The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Mastering for Beginners

Options
Views: 6,734
24th November 2017
Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post

It is a place for engineers starting out seeking advice about the fundamentals of mastering. Seasoned pros with a bit of time and...

Riccardo
replies: 0 views: 2,520
Riccardo 27th March 2016

I'm curious if most of you use Ozone 8/7/6, something similar, or your own chain of plugins to Master. Please vote in the...

jerrydpi
replies: 6 views: 244
TanTan 2 days ago

I've heard a few ME's now mention that they'll use a limiter on parts of a song if needed. I'm trying to figure out when they'll...

Jonathan Race
replies: 4 views: 239
Wayne 4 days ago

I still burn CD's for my album making friends. I used to have Furio. What a great FREE program. I loved it. I think it went the...

philsaudio
replies: 2 views: 143
philsaudio 6 days ago

How often are High-pass filters being used by ME's? I thought it was something beneficial for say rock / acoustic material but...

Jonathan Race
replies: 10 views: 450
wrgkmc 1 week ago

I signed up with an iTunes aggregate called LANDR, and I intend to release music on iTunes through them. LANDR has a mastering...

tluke
replies: 2 views: 242
tluke 1 week ago

Hey guys, any issues sending a mixed audio clip to the mastering engineer at low volume? The LUFS of this track is around -25. ...

Edward Shnapper
replies: 8 views: 394
Riccardo 1 week ago

I mix and master my music solely on Ableton though I am also a Logic user and recently purchased pro-tools. I noticed that when...

nizzaaii
replies: 0 views: 177
nizzaaii 2 weeks ago

Hello Sorry for these newbie questions... I have read a lot of things about loudness but it s not totaly clear for me. How...

systo
replies: 2 views: 250
systo 2 weeks ago

Does a CD burnt with AMQR sound better in the average player then one burnt in a different mode? Does a PLEXTOR PX-716A 16x8x6...

ramar
replies: 0 views: 156
ramar 2 weeks ago

This is a thread that has links to some useful resources relating to mastering (especially for newer guys who don't have much...

Jonathan Race
replies: 1 views: 377
Jonathan Race 3 weeks ago

This is from a 1954 recording, I am unsure of what the recording medium is. Listen to the odd pitch shifting going up and down...

hvbias
replies: 0 views: 171
hvbias 4 weeks ago

I have been mixing music for about 10 years. In the past 3 years I have exponentially increased in overall sound quality and...

realstreet936
replies: 1 views: 348
smoke 4 weeks ago

Hey people, So my digital distribution company is telling me that Spotify is asking for a FLAC file of my master. Whether...

semur01
replies: 10 views: 467
mastervargas 4 weeks ago

Simple question really. If Dithering essentially adds low level noise, surely this would push us over the edge when we've already...

Jonathan Race
replies: 6 views: 304
RJHollins 8th November 2017

Hi, all, does anyone have suggestions for best ways and practices to add metadata after bouncing final tracks to wav files?...

rosewood123
replies: 4 views: 360
mastervargas 8th November 2017

Hello. I have been making music (Hip-Hop) since around 2008 for fun, but I have always been irritated at the fact that my...

waterise
replies: 5 views: 562
AllanS82 25th October 2017

In mastering a recording of vocalist and guitar, I was troubled by a scratchy quality on vocal peaks. After I switched from...

Mike48
replies: 4 views: 289
Mike48 24th October 2017

Hi! I need a bit of advice and finding so many conflicting ideas, i suppose a lot is down to preference but would like to see...

Matt Pumpkin
replies: 3 views: 401
MogwaiBoy 24th October 2017

I know this is a mastering question but the mastering forum won't let me post as I am new. So I will post it here. I am buying...

AlphaMilkRec
replies: 16 views: 1,142
jupiter8 4th October 2017

I have been studying a little here in there on RMS. It all started when I recently purchased the T racks CS stealth limiter. I...

DontaBlack
replies: 3 views: 373
DontaBlack 2nd October 2017

Hi First post so be gentle :) I am setting up as a mastering engineer, I've build a soundproof room, it's fully treated and...

Container1
replies: 4 views: 626
Jonathan Race 20th September 2017

so i have an original song im working on but the kick and the bass aren't hitting hard enough. i still have the ability to change...

neonreymun
replies: 6 views: 503
Noisewagon 18th September 2017

Hi all, I was reading an older thread which was closed, on how to deliver your mixes to the ME. What I was wondering , is...

eightysix
replies: 5 views: 461
MogwaiBoy 11th September 2017

So I finished a mix. It is guitar only and I set the peak limiter to -3dB and everything sounds decent on my VXT6 monitors but...

jaystandin
replies: 27 views: 5,460
Arthur Stone 3rd September 2017

Hi guys I have a rock mix I am working on and have everything mixed and ready for master. When I input Ozone 7 on master track...

jaystandin
replies: 8 views: 439
jaystandin 1st September 2017

I am limiting my tracks to a -.7dB ceiling. I have my threshold set so there is occasional limiting at 3dB’s maximum. And I...

