The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Applying Reverb on the whole mix. Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Applying Reverb on the whole mix.

I am currently mixing on a project that was recorded live with about 80,000 people in attendance. Many shotgun mics were used to record the ambience. As a result I have many pieces of small groups of people and am having trouble getting that larger than life "huge event" like sound. I'm also dealing with the fact that the event was completely outdoors and the ambience itself is rather dry and lifeless without interesting reflections. Although I've done several live mixes, I've never experimented with adding reverb to the whole mix. Does anyone have experience with this or suggestions? If so, what plugins, or hardwear units were used and how. Any tips and tricks would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Honest Abe; 13th March 2015 at 06:33 AM..
Old 26th March 2015
Here for the gear

Applying reverb to the master I've always read is a major production faux pas.

If it's a live performance, you should try to make it as honest to the live event as possible.

Proper compression, EQing and limiting should do the trick.

I would personally advise against using a master reverb track, because you're essentially senselessly and intentionally mudding up the mix.
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Maniac

I can now say that applying reverb to a whole mix works well especially for “live” type events. I’ve since (posting) done this successfully on many productions. I recommend using a reverb that works well with bass instruments and doesn’t get too boomy, however.

Last edited by Honest Abe; 4 weeks ago at 04:39 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Just use what ever works best for that specif song. There are no doo's and do-nots. No rules, just do what ever is needed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Definitely, do not put a reverb plug on your master bus!

Instead, use a send and return and pre-eq the feed to the reverb to control the bass rumble and mud. Also, choose a reverb that gives you control over tail and early reflections.
Do you have access to the Tracks before mix ? Then you 'll have a lot more options ..

I've had to do this for live to 2 tk - live in-studio and live ( outside ) concerts. The results do not sound like reverb if you get it right. It sounds like a liveliness that helps glue things together. And if the eq is right - actually helps make the track LESS muddy. if all you are getting back is a muddy mess - it's the wrong reverb. experiment ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There was a guy named Bill Miller at Capitol in the 60s who would take Beatles masters from EMI in England and add reverb to the mixes....because he felt it was a more "appropriate" sound for US audiences. And actually, as horrid overall as it might seem, songs like "I Feel Fine" sounded pretty darn nice and epic with it.

Growing up in St Louis, that's all I had heard until somewhere around 1965 when I heard a British import album of theirs, and I thought "What the hell? There's no reverb.... it's so dry and boring!" LOL
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Abe View Post
I am currently mixing on a project that was recorded live with about 80,000 people in attendance. Many shotgun mics were used to record the ambience. As a result I have many pieces of small groups of people and am having trouble getting that larger than life "huge event" like sound. I'm also dealing with the fact that the event was completely outdoors and the ambience itself is rather dry and lifeless without interesting reflections. Although I've done several live mixes, I've never experimented with adding reverb to the whole mix. Does anyone have experience with this or suggestions? If so, what plugins, or hardwear units were used and how. Any tips and tricks would be much appreciated.
when entire mixes get sent through a reverb, i don't like any other device than quantec; a bit more of a choice when using efx on typical sends/returns...

but why bother about sending mixes through efx when you're still mixing? double/triple ambient mics and blur these with reverb!

however, reverb does not replace what ambient mics do, certainly not when recorded outdoors.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I remember a few live albums where they turn up crowd noise in certain spots (like opening/end climax) or for accents and dampen it in others.. Easy enough to do with volume envelopes. You could treat it like an instrument using eq and band passes. Sometimes if the crowd noise doesn't sit in the mix why not make it harsher to contrast of the song. If you have a few separated track/takes of crowd you should be in a decent position to achieve your goal. gl
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Here are a few video links of a record that I mixed where I went unconventional and put a reverb plugin on the master bus. I was handed only a single ambience mic to mix so I had to create ambience where there was very little. I've adopted this technique for several live records I've had the privilege of mixing since. Judge for yourself. Do whatever works to achieve the best possible outcome.

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I've done entire mixes thru a Bricasti M7 on occasion. Very low amounts, added in with the dry signal to taste. I believe I used Studio A which is basically just "ambience" no real ring out or tail. The result?

It was like crack cocaine. The several clients that I've done this for couldn't get enough of it. To me it really brought the otherwise fairly lifeless songs alive. (Too much compression and overly EQ'd) It was almost like a miracle when I first tried it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Abe View Post
Here are a few video links of a record that I mixed where I went unconventional and put a reverb plugin on the master bus. I was handed only a single ambience mic to mix so I had to create ambience where there was very little. I've adopted this technique for several live records I've had the privilege of mixing since. Judge for yourself. Do whatever works to achieve the best possible outcome.

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube
Yea interesting, pretty nice job! If you only had one ambience mic it gets tougher. There are ways (maybe in future to strip out some audience sounds) with spectral layers and create another separate single track of crowd noise and clapping etc.then add reverb to that track and remix.

layers: YouTube
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
make a reverb bus and high pass the bass out
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search