The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kazrog KClip - how does it compare? Dynamics Plugins
Old 9th July 2016
Gear Addict

I preordered KClip 2 Pro a few days ago. Unfortunately I wasn't aware of the existence of StandardClip. That might have changed my decission. I listened to some Youtube videos comparing clippers, and KClip sounded the best.

Anyway, what I miss most in the upcoming KClip 2 is a visual guide to the level where clipping occurs. It's looks very beautifully implemented in StandardClip with the red colored spikes, but a simple bar like GClip has it would do. I find that the shown before/after version in KClip 2 is harder to interpret than these other approaches. Particularly when you use the clipper to cut rarely occuring spikes such as a too loud snare, and you wish to leave the rest of the track untouched.
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Anyone else been demoing KClip 2 Pro? The oversampling is greatly improved. See attached images.
Attached Thumbnails
Kazrog KClip - how does it compare?-kclip-1-pink-noise.jpg   Kazrog KClip - how does it compare?-kclip-2-pro-pink-noise.jpg   Kazrog KClip - how does it compare?-standardclip-pink-noise.jpg  
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric View Post
Anyone else been demoing KClip 2 Pro? The oversampling is greatly improved. See attached images.
I had a _very_ quick listen and it does indeed seem much improved. I'll do proper listening when I have some time.

Alistair
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Does anyone know how to get the 256x offline oversampling to work in Reaper? This goes for StandardClip as well. When I do an offline bounce in Reaper with 256x offline oversampling ON it nulls with the 32x bounce. Probably a setting in Reaper I'm overlooking....Thanks.
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric View Post
Does anyone know how to get the 256x offline oversampling to work in Reaper? This goes for StandardClip as well. When I do an offline bounce in Reaper with 256x offline oversampling ON it nulls with the 32x bounce. Probably a setting in Reaper I'm overlooking....Thanks.
256xOS, do you think 11MHz of bandwidth will be enough for audio waveform clipping..
Besides other goodies, maybe there is also some common sense hardcoded in Reaper..

Seriously, there is only one switch, which can possibly affect offline rendering operations with plugin-is..
It's the option.. Preferences/Plug-ins/VST/Inform plug-ins of offline rendering state
This will allow plugins to optionally switch different processing method during offline bouncing. By default it's on and it's purpose is to debug or workaround some issues - "Hey, bounced output sounds different than playback"..
If that doesn't do any change, then my guess is, processing with higher oversampling ratio simply doesn't do any change in the final pass-band.
Also it can be broken, but I won't bet on it, as you've mentioned, it's the same for both fancy clippers.
Anyway, you should definitely notice, higher OS is active by CPU consumption and longer bounce time.

Michal
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Head

I'm really liking the update, definitely an improvement. I'm having the opposite problem with the offline render in Reaper though. I can't get it to turn OFF unless I disable offline state in Reaper, the x256 button in KClip has no effect.
Old 12th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
there is only one switch, which can possibly affect offline rendering operations with plugin-is..
It's the option.. Preferences/Plug-ins/VST/Inform plug-ins of offline rendering state
Thanks, tried that. Still nulls perfectly with 256x ON or OFF (and offline rendering time is identical). Probably just a bug that needs to be ironed out.
Old 13th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Just updated it today.

It's bugging in Reaper.

At the moment I have the audio waveform screen filled with almost half of audio, the soft mode can not be switched to others styles on the fly.

Whatever Au or VST. Anyone else?

That function was what I want to listen to.
Old 13th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Oh Strange,

When I go to the option page, I can change them on the fly.

Let see what they say.
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

In WaveLab, the new waveform windows don't work, they are just blank. After some initial pushback from the developer complaining about how WaveLab is "just like that" (buggy), it sounds like he is willing to at least look at it. While WaveLab has it's challenges no doubt, this should be an easy thing to address. Not to mention there is only a VST2 version and not VST3. While VST3 might not offer any advantages in certain plugins, it's not a bad idea to stay somewhat current.

All new software is bound to have bugs but it seems that with all the reports I'm reading, it was slightly under-tested. From reading another thread, it sounds like it wasn't even tested in El Capitan :face palm:

I even offered to do some basic beta testing in WaveLab after pre-ordering the V2 upgrade earlier this summer. No reply
Old 14th August 2016
Gear Addict

Just installed KClip 2 full version. I am not very happy with it for my needs.

My main use for a clipper is to tame too high peaks in ready mixed tracks I have bought. For example a too loud cowbell in a percussion track. With the free GClip I can visually see those cowbell peaks and place the clipping so that it does not affect other instruments in the track. Not possible with KClip. Furthermore, since I have my tracks peak around -12 dB, the waveforms in the KClip window are ridiculously small and of no use at all. Why does it have to show both left and right channel making the waveforms so small. Give me a choice to choose the combined signal and enlarge it. Maybe show where clipping has occurred using a different color. As it is KClip gives me no useful visual feedback.

Also it beats me why offline oversampling is only available at 256 X. KClip is cpu heavy, so I prefer to just run at at 1 X (since 2 X and 4 X are not available). But when mixing down at 256 X it takes forever. Why is it not possible to choose the other oversampling rates for offline use? Why only 256 X?
Old 14th August 2016
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
Just installed KClip 2 full version. I am not very happy with it for my needs.