Synpatico
replies: 24 views: 553
Arthur Stone 31st August 2017

Just want to know people's opinion on Aftermaster and Promaster. If you've used either of them, please share your...

energy flow
replies: 5 views: 2,817
Padrogue 30th August 2017

Yo, I started a new video tutorial series named "Under 5" where I'll be showing cool tips & tricks in a short...

CX3Music
replies: 27 views: 1,174
Analogue Mastering 29th August 2017

Hello guys, I'm curious. What famous albums have been done from start to finish (mastering) in ableton live 9? I'm a girl...

Tonnie
replies: 3 views: 565
Tonnie 18th August 2017

As many of us are fully aware, we seem to be living in an age where us mixing engineers are expected to master our own work. I...

theillusionist
replies: 6 views: 672
spektor 18th August 2017

I have a mastering job of 11 tracks for an artist. he sent two different .zip files. one with the normal mixes and another with...

JoshuaVazquezNYC
replies: 4 views: 386
JoshuaVazquezNYC 12th August 2017

Today people listen to headphones and my technique is this: Mix with monitors, mastering with monitors and then final touch with...

andy3
replies: 2 views: 494
andy3 30th July 2017

Hey, I suspect my audio interface is degrading my mixdowns, I'm running cubase 8.5 with a UR824. To try and make sure I've...

gbruler
replies: 6 views: 906
Chaos.Klaus 20th July 2017

So I just finished up mixing an album for a friend of mine and he's too much of a cheap bastard to shell out for a real mastering...

osiris1979
replies: 6 views: 1,231
stan1000 18th July 2017

hey all, I can't help but noticing that professionally mastered tracks (or at least in Pop which is what I listened to and try...

amirgelman
replies: 3 views: 754
Sunspotgrooves 16th July 2017

Hi guys, When master,ing one of the things we do is "normalize and maximize" volume. Obviously it's important not to...

chrismeraz
replies: 2 views: 415
chrismeraz 15th July 2017

yingyang --------------------------------------------------------------- What are recommended steps, for good mastering? What...

Hemaeji
replies: 2 views: 626
Hemaeji 11th July 2017

A question about best dither practices here- Dither should be performed last, after the fades that control the heads and tails...

Impurifier
replies: 9 views: 546
Bob Olhsson 8th July 2017

OK so I'm old school, I like VU meters, I'm in Pro Tools, and in PREFS I set "0 VU=-18." Based on what I've read, -18...

oceantracks
replies: 3 views: 497
nverxion 6th July 2017

Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on how should a spectrum analyser look on a good mixdown for general dance...

Noodlez
replies: 18 views: 13,561
psykostx 1st July 2017

Hi guys, im trying to find a good tecnique to master the final tracks in FL studio just using his own tools plus some other...

Khappa MJ
replies: 11 views: 964
Miles Flint 29th June 2017

I have some songs that I wrote years ago. The songs lack drums and bass guitar, which I would like to add now. The problem is,...

Paul M1
replies: 6 views: 664
Brent Hahn 7th June 2017

Hi, recently I started messing with EQ in the mastering stage badly To copy exactly like my refrence tracks It really does...

ikamy
replies: 15 views: 1,154
ikamy 6th June 2017

hi to all, please, i wish to have your comments if i have to dither or not my recordings before i burn the cd (disc at...

nikonick
replies: 12 views: 877
MogwaiBoy 6th June 2017

So I recorded my band... Drums, guitars, bass and vocals and all. I then mixed it really well - constantly referring to a...

Vesta
replies: 10 views: 975
SmoothTone 1st June 2017

Hello there! Big question this day... I need your advice for a good eq on mixbus (mastering process). To finalize my demo...

ostudio
replies: 13 views: 2,158
JP__ 18th May 2017

Hi, I am new in mastering of music. My actual quest is to master simple rock song with guitars, bass, drums and couple of...

Capponero
replies: 5 views: 599
jeandado 16th May 2017

So I am new to mastering. Have a good handle on it, a few buddies that do it very well but have never bugged them about teaching...

Hamburg58
replies: 5 views: 1,106
Hamburg58 13th May 2017

In search of a high quality, unique (out of the box) way of providing "Client's Mixes" I am not a mastering engineer...

Thrip
replies: 0 views: 482
Thrip 3rd May 2017

Hi experts. I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to mixing and mastering, so I'm not exactly sure of the direction I need to go...

itsallkosher
replies: 2 views: 475
itsallkosher 3rd May 2017

Moderators

Forum Tools
Search this Forum
Search this Forum :

Advanced Search