The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering for iPad speaker Mas­ter­ing Plugins
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear
Yawn.....always banging the same drum.

Daniel has carefully made the best master he can and is having a translation issue on one platform. Like any artist who cares he is trying to understand the issue and correct it in the future. He's never once said that he'd like to compromise his record for iPad playback.

Daniel - feel free to PM me a link to the track. I'll be back in L.A. at the end of this week and can check in the studio and help diagnose if you like.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Ruairi wrote: "Yawn.....always banging the same drum."

Someone has to. Our musical legacy is at stake.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear
If you were actually involved in the record making process you could make a difference, as it is you are just repeating yourself, anonymously.

If some of your posts were about great music, new techniques etc I would tune in but it's just the same thing over and over.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruairi View Post
If you were actually involved in the record making process you could make a difference, as it is you are just repeating yourself, anonymously.

If some of your posts were about great music, new techniques etc I would tune in but it's just the same thing over and over.
Great music? That's not the issue. it's what's done to it that make it unlistenable to me, compared to CDs and vinyl from 20-40 years ago.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_K_Man View Post
This is setting a bad precedent. I don't care if 'the majority' of listeners listen on their tablet/phone/laptop's built-in speaker: We should not be mastering for those platforms.
I'm not telling you to master for them. I'm just giving some pointers based on the description and issue presented here as to what could be causing the issues given the limitations of this specific reproduction method. Whether you consider this reproduction method worth considering in your working method is up to you.

I think I know two or three people personally who have a good system and listen to music with a proper amp etc. I know literally hundreds of people who play music out thru some of the crappiest dock speakers imaginable. In an ideal world, people would mix and master for the perfect system and leave the responsibility to the manufacturers to produce high enough quality systems - but that isn't reality due to cost and convenience.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Goodman View Post
I'm not telling you to master for them. I'm just giving some pointers based on the description and issue presented here as to what could be causing the issues given the limitations of this specific reproduction method. Whether you consider this reproduction method worth considering in your working method is up to you.

I think I know two or three people personally who have a good system and listen to music with a proper amp etc. I know literally hundreds of people who play music out thru some of the crappiest dock speakers imaginable. In an ideal world, people would mix and master for the perfect system and leave the responsibility to the manufacturers to produce high enough quality systems - but that isn't reality due to cost and convenience.

I have a dock: http://www.sonyinsider.com/wp-conten.../09/zss4ip.jpg

And to be honest, punchy, dynamic original unremastered stuff sounds pretty darn good on both it and my fullsized rig.

I believe mixing/mastering decisions have more impact than listening platform(built in phone speaker vs 100W stereo system). A pumped up brick wall job will sound louder over the phone without having to crank its volume, but the benefits stop there. On the big stereo, it will just sound like mud - magnified. Client/label demands be damned. Next please.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search