The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to control peaks before going to the masterbus?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Volt9's Avatar
How to control peaks before going to the masterbus?

Hello all,

I was wondering if I control my peaks the right way, just to make it easier for my compressors on my master bus.

What I do now in Fabfilter Pro L2 on a bus and then I use Alt+Gain. It seems it controls the peaks but keep the level the same instead of normal limiter is increasing the gain.

But I just read in the manual that this is to listen for artifacts?

How do you control the peaks to make it easier for the masterbus to process?

Thank you for your insights!
Glenn
Old 2 weeks ago
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt9 View Post
How do you control the peaks to make it easier for the masterbus to process?
I don't.

It seems to me that if the peaks are such that a limiter is needed before mastering then there is likely a problem with the mix.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Volt9's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
I don't.

It seems to me that if the peaks are such that a limiter is needed before mastering then there is likely a problem with the mix.
It is done a lot. At least in electronic music, that I know of. Would like to explore the best way.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt9 View Post
It is done a lot. At least in electronic music, that I know of. Would like to explore the best way.
*Best* engineering practice when mixing would be to identify which individual tracks or instruments are causing the troublesome peaks, and tame those tracks as needed, to avoid unnecessarily processing all of the other tracks.

But if you feel you must use a limiter before your mastering chain then there's nothing wrong with using the unity gain button.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Volt9's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
*Best* engineering practice when mixing would be to identify which individual tracks or instruments are causing the troublesome peaks, and tame those tracks as needed, to avoid unnecessarily processing all of the other tracks.

But if you feel you must use a limiter before your mastering chain then there's nothing wrong with using the unity gain button.
Yeah, I was talking about put it on a bus. But all my individual instruments are on a bus. So that probably gave some confusion.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump