The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
will anything ever beat waves L3 ? Dynamics Plugins
Old 5th August 2015
Lives for gear

will anything ever beat waves L3 ?

seems like no matter how many new limiter or maximizers come out nothing can beat L3. whenever I try / demo any other plugin limiter I always keep coming back to waves L3-16 and L3-LL limiters. most of the time it's L3-LL in "loud and proud" or "extreme analog" mode.

for those of you who are very familiar with L3, do you prefer any other limiter / maximizer ?
Old 5th August 2015
Lives for gear

With Pro-L, Elephant 4 and even Limiter No.6, L3 never gets a look-in here.
Old 5th August 2015
Old 5th August 2015
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Waves L3 is so "yesterday. Clients use to ask if we had one before scheduling a session. Today it never happens. Too many other ways of achieving the same thing.

FWIW
Old 5th August 2015
Lives for gear

for real?
Old 5th August 2015

i think its been way surpassed.
Old 5th August 2015
Oh, the pro-l is much better than the l3! I own the l3 too but I always use our jünger d02 (analog and digital limiter with an outboard processor) or the l2... I don't know why I'm so used to the l2 but I like it!
Old 5th August 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
What else have you tried? The L3 was an instant disappointment when it came out 10+ years ago.
Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
PSP Xenon, Fab Filter Pro L and Ozone 5 Limiter are much better in my opinion!
Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

ozone's limiter:
seems to destroy audio too much (very audible limiting effect).

Pro-L:
didn't try for too long.

Oxford Limiter:
works great when need super loud master but works for tracks / songs that don't ahve quiet parts cuz it crackles on quiet parts.

still I find L3's loud and proud release settings very transparent, punch and loud. and 'extreme analog' in case I need sort of pumping effect a little.

oh I also tried slate fg-x.
I actually liked it more than L3 on alota stuff but it's such a cpu hog and buggy. and I don't longer have a demo..

also tried waves L3-16:
but didn't mess a lot with it cuz it's very easy to destroy the signal with it but if spend alota time with it it probaly can get more louder and transparent than L3-ll and slate fg-x ?
Old 6th August 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
ozone's limiter:
Ozone Limiter has a LOT of settings. If it destroyed your signal, you chose the wrong settings or the material was out of balance. With the right settings this is one of the most transparent limiters of today.

Quote:
Pro-L:
didn't try for too long.
You should give it another try. It's another great tool for transparent limiting.

Quote:
Oxford Limiter:
works great when need super loud master but works for tracks / songs that don't ahve quiet parts cuz it crackles on quiet parts.
Not my favorite, but still very good. If it crackles, you probably haven't set it up right. Is it possible that you went a bit overboard with the enhance parameter?

In my book the L3 is the complete opposite of transparent. When in action, it audibly alters the frequency balance in an unpredictable fashion which I absolutely dislike.
Of course this can fit the material, but still it is not what I would call a transparent limiter, like not at all.
Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I never liked L3 from the off either.

It's one of those processors that looks as if it should work really well but just sounded crap to me. Never gave it the time of day after that first test when it came out.

Cheers

Conundra
Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
ozone's limiter:

Pro-L:
didn't try for too long.

Oxford Limiter:

still I find L3's loud and proud release settings very transparent, punch and loud. and 'extreme analog' in case I need sort of pumping effect a little.

oh I also tried slate fg-x.
I actually liked it more than L3 on alota stuff but it's such a cpu hog and buggy. and I don't longer have a demo..

also tried waves L3-16:
but didn't mess a lot with it cuz it's very easy to destroy the signal with it but if spend alota time with it it probaly can get more louder and transparent than L3-ll and slate fg-x ?
Just reverse that order and you are getting somewhere.
Old 6th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_degree View Post

In my book the L3 is the complete opposite of transparent. When in action, it audibly alters the frequency balance in an unpredictable fashion which I absolutely dislike.
Of course this can fit the material, but still it is not what I would call a transparent limiter, like not at all.
Exactly my thougts...
Old 6th August 2015
Gear Guru

Verified Member
The L-3 is anything but transparent. If it does what you want then use it. Plugins are tools and different people use tools in different ways.

I think the Fabfilter ProL is one of the most transparent limiters available today. I also like the PSP Xenon, Elephant 4 and Ozone 6 Limiter for what they can do for different types of music.

