying this eq is not great on electronica. In my experience with it it does tend to slow down transients yes how ever I get a lot of poorly produced techno to "fix" and it seems that often its just the right thing. Subjective as these things are it boils down to personal tastes and expectations.

Great work, cant wait to try your rs124
every serious mastering engineer need a "slow"-eq
i love my gyraf 23 for this, should maybe listen once to a curve bender

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search