The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Am I Following This ME's Instructions
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Am I Following This ME's Instructions

Hi all,

The ME I've chosen for my latest project has asked me to please "leave off any peak limiting or loudness maximisation on your files."

I'm not familiar with these terms. Does this include, or refer to, compression on the master bus? As a bit of an experiment, I have one track out of ten with a compressor on the master bus, and I mixed into it from the beginning. It's a bit too late to remix the track.

Thanks,
RD
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

He's probably not referring to gentle mix bus compression. Peak limiting (squashing peaks) and loudness maximization (squashing peaks and bringing the volume up simultaneously) is a bit more specific. But feel free to mention it to him and see what he says.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
"leave off any peak limiting or loudness maximisation on your files."
I can see how that can be confusing. He doesn't differentiate between tracks and master bus.

He should have said leave any peak limiting or loudness maximizers off your MASTER BUS
Old 2 weeks ago
Basically, he just doesn't want you to send him files that have been squashed up into a limiter or loudness maximizer for the sake of sending a loud mix. He wants dynamics. The louder you send it to him, the less room he has to work with. His is a statement made with the intention of being efficient. If you sent him a smashed mix, he'd have to waste time telling you to send another mix with the limiter/maximizer taken off the master bus (which he would then have to wait for). It's better just to make the comment initially and avoid wasting time.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Mix bus compression is not peak limiting or loudness maximization. You're a mixer but you don't know what a limiter is?

You could also just ask him.

Also, if a mastering engineer asks you not to use a mix bus compressor, run away, he doesn't know what he's doing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search