All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
mastering before and after with john dent
Old 1st January 2007
Gear Addict

mastering before and after with john dent

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/D...4&act_dpid=109

john dent talks about mastering.
from the red bull academy series.
they're long videos but full of good info and anecdotes.

enjoy, tony
Old 1st January 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks
Old 1st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaneer View Post
http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/D...4&act_dpid=109

john dent talks about mastering.
from the red bull academy series.
they're long videos but full of good info and anecdotes.

enjoy, tony
I'm the most open-minded guy ever - but the "mysterious" bit where he says he can hear the type workstation or length of cables has got to be a nervous reaction to being filmed in front of a crowd. I believe a lot of things but not that.

Phil
Old 2nd January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phild View Post
I'm the most open-minded guy ever - but the "mysterious" bit where he says he can hear the type workstation or length of cables has got to be a nervous reaction to being filmed in front of a crowd. I believe a lot of things but not that.

Phil

I too thought that was a bit over the top. Nonetheless, I do understand, a calibrated enviornment would allow one to hear better. But, to tell what cables/ workstation etc.... hmmm.., maybe pusing it a bit too far for my taste.

FD
Old 2nd January 2007
Gearslutz.com admin

Cool..

we need more this type of thing here
Old 3rd January 2007
Lives for gear

John is great, really good person to work with....if you can, I would recommend him.
Old 3rd January 2007
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Cool..

we need more this type of thing here
OK, here we go: "I can tell which limiter has been used on all these ridiculously squashed mixes that I receive for mastering!"
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaTT Dust View Post
I too thought that was a bit over the top. Nonetheless, I do understand, a calibrated enviornment would allow one to hear better. But, to tell what cables/ workstation etc.... hmmm.., maybe pusing it a bit too far for my taste.

FD
I know John through talking to him on the phone, and he did some work for a mate of mine. Not long ago he came to visit my friend and I ran into them at a fireworks party. As several people here have commented on he has some slightly controversial ideas, however he isn't the only one, there is a very famous American mastering engineer on record as saying that he can hear the difference between different hard drives! That his resume credetials are impecable goes without saying, but having seen how easily peoples ears can be fooled by even quite blatant changes I remain personally skeptical.

Regards to all

Roland
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
famous American mastering engineer on record as saying that he can hear the difference between different hard drives!
I'd agree that things can sound different... maybe even harddrives?

I moved from a Sonic Solutions over to a Sadie workstation one afternoon a few years ago and it really gave a surprise as to just how different the two were sound-wise.

back to back...the differences are perhaps audible... but i sincerely doubt that if you listened to a source "out of the blue", pressed the spacebar and boom - "This one is Cubase". I am skeptical. But stuff like this doesn't make me a 'hater". Stuff like this makes me want to check out more for myself.

I have the Kasabian record he did. John's work is good!
Especially latest Zero7.... a lathe and mix to tape was involved.

Phil
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Hear the difference between hard drives? I'd love to see that parlour trick in person. Although I have to say my Seagate seems to be a LOT louder than my LaCie. Must be the oxygen free solid silver firewire cable.

BTW Phil, thanks for the xmas present. You coulda had BK sign it for me though.

Not to be an ingrate or anything.
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterer View Post
BTW Phil, thanks for the xmas present. You coulda had BK sign it for me though.Not to be an ingrate or anything.
I thought a book would be nice for a change... my days of running guns/booze across the border are over!

I'll admit to thinking that maybe Kristin gave it to Ted....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterer View Post
Must be the oxygen free solid silver firewire cable.
Don't laugh... guess what you're getting for your birthday?

Phil

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search