The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Mastering for Beginners

Sponsored By
Options
Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post

It is a place for engineers starting out seeking advice about the fundamentals of mastering. Seasoned pros with a bit of time and...

Riccardo
replies: 0 views: 3,252
Riccardo 27th March 2016

Let me take a moment to type up a PQ primer... PQ codes refer to 2 of the 8 subcode channels P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, that run...

jayfrigo
replies: 0 views: 493
jayfrigo 12th May 2008

Is it because it is using analog compressor / gear? I tried to match those kind of volume and intensity. But i am only master...

1jordyzzz
replies: 76 views: 1,211
Karloff70 1 week ago

My question specifically pertains to workflow when preparing to send multiple tracks through a compression element of an analogue...

James Lehmann
replies: 4 views: 378
James Lehmann 1 week ago

The question is, does it make sense? I only did mastering ITB so far, but I would love to get some nice stereo eq for polishing...

Christian C
replies: 1 views: 330
Christian C 1 week ago

Hi, I've been working on a record which is just instrumental/soundtracks (it's a concept kind of thing) and all of the songs...

tridlo
replies: 3 views: 518
Riccardo 1 week ago

Did a Twitch stream today covering my hybrid in the box and analog setup mastering tutorial. I'm not the most eloquent speaker...

fuse
replies: 0 views: 367
fuse 3 weeks ago

Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on how should a spectrum analyser look on a good mixdown for general dance...

Noodlez
replies: 24 views: 15,987
CJ Mastering 4 weeks ago

What with Yanny and Lauren exploding all over social media right now, which is very similar to the Tritone Paradox that many of...

mitchiemasha
replies: 4 views: 420
mitchiemasha 21st May 2018

would like to understand the use of a compressor in mastering in conjunction with a limiter. Why isn't the limiter alone...

andy3
replies: 5 views: 596
Hermetech Mastering 13th May 2018

Kind of a newb question but this is the place to ask it, right?? I have a mastering plugin chain of 8 plugins in Logic. I have...

profvonsok
replies: 3 views: 463
CJ Mastering 12th May 2018

I'm an amateur making two-channel Blumlein recordings of a singer-songwriter who has no mic technique. In an otherwise lovely...

Mike48
replies: 8 views: 345
bitman 11th May 2018

Hey, When mastering for vinyl, how do you make cue-sheets? I'm on mac.

mister m
replies: 2 views: 348
Justin P. 7th May 2018

Hello slutz: I just recently got into mastering, and I feel like my masters are decent can definitely improve but who can't....

Mixedbyloveway
replies: 8 views: 592
chazmar 26th April 2018

this question probably gets asked a lot and i may have asked it before. i still need help. now as i get more into mastering,...

mylesp
replies: 37 views: 16,012
chazmar 26th April 2018

Hi! Hope its ok to put this in the mastering forum, but I think this is one for the trained ears.. I have Genelec 8260 as...

Rasmus Faber
replies: 19 views: 3,004
JR Mastering 20th April 2018

Hi guys :) I need to start compiling 8 of my original songs to be burned to a CD ROM. That is the easy part (burning...

jerrydpi
replies: 55 views: 1,087
SmoothTone 20th April 2018

I signed up with an iTunes aggregate called LANDR, and I intend to release music on iTunes through them. LANDR has a mastering...

tluke
replies: 4 views: 934
JR Mastering 15th April 2018

Hi all. Is "Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science" still the king in 2018?

scalawag
replies: 7 views: 558
JR Mastering 11th April 2018

I've been slowly developing my mastering techniques+ear over the past 6-ish years and last night i mastered a track (just for...

Barncore
replies: 2 views: 390

I am just wondering about the worklfow in mixdown/mastering. The physical studff to do, everything relly, I know so little about...

Grevlingen
replies: 4 views: 614

Hello guys I really need some help and some words of wisdom and tip on on this. I use a T-racks at the end of my chain, and...

aarvin2
replies: 27 views: 11,395
Sk1nZ 23rd March 2018

Do I only need to dither when I'm changing my bit depth down say from 24 bit to 16 bit for example? So for mastering I would not...

turtletree
replies: 2 views: 431
Bob Olhsson 17th March 2018

1. Is there anything wrong with using ableton to master? Where you put each song on it's own tracks in sequential order with each...

turtletree
replies: 6 views: 368
Justin P. 15th March 2018

In order to make a consistent-sounding, volume and everything, album or EP of music, I’ve seen that people master all the...

purpleduck
replies: 52 views: 2,657
TJT 15th March 2018

Hi guys, I'm looking for straight forward answers... I understand that mastering isn't simple, a good ear is required and lots...