My main use for a clipper is to tame too high peaks in ready mixed tracks I have bought. For example a too loud cowbell in a percussion track. With the free GClip I can visually see those cowbell peaks and place the clipping so that it does not affect other instruments in the track. Not possible with KClip. Furthermore, since I have my tracks peak around -12 dB, the waveforms in the KClip window are ridiculously small and of no use at all. Why does it have to show both left and right channel making the waveforms so small. Give me a choice to choose the combined signal and enlarge it. Maybe show where clipping has occurred using a different color. As it is KClip gives me no useful visual feedback.

Also it beats me why offline oversampling is only available at 256 X. KClip is cpu heavy, so I prefer to just run at at 1 X (since 2 X and 4 X are not available). But when mixing down at 256 X it takes forever. Why is it not possible to choose the other oversampling rates for offline use? Why only 256 X?
You might like StandardCLIP then. It has a better (useful) waveform display with a different colour for the clipped part of the waveform. You can choose stereo or summed waveform preview and scrolling speed. It has a clip level meter (adjustable from -3 to -12 dB range). It lets you choose both realtime and offline oversampling ratios. It lets you tweak the oversampling filter settings. (Level of precision, Cutoff frequency, steepness of filter). It has a threshold setting. And it is cheaper than KClip.

Product Details | StandardCLIP | SIR Audio Tools

Alistair
Old 16th August 2016
What? for $25 box you guys judging, if this plug ins work or not, when you spend thousand in a D/A, you people have to go to therapy.
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member

Well if there's a cheaper plugin that does the same things, but even better, and more reliably, isn't it the people who buy this one that need the therapy?

Old 16th August 2016
Gear Addict

Kazrog has a 14 day money back guarantee and kindly refunded my preorder purchase of KClip 2 Pro. They have a demo too now that it has been launched.

SIR Audio has a demo of their already low cost StandardClip. I decided to go for this one instead since it does what I need.

So even with a minor difference in price, just test both plugins and decide.

KClip has a reputation for very good sound quality which I why I went for it in the first place. If StandardClip can compete with this I cannot tell. I don't have golden ears (actually nothing at all above 8 KHz). But StandardClip has all the visual and numeric feedback I need to compensate somewhat.
Old 16th August 2016
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post

Well if there's a cheaper plugin that does the same things, but even better, and more reliably, isn't it the people who buy this one that need the therapy?

Just to be clear, I was addressing the specific points that tombuur brought up. On the other hand, KClip 2 has various saturation models that might just fit one's taste. So try both and see which one fits your tastes and needs. (I own both ).

Alistair
Old 16th August 2016
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
KClip 2 has various saturation models that might just fit one's taste. So try both and see which one fits your tastes and needs. (I own both ).

Alistair
+1

A real improvement and even if I still lean slightly towards StandardClip for general use, some of the new models are really nice!
Old 16th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post

Actually I never bought this one, I got the DMG limitless, Pro L, Elephant EL4 and Ozone 5, any difference with the KClip 2 Pro not offense but the price compare some waves and other plug ins is real affordable, thanks
Sorry too much scotch last night!
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
No worries it's all good!

I love Limitless too for limiting, but find StandardClip much easier to use for clipping.
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. FYI, there have been some issues found with the KClip 2.0.0 release, and a fix is in the works. Known issues are being cataloged in this thread on my forum.

Also working on a slew of enhancements, which will be coming in free updates to KClip 2 over time.
Old 23rd August 2016
Here for the gear
It's alright, though not my favourite. Pretty good for the price, though I also have Flux Elixer registered here, and nothing quite compares to that...

Don't think I'll be using this device much. Might have better results when doing live music (like heavy metal), but for DJ music (like techno) it's not up to scratch.
Old 15th February 2018
I have both, just got kclip yesterday and I must say, I feel the opposite of the op. KCLIp is my go to clipper now. For me KCLIp sounds better and get me invisible clipping, standard Clip was a cpu hog and if pushed too much had audible distortion. I can really push KCLIp and not hear it.
Thanks KCLIp team for an awesome plugin!
Old 16th February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
I have both, just got kclip yesterday and I must say, I feel the opposite of the op. KCLIp is my go to clipper now. For me KCLIp sounds better and get me invisible clipping, standard Clip was a cpu hog and if pushed too much had audible distortion. I can really push KCLIp and not hear it.
Thanks KCLIp team for an awesome plugin!
Worth noting the OP I believe was at the time of KClip v1 which did have some significant shortfalls, during that time I preferred StandardClip. KClip 2 however is excellent and is definitely my go-to clipper right now.

Also super excited for KClip 3 to come out in April!
Old 16th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schematic_Sound View Post
Also super excited for KClip 3 to come out in April!

Thanks for the kind words, guys! In case anyone missed it:

In "sprint" mode right now, and April is a safety target. If KClip 3 can come out sooner as a totally polished release, it will. Really appreciate the patience and support from this community, as the Thomas Fire in California delayed development for a while. Everything is going smoothly now and I'm excited about finally getting this out there soon!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search