Use what works best for you and your clients would be my advice.
Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
fabfilter pro-l and psp xenon either in companion or solo, depends on the project,
i am very happy with how it 'does not sound' in my hands, when properly set up
l3 suxx [email protected] big time as most of waves products, maybe l2, 10-15 years ago - yeah...
Old 7th August 2015
Lives for gear

Loving the new ik stealth limiter... It's like some Harry Potter witchcraft
Old 7th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_degree View Post
Ozone Limiter has a LOT of settings. If it destroyed your signal, you chose the wrong settings or the material was out of balance. With the right settings this is one of the most transparent limiters of today.
Absolutely, Ozone is the Dogs B's
But if you don't know what you are doing,any limiter will destroy the end result.
Old 7th August 2015
Gear Addict

The L3 made a huge fuss when it came out. I was very disappointed by it. I cannot imagine that it handle the competition today very well.
Old 8th August 2015
Lives for gear

I use L3 in a bit of a weird way - i don't care for the multi-band options, but if you set it to the wideband ARC profile it works nice on some thing's, it's fake wideband and sounds a tonne better than L2. But otherwise don't care for L3/3-16. Tend to use Pro-L, Xenon, or Elephant way more.
Old 8th August 2015
Lives for gear

Everything beats the L3.

i think the L2007 still beats the L3

Ozone 4 , 5, 6 beat it.

proL beats it...

z
Old 8th August 2015
Lives for gear

I think the wideband L3s can be a bit hit and miss. With the Multi and L3-16, it's a case of with power comes responsibility. But I feel it's possible to get mixes that sound less subjectively squashed for a given LUFS loudness measurement than with most other limiters.
Old 8th August 2015
Lives for gear

The thing is the multiband limiter is a bit of an odd concept, obviously if you're desperate for a bit of extra RMS it might help find it. But as the last on the master chain, this is exactly where the mix should be perfect, so it seems a bit odd to put on a multiband process which will change the frequency balance of the mix. A limiter will affect anything, but at least with a wideband it will affect everything in one hit rather than fiddling with your mix you've worked so hard on.
Old 8th August 2015
Gear Addict

Used it once...

...never opened it again. Maybe it has its place, but not in the genre I master.
Old 11th August 2015
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Loving the new ik stealth limiter... It's like some Harry Potter witchcraft

The stealth limiter is unlike anything out there right now. I A/B'ed it against the Fab Pro L and the Voxengo Elephant V 4.0 and Xenon. It sounds completely different. I was using WL 8.5.3 and just switching between all the limiter that were setup pretty much the same in the master section. I still maintain that the Pro-l is the most transparent but the Stealth is not bad at all interms of transparency. I down loaded the demo version of the Stealth so I have 14 days to make up my mind.

Let us know what you think about the Stealth.
Old 19th August 2015
I love the L3, and the L3-16

The multi is killer, and Linear Phase. (The LL is not linear phase)

I think people that have issues with it often don't fully grasp how it's designed. (I AM NOT POINTING FINGERS AT ANYONE HERE OR ADDRESSING ANYONE POSTING!!!)
Not a hard plugin to learn, and once you understand it (easy), it's amazing.

It's great to really get meticulously dialed in to your source.... PRIORITY is very very important, and I think that's what a lot of people miss, or misunderstand.... if you don't understand how to properly operate that (in combination with the rest of it) then you're better off using something else cause you can quickly do more harm than good. That's the beauty of it.... it's such a powerful plug when you know how to use it as intended.

I can get really crazy with it, push into it harder than any other limiters I have, and yet stay more dynamic. That's where it shines. BUT, have your priority settings off, and you're gonna butcher things quick.

When I don't need to address different freq ranges differently (or as drastically), then I go to the standard L1, 2, or 3..... But, when I need it or want it, I haven't used anything else I like as much or get the same results with. It's been a life saver on loads of troubled mastering projects as well.
Old 21st August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
The stealth limiter is unlike anything out there right now. I A/B'ed it against the Fab Pro L and the Voxengo Elephant V 4.0 and Xenon. It sounds completely different. I was using WL 8.5.3 and just switching between all the limiter that were setup pretty much the same in the master section. I still maintain that the Pro-l is the most transparent but the Stealth is not bad at all interms of transparency. I down loaded the demo version of the Stealth so I have 14 days to make up my mind.

Let us know what you think about the Stealth.
Yes... Stealth is a straight up unicorn assassin... It's amazing.
Old 21st August 2015
Lives for gear

Let me add this... I started in radio and in that world hitting a finished program in l1 or a my limiter was the difference in making it pop out...

When I started recording music I brought that same thought to the mixing process and butchered untold innocent otherwise perfectly good mixes w/ limiters...

A big solid bar of audio -- no dynamics -- looks like a pair of owrfect skid marks in your bvds.

I don't do rap or edm or techno here... But from what I hear on the radio -- and sound loud -- it is clear that the loudness wars are still being fought...

Now I use a limiter -- right now IK Stealth -- to goose a couple of dbs sometimes.. But really just as a brickwall safety net
Old 21st August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Yes... Stealth is a straight up unicorn assassin... It's amazing.
+1. Stealth is pretty fantastic. I think I'm done buying limiters now.
Old 21st August 2015
Quote:
seems like no matter how many new limiter or maximizers come out nothing can beat L3. whenever I try / demo any other plugin limiter I always keep coming back to waves L3-16 and L3-LL limiters. most of the time it's L3-LL in "loud and proud" or "extreme analog" mode.

for those of you who are very familiar with L3, do you prefer any other limiter / maximizer ?
Izotope's 6 limiter is great
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search