DenversWorld
replies: 40 views: 1,042
DenversWorld 5th March 2018

hey guys i know this would sound very stupid and weird.. might be even looked like an idiot.. but is it okay to use...

babypopmusic
replies: 1 views: 379
CJ Mastering 1st March 2018

Hey guys, i recently moved from Mac to PC and i'm not digging Ableton as a DAW for mastering. Thought it might be a good time to...

Barncore
replies: 4 views: 517
SmoothTone 1st March 2018

Hi, when my track got played on the radio recently it kept dipping on the main kick drum hits. The client asked for a massive...

Christopher Bay
replies: 3 views: 450
Christopher Bay 26th February 2018

Hello. I have been making music (Hip-Hop) since around 2008 for fun, but I have always been irritated at the fact that my...

waterise
replies: 6 views: 1,170
CJ Mastering 18th February 2018

Hello fellow slutters - I've got two stupid questions that I need help with if you can: 1) My masters sound distorted on...

session bass
replies: 21 views: 620

Hi! I've got a quick question about upsampling audio. For example, if i am working on a file that is 44.1, i know the UAD...

Matt Pumpkin
replies: 12 views: 704

Noob question. Say I've got a PT Session which is recorded and mixed at 88.2/24 and I'd like to outplay to another DAW which is...

JoFi
replies: 5 views: 335
deedeeyeah 14th February 2018

Why is it that 9 out of 10 of the reference tracks I load into ozone are peaked over 0db? I'm trying to mix to a reference to an...

cnyk
replies: 5 views: 513
CJ Mastering 14th February 2018

I know this has been covered a lot but I'm still baffled. i'm mastering a Heavy Rock album I mixed and trying to get them to...

Christopher Bay
replies: 13 views: 511
MogwaiBoy 4th February 2018

I have been learning mastering as I master my e.p I got the mix as good as I can get it. Now in mastering trying to do as little...

spektor
replies: 3 views: 441
session bass 3rd February 2018

I mix and master my music solely on Ableton though I am also a Logic user and recently purchased pro-tools. I noticed that when...

nizzaaii
replies: 5 views: 1,369
teebaum 2nd February 2018

I am a 17 year old who plans to pursue music production. I have gotten better in some areas, but not mastering. I always get the...

Mikey_morel
replies: 1 views: 382
SmoothTone 22nd January 2018

Recently I recorded and mixed pieces for an album, and I mixed each piece to hit -16.5LUFS EBU128 (this was neither chamber music...

Swing
replies: 5 views: 428
Swing 22nd January 2018

Every track I export from Protools 12 to mp3 sound horrible. It sounds too flat, not like the thing I was mixing. I use a MacBook...

robofficial
replies: 10 views: 555
Riccardo 21st January 2018

This is from a 1954 recording, I am unsure of what the recording medium is. Listen to the odd pitch shifting going up and down...

hvbias
replies: 1 views: 428
CJ Mastering 21st January 2018

This prob has been done to death. I have been improving my mix skills to a point that the mix sounds as close to the master as I...

spektor
replies: 3 views: 595
CJ Mastering 20th January 2018

Hey, I suspect my audio interface is degrading my mixdowns, I'm running cubase 8.5 with a UR824. To try and make sure I've...

gbruler
replies: 7 views: 1,427
CJ Mastering 17th January 2018

Ok I have not done this in Wavelab for years and I forgot. Being working in Samplitude. I took all my songs, put them in Wavelab...

Jason rocks
replies: 0 views: 346
Jason rocks 14th January 2018

I was looking for a second, more experienced, pair of ears to listen to my simple recordings, so I had a couple of them mastered...

deejayen
replies: 4 views: 614
nverxion 13th January 2018

What should the "scope" of a track with good stereo image look...

soundmodel
replies: 7 views: 645
CJ Mastering 7th January 2018

Are there general rules as to how much bass and treble should differ in dB?` I've heard the rule "they should be peaking...

soundmodel
replies: 16 views: 732
CJ Mastering 6th January 2018

How should the 15k-20k area look like? I recognize that this area contains "bright soft noise" or it could be...

soundmodel
replies: 6 views: 784
Giuseppe Zaccaria 4th January 2018

Driving audio into +40dB clipping in iZotope RX sounds good, how to replicate this effect such that it doesn't actually clip, but...

soundmodel
replies: 4 views: 376
soundmodel 4th January 2018

When using stereo imagers, should one pass the entire track through it or slice some frequencies and then pass a band-limited...

soundmodel
replies: 4 views: 533
SmoothTone 4th January 2018

I recorded a live show with two different portable digital audio recorders. One was hooked up to the line out from the mixer, and...

eurostache
replies: 1 views: 372
cemski 1st January 2018

Hey guys, loving this forum. I'm a noob here, been mixing for a while but new at mastering. I'm going against all common logic...

joeltaylorsf
replies: 11 views: 690
Justin P. 26th December 2017

Moderators

Forum Tools
Search this Forum
Search this Forum :

Advanced Search